pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Conventional reel (Abu 6501) question... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:49 am
salty nick

While using an Abu Garcia 6501 C3(lefty), I noticed every once-in-a-while it would freeze when cranking the handle to engage the drag. The handle would turn, but the drag wouldn't get into gear. I figured out to help it along, I could pull out the freespool button with my fingernail, then turn the handle, and it would engage. Knowing nothing about baitcasters, does anyone know if that is something I can easily fix myself - or is it time for the tackle shop? I've never attempted to open a conventional up.
Thanks in advance.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:20 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
While using an Abu Garcia 6501 C3(lefty), I noticed every once-in-a-while it would freeze when cranking the handle to engage the drag. The handle would turn, but the drag wouldn't get into gear. I figured out to help it along, I could pull out the freespool button with my fingernail, then turn the handle, and it would engage. Knowing nothing about baitcasters, does anyone know if that is something I can easily fix myself - or is it time for the tackle shop? I've never attempted to open a conventional up.
Thanks in advance.

Salty.

What do you mean by "cranking the handle to engage the drag", if your drag is set proper or lite the spool won't spin when cranking. Say you have a fish on and it's pulling out drag, if your drag is set lite, you can crank all you want but the spool won't spin.

I think you are talking about cranking to get the reel in gear so you can reel up!?

My C5 does that sometimes, i just use my thumb to turn the spool and then turn the hanlde and then disengage and re-engage(?) with the handle.
Sometimes I just have to keep pushing the thumbar then turn the handle, this usually works most of the time. Try pushing the button down again without manually pulling it out. Hope this helps. If not hollar at alan tani.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:27 pm
salty nick

Yeah, Pat, that's what I meant, after dropping down my rig in freespool mode, I crank the handle to reel up a little - but it just slips and doesn't go into gear. I'll try the moving the spool with the thumb and pushing the button tricks. Thanks for the tips!

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:40 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
Yeah, Pat, that's what I meant, after dropping down my rig in freespool mode, I crank the handle to reel up a little - but it just slips and doesn't go into gear. I'll try the moving the spool with the thumb and pushing the button tricks. Thanks for the tips!

Salty.

let me know if it works for ya, if not I'll hook ya up with alan.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:41 am
gyozadude

Sounds like some gunk has gotten between the release plate and crank side of the reel and needs cleaning and lube. It's more common on thumbar releases on all baitcasters, but can affect even Abu c3s on occasion.

Maintenance can be tricky if you haven't done this before since there is an order to how to disassemble the mechanism, clean, and relube it. It is not accessible simply by taking down the 3 quick-release screws on the crank side. You'll need to also remove the handle, then remove the two plate securing screws and lift the side plate off the gears which should expose the inner gearing. I usually take this opportunity to give the reel a complete overhaul, so have some soap, water, toothbrush, reel grease and oil, roll of paper towels and spare parts box available. When you've got the side plate off, it's a good time to also disassemble the levelwind worm gear and scrub the grit out of the races, and check the condition of the worm gear rocker tooth and shim for corrosion.

Since I own a lot of Abu's, I service them myself. It's not difficult, IMO, if you fix reels a lot, but it probably isn't for the novices out there, and I'd never warranty any of my own work. If you want someone you can trust to work on your reel, either Ron Crandall or Alan Tani are trusted names.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:57 am
mel

Sorry to go off-topic on the off-topic board, but James, I'd like to get my Sealine-x's redone. They really need it. I'll have to try and get them to you one day.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:28 am
pescare

Mel, just as an FYI, with the new format it's real easy to reach each other. Just click on the PM button below the text of any message or use "memberlist" at the top of the page to easily send a message directly. Nice feature.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:33 pm
gyozadude

mel wrote:
Sorry to go off-topic on the off-topic board, but James, I'd like to get my Sealine-x's redone. They really need it. I'll have to try and get them to you one day.

Sure, Mel, just let me know when you wanna drop the rods off. I'm still recovering from too much salmon fishing in B.C. and need something less strenuous on the fore-arms and back than haul up salmon after salmon after salmon.

I caught most of them on a re-built Cabela's predator rod too, and it was just so much satisfaction to cast so far that I could steal the fish from out under the boats moored off shore, and outfish those guys dropping lures over board.

So re-built can be as good or better than new!

fcfishingaug2005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.94 KB
 Viewed:  7417 Time(s)

fcfishingaug2005.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:32 am
mel

pescare wrote:
Mel, just as an FYI, with the new format it's real easy to reach each other. Just click on the PM button below the text of any message or use "memberlist" at the top of the page to easily send a message directly. Nice feature.

oh.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:40 am
salty nick

Nice, G-dude.
Beautiful country up there - fish too!
Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:31 am
gyozadude

Our esteemed resident bald eagles that nest nearby. Man, I saw the nest from a top a hill, and the thing is massive. The birds make the seagulls look like sparrows, but the irony, is I think the bald eagles are wimps. I saw a couple of seagulls chase one away from some fish gutts on shore that the other gulls were feasting on.

Some of the anglers are local residents, and like me, if we kill what we catch, then the small pocket knife comes out and we field dress the fish with a standard gill and gutt immediately so as to preserve the flavour of the fish. I would usually then walk my fish back home, drop off with the wife, then walk back out again only to see a huge flock of seagulls fighting over the innards. It didn't leave much room for the eagles to eat.

For some reason, I kept humming a tune in my head, "...and I ra-a-a-an; I ran so far awa-a-a-ay.... but couldn't get a way..."

This is blown up from cheap 1.3mpix camera, and from a distance, so it doesn't do the birds justice. But very cool.

It is dangerous though for kids. We have black bears and cougar sitings on the golf course just behind our complex and the kids are warned not to stray by themselves into the woods.

I'm heading up to Portland in a couple of weeks for business. I'm not sure if it's worth a quick jaunt up north 7 hours in a car to hit the salmon again. The chinook should be dominating the runs out there by then.

fcbaldeagle_aug2005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.93 KB
 Viewed:  7369 Time(s)

fcbaldeagle_aug2005.jpg

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: