pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Jacksmelt Is Not Just For Bait [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

And before you all go "Ewwwwww," there are links for recipes; however, here are my quickies, after cleaning the beautiful little fishies:

1) Dredge in egg or milk and dry bread crumbs or cornmeal, then pan fry in olive oil/vegetable oil w/ finely chopped garlic. You will need to flip and test for doneness w/ fork for flakiness.

2) Insert small branches of FRESH rosemary in the cavity, along w/ THINLY sliced lemons or limes. Lay some more of the rosemary and citrus on top. Steam until flesh flakes.

The jacksmelt, when cooked, is brilliant white, has a lovely texture and very flavorful. Oh yeah, remove the rosemary before consuming, and yes, there are lots of bones--but still wonderful to eat.

About those parasites? CHECK the flesh, and cooking will kill them. (Incidentally, there are parasites in other protein sources, inside and on your own body, etc.)

And if anyone has any other recipes, I sure would like to see them posted.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 am
seabass_seeker

I've heard of people saying that they have mushy worm ridden flesh, but here in Goleta they've got firm clearblue meat that turns firm white when cooked. One of my favorites actually. As far as worms go, I'm not eating jacksmelt sashimi, but I have seen worms in all types of fish; mackerel, sardine, bass etc.

I like them gutted, cleaned, and deep fried whole too. Sometimes I'll drop em in with a little tempura batter or beer batter (2 cups pancake mix with about 1 cup of cheapest beer possible). Fry until extra crispy and you can eat right through the bones.

CatchinKelp has a recipe that calls for smoked jacksmelt too! I'm still waiting to try that.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:47 am
edgarsi26

MMMMMMMM.!!
That does sound good Very Happy

2010 Stats
Stripers:0
Halibut:0(missed 1)
Smelt:101
Stingrays:2
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:34 am
muttfishr

When you catch a bunch of smelt, scale and gut them, cut the heads off and save in a ziplock for bait, all I've ever done was panfry them same as you already mentioned...mutt.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am
sea_forager

Sorry for the thread necro, but wanted to say thanks for putting up a jacksmelt recipe that didn't involve frying, not that I'm against that-- I pan fried up to tasty perch yesterday actually-- but I do love steamed, baked, broiled, and braised fish as well. I've been catching so many smelt the last few outings and simple recipes for them are hard to come by, so this is great.

Worm wise, I've found that the younger/smaller ones (~9") have less if any, though I'm usually catching bigger ones when I do, but if you cook them well enough it'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:04 pm
Tifoso

seabass_seeker wrote:
I've heard of people saying that they have mushy worm ridden flesh, but here in Goleta they've got firm clearblue meat that turns firm white when cooked. One of my favorites actually. As far as worms go, I'm not eating jacksmelt sashimi, but I have seen worms in all types of fish; mackerel, sardine, bass etc.

I like them gutted, cleaned, and deep fried whole too. Sometimes I'll drop em in with a little tempura batter or beer batter (2 cups pancake mix with about 1 cup of cheapest beer possible). Fry until extra crispy and you can eat right through the bones.

CatchinKelp has a recipe that calls for smoked jacksmelt too! I'm still waiting to try that.

My dad (God rest his soul Sad ) loved 'em. As do I. Would be a dream come true to actually fish for them, actually Smile

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: