pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Boat fishing info needed :) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am
brbrice

Hi guys,

My friend just purchased a 19' power boat (Bayliner, Maxum, or something). He planned to take it to the lake (Del Valle, etc) but that was really boring since the speed limit was 10MPH. Sad

We took it to Discovery Bay and into the waterways of the Delta to test her out... boy are there tons of places to get to and go. Launch fees were expensive though... $20!

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions to a good boat fishing forum? We really need all the basic info.. as we've only been pier/shore fishing before. Help! Smile

Anything we need to know about fishing from a boat (ie. types of rods/equipment)? Any helpful guides/FAQ out there? Any good places to go? We have already puchased a GPS and are planning to get a VHF radio.

Also, I noticed that there are some free boat launch ramps in Alameda so we might be trying the Bay waters soon. Are "free" public launches pretty common (any other free ones in the East Bay/South Bay)?

Finally, do you think his boat is Ocean worthy? Going past the GG or launching into the ocean too tough for his 19' boat?

Thanks all!
-Brian
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:46 am
stripesidechaser

Hey Brian. I just recently bought a 20' maxum, and live in the delta. Disco bay is okay, but you're right, those are high launch fees.
Lauritzens (on bridgehead rd) charges $10.00, Sandy Beach (in Rio Vista) charges $5.00, and Brannon Island charges $10.00.
Also, there is a free ramp in Pittsburg, but I don't remember exactly where.

I put a Lowrance GPS and color FF in my boat, and it has come in handy a couple of times already, as the delta can be a pretty confusing area until you really learn it.
I also added a VHF radio, but mainly for the bay/ocean.

One good site is fishsniffer.com... there are a few people from this board that post there. Also, anglernet.net and fullspeedfishing.com.

As far as equipment... most pier tackle will work fine (10+' surf rods are a bit ungainly).
One big rule to remember is that you CANNOT even possess a gaff in a boat on the delta (I have caught myself on that one, after doing an ocean trip, followed by a river trip).
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 am
pescare

Just a reminder: If you get lost among the several dozen sites available that actually focus on boat fishing ( I have to do that - it's in my contract), don't forget one run by a PFIC alum - Get Bent.

Eli's place, Anglernet, is cool too and the focus is more on the central and northern parts of the state.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:58 pm
brbrice

Hey thanks guys! I'll check out the various forums that you guys suggest. I thought fishing from piers/shore was confusing enough (ie. tides, targeting species, regs, etc) ... now have to learn and try it on the water! Smile

Stripesidechaser, did you take your boat out past the GG? How did it handle? Is it likely to get you seasick (ie. the paths in the delta were pretty calm)?

-Brian
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: