pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Using soft plastics for rockfish from shore - the basics [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:11 pm
CRASS

Primo post, dude! Glad to see something good to come of this aweful weather. haha. I knew i shoulda done something productive like this today!

Great job. Very Happy

كافر
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:54 pm
bigunindaboat

Thanks Clayman, I just watched this weeks angler west, Trinity River steelies, want to do a write up on that?

Haha, man I want to catch some steelhead, oh and shoot some birds, we had over 5" of rain here this weekend, too wet to do anything.

Even the turkeys on my property were soaked...I felt bad for them

~bigs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 pm
rambeezi

Awesome information!!!! <thumbup>
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:54 pm
itsakeeper

Dude, you've just increased our chances of catching some rockfish by 10 folds. Thanks for sharing bro.

itsakeeper
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:58 pm
CRASS

Some dropshot lures ive been meanin to try;

jewel sculpin, 3, 4 & 6", 8 colors

zoptum twin teaser, 3", 4 colors(the fur on a wacky rig? looks cool)

tabu wiptails, 3.5 & 4.5", 10 colors

as well as a handful of z-man lures.. i really wanna see if the durability claim is as good as they say. action is pretty good
and has anyone tried "Secret Weapon Spectastic Recoil Cord"? its like 15lb test and stretches up to 3x, so your weight stays put and you can give your lure alot of extra action.

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:58 am
clayman

bigunindaboat wrote:
Thanks Clayman, I just watched this weeks angler west, Trinity River steelies, want to do a write up on that?
~bigs

Haha, if I started writing about steelhead I'd end up writing a book! Sooo much to cover with those fish. That's cool they had the Trin on Angler West, maybe they'll put it up on YouTube. I'd like to see it.

CRASS wrote:
Some dropshot lures ive been meanin to try;

jewel sculpin, 3, 4 & 6", 8 colors

as well as a handful of z-man lures.. i really wanna see if the durability claim is as good as they say. action is pretty good
and has anyone tried "Secret Weapon Spectastic Recoil Cord"? its like 15lb test and stretches up to 3x, so your weight stays put and you can give your lure alot of extra action.

Those lures look legit Crass! The only question I have is if they'd be conducive to rigging weedless. I bought a package of goby-type plastics before, and when I rigged them weedless they lost all their action. When they were nose-hooked, they looked great, but then your snagging potential goes way up.

Never even heard of the "Secret Weapon Spectastic Recoil Cord", have to look that one up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:54 am
dsch2251

Beautiful, Thanks Clayman!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:46 am
salty nick

Great post, Clayman! Having been pretty much a baitfisherman for rockfish - you may have convinced me to give the lures a try off the rocks.
The detailed decription and pics of the weedless rigging are really helpful. Thanks.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 am
surfsamurai

Clayman for DA GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA!!! I'm pretty sure he will change the landscape of fisheries in Cali for the best... Nice work, brother!

That is a true contribution to all the anglers in the PFIC by taking your valuable time and sharing your knowledge in very constructive way. ACES!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 pm
CRASS

chris, have you tried nose hookin em with a weedless hook? thats how ive wacky rigged ALL my plastics(havent found a fishy spot with a bottom like a swimmin pool yet, lol) so im sure on the nose itd be fine, too
this is Gami's Wide Gap Finesse hook with the weedless wire

but ive seen people tie their own weed guards with mono, but i dunno, id figure wire would be better.

as well as, they do like the first step of weedless riggin a worm with a small soft plastic tube, then snell that to the top of the hook and use it as a weedguard... uuuuh... leeemmeeee...

screencap!

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 pm
halibutsnatcher

nice job clayman. That totally helped me. Should definetly be set up to be a sticky post so anglers know how to fish off a jetty for rockfish!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm
bass_turd77

Zoptum twin teaser?!? Weedless Wide Gap Finesse hooks? Dude, Crass, where do you find all this cutting edge crap lol?

The tabu thingys look nice, but I don't think you really need a super realistic bait for rockfish, they're generally not as picky as largemouths can be. I'm in the "rockcod are dumb" school of thought; I've seen them go for friggin shiny hooks and sinkers. Improved action definitely helps, which is why I'm big on handpours on a ds rig. Weedless nosehook - that ought to be nice. A couple different light/dark colors, sizes and profiles to cover a few bases handle it so far for me in the bait dept., but clayman knows his stuff; listen to him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 pm
Louis

much thank you for posting this in depth report, but as a beginner myself I would like to ask how these lures are supposed to be fished, do i just cast out and steadily retrieve with some pauses in between or am i supposed to do something special like jerking the rod?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:36 pm
iamfisherman

clayman wrote:
Yes, I had a lot of free time on my hands today Very Happy.

What...not drifting the trinity or plug'n lake almanor?

Nice write up...wish i had some free time...work'n 10-12 hour days ain't so fun...especially when you know you ain't getting paid for about 2-4 of those hours...Sad
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 pm
clayman

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Above all else I hope that this helps out anyone interested in throwing artificials from the rocks. It took me many years of trial and error to get the hang of it. This is hardly a definitive guide on catching rockfish from shore with lures, but it should point some folks in the right direction.

CRASS wrote:
chris, have you tried nose hookin em with a weedless hook? thats how ive wacky rigged ALL my plastics(havent found a fishy spot with a bottom like a swimmin pool yet, lol) so im sure on the nose itd be fine, too

Those weedless finesse Gamakatsu hooks look mighty fine! I've never tried them, but they'd certainly be worth a shot. I bet nose-hooking one of those goby plastics with that hook and making it dance on a dropshot would kick butt.

Louis wrote:
much thank you for posting this in depth report, but as a beginner myself I would like to ask how these lures are supposed to be fished, do i just cast out and steadily retrieve with some pauses in between or am i supposed to do something special like jerking the rod?

I recommend doing a YouTube search on how to fish plastic worms and jerkbaits for freshwater bass. It's basically the same way you want to fish plastics for rockfish. Think about what you're trying to imitate with your lure, like a small baitfish. Twitch your rod tip to make that thing jiggle & jive. You want to make it look alive! As for the curlytail grubs, you don't need to do much with those; just crank em in and let the tail do the work for you.

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 2 of 5  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: