pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> SC Skiffin' [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:07 pm
phishinpat

Went out with Thomas(OCD) and his neighbor yesterday the 4th of August out of Santa Cruz for some rockfish.

This is the first time I really tried using swimbaits. The black and purple, 7inch FT worked best. And they work really well. I got four fattie rockies, two vermillions and two copper averaging about 6lbs each. Then some smaller blacks about 2lbs. No lings for me. But Thomas got one about 6lbs and his neighbor got a really nice one about 8-9lbs. Not limits but fun till the wind kicked up. The last couple drifts we made, 10oz was barely holding bottom, but we still caught fish.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:08 pm
thecrw

Also try scampis and grubs. They've big ones to catch even bigger fish. I've got a 1 lb lead head w/ a 9" scampi body for the Big Lings.
Scampis and grub tails also last a bit longer since the fish don't have that fat tail to grab onto.
Also, alot of baits are made differently. Some are super soft = torn up baits. At Gus', they've got some scampis that are made w/ a more durable rubber and they last much longer. Also, mess w/ the glow in the dark ones.

~Elric
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:38 pm
ark

Good deal Pat. Nice big fatties there that you nabbed. Glad that Thomas got into some nice fish as well. Too bad I've got too much fish in the freezer otherwise I'd try to go on another boat ride.
I'll probably give some away and then try the Tigerfish again for next weekend.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:14 pm
crazyguy

Sounds like you got some fatty rockfish Pat. Where from the Wharf did you guys head out to? Thanks. PM me if you want.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:38 pm
phishinpat

Elric,
Yeah I have a 6oz round lead head that I got and one white scampi. But I didn't get a chance to use. Once the wind picked up I switched over to bait. The first swimbait I used had a regular unpainted head, then I switched over to a glow head and I personally think that it made a difference.

Ark,
Fish never last long in my freezer. My girls relatives always come over to chitchat after my fishing trips and they seem to always leave with a parting gift...hehe. Man I would love to get out on a party boat but I'm moving next weekend. I might try to finish on Saturday and sneak off for a skiff trip on Sunday. Not sure yet.

CG,
Straight out from the light house in about 60-80ft. of water and to the north alil bit. I'm not sure if this is the SouthRock area or not, I think that SouthRock is actually a lil further out.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:52 am
salty nick

Nice rockfish haul, Pat! I want to try the SC skiffs one of these days. Were the reefs easy to find? Probably some boats congregating in the area.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:12 pm
ark

Hey Salty. Next time you go out on a skiff, let me know. Maybe I can join you too.
This weekend, I'm off to the Farallones though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:22 am
grammar police

Pat,

Nice haul. Let me know your plans for Sun. Looks like SC will be a no go unless you have boats on hold. Looks like OCD's skiff is a go. But unable to get any rentals.

All,
SC boat rentals is slammed this weekend. A waiting list has been established for both Sat. and Sun.

Capitola still has 7 boats open for reservations.

I have one reserved in Capitola and may need to cancel due to heads dropping out. If someone wants to take over the reservations, hit me up and I'll give you all the info. I will cancel after work Fri. at the latest.

I'll echo the swimbait/hard jigs crushing the hungry fish. It seems more advantageous to not have to keep rebaiting and use a swim/hard bait jig to crush the monsters. One side tid-bit, use a teaser fly about 12" up from the hard bait and await a second tug while fishing. Double your pleasure!

Colors working well this year:
Jigs: (Short and fat ones working slightly better than the long and thin) Black and silver - purple and black - yellow and black - Nickel plated *polished (Smooth and Hammered)

Teaser feathers: (Any with mylar strips) yellow and orange - yellow and red - pink and white - pink and yellow - red and white

I have a friend, Harry Boos who hand ties the teaser flies and hand paints the hand molded hard jigs as well. You may have seen his stuff in stores a few years back. Much cheaper than buying from a store (1/3 the price). Only kicker is you'd have to visit his home in Sunnyvale to purchase. No website/phone order ability. I could get a fairly large order together in preps for his next batch. I have a box filled with misc. ones I could photo or show to anyone interested.

Happy jigging!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:11 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
Nice rockfish haul, Pat! I want to try the SC skiffs one of these days. Were the reefs easy to find? Probably some boats congregating in the area.

Salty.

The reefs aren't too hard to find. Just like you mentioned, you'll see boats on top of the reefs. Just look for calm water in midst of all the ripples. Try fishing edges of the reefs, that's where OCD's ling came up as soon as his weight hit bottom, then we difted on top of the reef for no fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:31 pm
phishinpat

grammar police wrote:
Pat,

Nice haul. Let me know your plans for Sun. Looks like SC will be a no go unless you have boats on hold. Looks like OCD's skiff is a go. But unable to get any rentals.

All,
SC boat rentals is slammed this weekend. A waiting list has been established for both Sat. and Sun.

Capitola still has 7 boats open for reservations.

I have one reserved in Capitola and may need to cancel due to heads dropping out. If someone wants to take over the reservations, hit me up and I'll give you all the info. I will cancel after work Fri. at the latest.

I'll echo the swimbait/hard jigs crushing the hungry fish. It seems more advantageous to not have to keep rebaiting and use a swim/hard bait jig to crush the monsters. One side tid-bit, use a teaser fly about 12" up from the hard bait and await a second tug while fishing. Double your pleasure!

Colors working well this year:
Jigs: (Short and fat ones working slightly better than the long and thin) Black and silver - purple and black - yellow and black - Nickel plated *polished (Smooth and Hammered)

Teaser feathers: (Any with mylar strips) yellow and orange - yellow and red - pink and white - pink and yellow - red and white

I have a friend, Harry Boos who hand ties the teaser flies and hand paints the hand molded hard jigs as well. You may have seen his stuff in stores a few years back. Much cheaper than buying from a store (1/3 the price). Only kicker is you'd have to visit his home in Sunnyvale to purchase. No website/phone order ability. I could get a fairly large order together in preps for his next batch. I have a box filled with misc. ones I could photo or show to anyone interested.

Happy jigging!

Yeah, I would like to see the flies and metal jigs...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:05 pm
dkkim

Once I catch a blue or black, I just bait it and hope for a hitchiker. Just remember that it is one of your bag limits. Dang, I gotta get out and fish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:06 pm
grammar police

phishinpat wrote:

Yeah, I would like to see the flies and metal jigs...

Pat I made a seperate thread on this topic... with pics.

Word.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: