pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> SC skiffin' Friday 08-12-05 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:44 pm
phishinpat

Hooked up with OCD and Sam, got our free skiff and headed out to find some rockfish.
Rockfish we found, not the big rockies and constant action of our last trip. But steady pickin's to limits. No lings, one due to my bad gaffing and four more were hitch hikers who let go on the way up, got to see two of these four. All hitch hikers came on OCD's rod.
No lings for me, not even shorts. But I did get two very nice vermillions on Fishtraps. I tied bait for about three minutes then went back to the swimbaits.
Beautiful day with very slow drift and winds didn't pick up till late around 1pm or so, and when it did it wasn't as bad as last time.

Oh...and all the hitch hiker lings all came from one area...No other area produced any lings at all.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:06 pm
dsrtegl

Given those conditions.....MOST of the big lings I have caught in the past has been a hitchhiker. The secret is a SLOW retreive to the surface with an occasional pause to let the ling pull back....kinda like a tug-o-war. Once near the surface...The net man has to be FAST and perfectly accurate or goodbye ling.

Derek

Sigh!....Wish I could go skiffing!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:27 pm
phishinpat

dsrtegl wrote:
Given those conditions.....MOST of the big lings I have caught in the past has been a hitchhiker. The secret is a SLOW retreive to the surface with an occasional pause to let the ling pull back....kinda like a tug-o-war. Once near the surface...The net man has to be FAST and perfectly accurate or goodbye ling.

Derek

Sigh!....Wish I could go skiffing!

Yeah, I think we would've gotten at least two of the hitch hikers if we had a net. I'll have to start bringing it with me. Maybe my own gaff, as their's wasn't that sharp.

Com'on down Derek...the rockies await.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:11 am
pinfish

what do you guys mean by hitchhikers?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:39 am
q3fishboy

Lings often "hitchhike" by grabbing and trying to eat a small rockfish that the angler has already hooked, and the Lng will often hang on all the way to the surface before letting go.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:02 pm
tranbaby2

Free Skiff?
How did you manage to get that?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:33 am
salty nick

Nice going, Pat! Did you guys go out far?
At Capitola rentals, they had a 2.5 mi limit - is it same for Santa Cruz skiffs?
Also, I know canaries, cowcod and yellows are off limits, not sure I can ID as opposed to Vermillion - did you catch any of those where you hit the vermillion? Thx.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:31 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
Nice going, Pat! Did you guys go out far?
At Capitola rentals, they had a 2.5 mi limit - is it same for Santa Cruz skiffs?
Also, I know canaries, cowcod and yellows are off limits, not sure I can ID as opposed to Vermillion - did you catch any of those where you hit the vermillion? Thx.

Salty.

After you rent 5 full day trips the 6th one is on the house. I'm sure I still have a free ride ticket some where at home.

You'll notice a canary as they have very distinct orange markings on the face and body. Vermillions are totally red with no orange. Cowcod and yellow eyes are deepwater rockfish, so you won't really run into them much.

We didn't go out too deep as we didn't have a fish finder and didn't wanna get in trouble for fishing too deep. I think we fish no deeper than 80-90ft of water. They really don't trip of me taking the skiff out too far, as I rented skiffs so many times in the last few years. They know that I can and my crew can handle the water.

let's set something up salty.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: