pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> An act of unspoken kindness that deserves acknowledgement. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:03 am
red fish

James your kindness deserves great reward because it showed selflessness and a willingness to help others that are trying their best but need a little help at times. Your rod wrapping seminar was an outstanding event and your helping people with repairs far exceeded what was expected. Thus, I was inspired and moved by this act.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am

i agree with Red. G-Dude, thanks for introducing us to the world of rod-wrapping. too bad i was so intent on following on the footsteps of mel and tried going after stripers that i came to class tardy. also it was great to meet with some fellow msgboard legends.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:44 am
minnowmagnet

I also agree.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:32 pm
gyozadude

Much obliged you guys. I was expecting more folks to show up and get their rods fixed. But there wasn't much of a queue for rod work. The rod I had in the jig is shown below. It's getting it's first coat of finish on it. "Mango Chutney" is the name I gave it... yeah, another food.

It's getting ready for a rockfish trip soon.

mango-rod-20050707.jpg
 Description:
Mango Chutney Rod from Paradise Rod Seminar
 Filesize:  87.93 KB
 Viewed:  10048 Time(s)

mango-rod-20050707.jpg

Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:20 am
mtnviewfisher

I agree. To see the rod go from a blank to a semi-completed rod was very interesting...so interesting in fact that I've decided to try it out myself.

For now I've taken a small rod that GrammarPolice had and stripped it down. I'll be heading on down to the Rod Rack this weekend to pick up some supplies and probably a book on the topic.

Depending on how that goes, I'll probably try making one from start to finish.

Thanks James for introducing me to another element of fishing. I'm sure it will come in handy on those days when I can't get out to do some fishing.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:08 am

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0003511315280a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat410036&podId=0003511&catalogCode=IF&parentId=cat410036&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&hasJS=true

Hey G-Dude,
does this seem like an adequate cheaper alternative to your machine? I am also stripping down an older rod (actually two beefsticks).
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 am
mtnviewfisher

Hey 1014, let me know of any "gotchas" you find out during your rod building... I'll do the same.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:26 pm

right mtnviewfisher... the wifey is out of town next weekend, so ima turn the living room into my little laboratory. first thing is to strip that pole to just the blank!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:59 pm
gyozadude

I have a similar older version of that Cabela's wrapper and it's not very good. The felt V-cuts aren't as easily turned as wheels.

I'd recommend getting the discount wrapper (Item: IF-316076) for $28 that includes 3 C-clamps and has wheels.

I'd recommend the rod motor off of eBay from seller "calljmf"

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcalljmf

I have 3 motors from this guy. All 4.8 RPM. I'd buy the reamers separately from Jann's Netcraft.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 pm
phishinpat

That's a sweet looking rod James, can't wait to see it in action. What reel did you have in mind for it?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:21 pm
gyozadude

I was thinking an old beater Calcutta 400 or Cabela's MRP 200. I'm leaning towards cheap and usable, versus anything high end.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:30 pm
phishinpat

gyozadude wrote:
I was thinking an old beater Calcutta 400 or Cabela's MRP 200. I'm leaning towards cheap and usable, versus anything high end.

Yeah, the calcutta 400 sounds nice on there. Alan will be able to flip it out for you too.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:19 am
tacedeous

thats a nice rod, i was looking at cabelas kit for around $99 no wraping motor though, do you feel this is a nececity?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:34 am
dsrtegl

G-Dude....How about a Bass Pro Shops Gold Megacast Reel. The gold would look great on that rod.

300-023-00.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.72 KB
 Viewed:  9915 Time(s)

300-023-00.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:35 pm
gyozadude

I've owned two Basspro round cheap baitcasters and I've had durability issues with their leaf spring clicker. But I have old Calcutta and MRP200's in stock.

BTW, I just got a report from Alaska that one of my rods built on the same blank landed a 40lb salmon from shore! I'm waiting for a picture.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: