Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> SoCal Pierfishing Derby - Oceanside Pier 3/27 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm
kelpangler

Let's make up for last month!

Our next pierfishing derby is Mar. 27 at Oceanside Pier from 9AM to 1PM to benefit UPSAC's outreach and conservation efforts. Not only will you be helping a worthy organization, it'll be a chance to meet your fellow pier rats and to engage in some friendly competition. There's no food for the event so you'll have to bring your own lunch, but we'll have a raffle for some nice prizes. In addition, we'll be handing out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons/certificates to the winners. So please reply and let us know if you'll make it!

Place: Oceanside Pier
Date/Time: Saturday, Mar. 27, 9AM to 1PM
Entry Fee: $10 (includes bait, while supplies last, and 1 raffle ticket)

Raffle Prizes: These guys believe in what UPSAC's all about and we appreciate their support.

- Subscriptions to Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine
- voucher for 2 on a half-day or twilight boat out of Marina del Rey Sportfishing
- reel/rod combos from Wylie's Bait Shop
- lure/jig packs from Sunrize Tackle/Big Hammer
- ghost shrimp vouchers and $10 gift certificate from Paul's Bait and Tackle
- copy of PFIC from Pier Fishing in California/Ken Jones
- and more...

Our thanks to Oceanside Pier Bait Shop for hosting us, Paul's Bait and Tackle for providing bait for the derby, NOAA for providing goody bags (while supplies last), and AT&T Interactive for their financial support.

Rules

- Each paid participant will receive a score card.
- The fishing area is limited to the pier only.
- Two rods are allowed with (2) hooks max. on each rod.
- Any bait or lure is allowed.
- Upon catching a fish the judge will be summoned to mark the participant’s card. The card will be marked by the judge according to the chart below.
- All DFG regulations will be followed.
- If the fish meets DFG regulations and the angler wishes to keep it, it will be marked to ensure the fish won't be counted again.

Here is a partial list of species and points. Points for species not listed below will be determined by the judges.
Perch, Smelt, Blacksmith, Sardine, Senorita 1 (max 6 pts per species) | Mackerel, Rock Wrasse, Rockfish, Kelpfish, Halfmoon, Sargo 2 (max 6 pts per species) | Bass (under 12") 5 | Bass (12" or more) 10 | Bonito 10 (max 20 pts) | Ocean Whitefish 10 | Opaleye (under 12") 5 | Opaleye (12" or more) 10 | Scorpionfish (under 10") 5 | Scorpionfish (10" or more) 10 | Sheephead (under 12") 5 | Sheephead (12" or more) 10 | Cabezon (under 15") 10 | Cabezon (15" or more) 20 | Halibut (under 22") 10 | Halibut (22" or more) 20 | Leopard Shark (under 36") 10 | Leopard Shark (36" or more) 20 | White Seabass (under 30") 10 | White sea bass (30" or more) 20 | Barracuda (under 28") 15 | Barracuda (28" or more) 20 | Yellowtail 30 | Garibaldi 0

1. kelpangler (Eugene)
2. Del
3. digsblues
4. tunafshr93

Last edited by kelpangler on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:41 am
Riplee781

Im down to roll out there +1 maybe 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:26 pm
Del

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:40 pm
digsblues

I'll be there. In fact, going tonight to practice.

Also I have a secret bait tip that I will be trying out tonight. Met a guy on the pier that was fishing with his son. No one else was catching ANYTHING, and they were reeling them in. I asked him what he was using, and he showed me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 pm
Riplee781

Bad news, cant make it out to the derby. Whole lot of things going on, going to be impossible to get out there.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:29 am
digsblues

Well, it was cold and windy last night with big waves - not the ideal night for fishing. We caught one perch and one croaker. Had another one hooked, but my friend was watching the wrong pole, and it got away just as it hit the surface. Walked up and down and saw people catching some, mostly croakers and perch. The fishing wasn't great, but the regulars seemed to think that as the weather stays warm, the water will get warmer and there should be lots better fishing in a week.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 pm
vin

kelpangler wrote:
Let's make up for last month!

Our next pierfishing derby is Mar. 27 at Oceanside Pier from 9AM to 1PM to benefit UPSAC's outreach and conservation efforts. Not only will you be helping a worthy organization, it'll be a chance to meet your fellow pier rats and to engage in some friendly competition. There's no food for the event so you'll have to bring your own lunch, but we'll have a raffle for some nice prizes. In addition, we'll be handing out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons/certificates to the winners. So please reply and let us know if you'll make it!

Place: Oceanside Pier
Date/Time: Saturday, Mar. 27, 9AM to 1PM
Entry Fee: $10 (includes bait, while supplies last, and 1 raffle ticket)

Raffle Prizes: These guys believe in what UPSAC's all about and we appreciate their support.

- Subscriptions to Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine
- voucher for 2 on a half-day or twilight boat out of Marina del Rey Sportfishing
- reel/rod combos from Wylie's Bait Shop
- lure/jig packs from Sunrize Tackle/Big Hammer
- ghost shrimp vouchers and $10 gift certificate from Paul's Bait and Tackle
- copy of PFIC from Pier Fishing in California/Ken Jones
- and more...

Our thanks to Oceanside Pier Bait Shop for hosting us, Paul's Bait and Tackle for providing bait for the derby, NOAA for providing goody bags (while supplies last), and AT&T Interactive for their financial support.

Rules

- Each paid participant will receive a score card.
- The fishing area is limited to the pier only.
- Two rods are allowed with (2) hooks max. on each rod.
- Any bait or lure is allowed.
- Upon catching a fish the judge will be summoned to mark the participant’s card. The card will be marked by the judge according to the chart below.
- All DFG regulations will be followed.
- If the fish meets DFG regulations and the angler wishes to keep it, it will be marked to ensure the fish won't be counted again.

Here is a partial list of species and points. Points for species not listed below will be determined by the judges.
Perch, Smelt, Blacksmith, Sardine, Senorita 1 (max 6 pts per species) | Mackerel, Rock Wrasse, Rockfish, Kelpfish, Halfmoon, Sargo 2 (max 6 pts per species) | Bass (under 12") 5 | Bass (12" or more) 10 | Bonito 10 (max 20 pts) | Ocean Whitefish 10 | Opaleye (under 12") 5 | Opaleye (12" or more) 10 | Scorpionfish (under 10") 5 | Scorpionfish (10" or more) 10 | Sheephead (under 12") 5 | Sheephead (12" or more) 10 | Cabezon (under 15") 10 | Cabezon (15" or more) 20 | Halibut (under 22") 10 | Halibut (22" or more) 20 | Leopard Shark (under 36") 10 | Leopard Shark (36" or more) 20 | White Seabass (under 30") 10 | White sea bass (30" or more) 20 | Barracuda (under 28") 15 | Barracuda (28" or more) 20 | Yellowtail 30 | Garibaldi 0

1. kelpangler (Eugene)

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm
tunafshr93

i'll be there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 am
Ken Jones

Ed at the Oceanside Pier B&T says he expects a large turnout. Last week the pier produced 12 bat rays weighing over 100 pounds.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 pm
pier assasin

too far for me
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

It's always on the 3rd or last saturday which I have to work. Also Bat Rays are not posted for any points at the last couple outings. At least give them something. No respect? Some probaly will be caught down there.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 am
kelpangler

Guys, sorry I haven't been updating the thread—been super busy at work. Please let us know if you're gonna make it. I hear we've got some really nice prizes being lined up for this derby (courtesy of Ed at Oceanside Pier Bait Shop). Also, we may include another prize category for biggest fish—stay tuned.

BRD, I'll update the scoring to include bat rays. The last derby actually saw a couple of them and they were counted and scored.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:05 pm
digsblues

Went to the pier this AM to check out the fishing. Saw quite a few people catching perch very close to shore. One guy was using crabs he got from the jetty just south of the pier and he had some good sized perch.

No one was fishing in the middle of the pier, maybe because there was a seal there scaring off all of the fish. Hope the seal is not there Saturday!

Toward the end, lots of mackerel were being caught.

Other than that, not much action.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 pm
kelpangler

digsblues, thanks for the update. Looks like a sunny day with temps in the low 70's.

In addition to the prizes already mentioned above, if we have enough people we'll have a Gdude Special (rod/reel combo) and a Shimano reel to give away!

Also... we won't be having a biggest fish winner--it's still based on the number/quality of fish you catch. My reasoning is that I just want to keep things simple for now. With the exception of being recognized for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, each participant simply has an equal chance at winning a prize with their $10 entry fee.

Thanks!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 am
digsblues

Getting really excited about tomorrow. Just got back from the pier and fishing is picking up! And the seal was still there.

I was only there for a walk to the end and back and saw a whole lot of fish being caught - okay, mostly small ones, but the big ones follow, right?

I saw one guy catch 10 mackerel on 2 casts with a sabiki rig. And they were good size fish.

Also saw one halibut, but it was not quite big enough to keep. Lots of croakers being landed and perch. Almost everyone had something.

Really hopeful for tomorrow.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: