pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Sea Sickness on a boat? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:38 am
mtnviewfisher


Posts: 36

Maybe we'll see you out there Ark, I'll be on a different boat but also pulling out of HMB.

Good luck.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 am
grammar police


Posts: 441

Queen of Hearts trip with Harry Boos.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:49 pm
ark


Posts: 110

grammar police wrote:
Queen of Hearts trip with Harry Boos.


Queen of Hearts is a good boat. I thought they were on charter tommorow.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:52 pm
mtnviewfisher


Posts: 36

It Is, someone GP knows has it chartered and we're guests of that person... actually GP is a guest of that person and I'm just tagging along.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:12 pm
phishinpat


Posts: 293

So...how did you guys do?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:33 pm
mtnviewfisher


Posts: 36

Overall the trip was a very good one. I believe everyone ended up with limits of rockfish, for the most part all pretty nice sized.

As a matter of fact, I was getting close to limiting out pretty early in the morning so I slowed down my fishing a bit.

Once most people limited out we cruised around to a couple of different places fishing for halibut and rockfish.

I ended up catching a ~13lbs. halibut. When we got it on deck, Heather (the deckhand) was trying to get him off the hook but because of his flopping around she ended up getting the teaser fly stuck in her pant leg. She understandably looked a bit nervous about that so I immediately cut the main line and also cut the teaser hook...good thing she was able to avoid injury.

A short while later the other boat captain, Randy, who was fishing caught a slightly bigger halibut. He would have won the pot but because he wasn't a "paying customer" he wasn't able to participate. In the end it was between my halibut and another guys lingcod. My halibut won, but not by much. I got the prize and a tropy. I don't think they always do the trophy thing, this was some sort of special trip, but it really made catching my first halibut a memorable experience.

How did you do Ark?
What about you Pat, any luck?
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:19 pm
ark


Posts: 110

Very good Angel. Congrats on the prize and jackpot.
I went on the tigerfish and the boat was jampacked with 30 anglers. The captain decided to take the boat out to the Farallones which was nice of him since the trip was a $50 one.
I did well with the rockfish. Caught Copper, Vermillion, China among others. Most people were using the shrimp flies but I was using whole herring and was bouncing it on the bottom. We got to a spot where it was Lingcod mania. Everyone was catching them and soon we got our share. I caught 5 but 4 were short. The Captain took us on the Ling spot one more time before heading back and it was Ling frenzy all over again. The guy next to me caught 5 legals and a huge cabbie there. Though the real spotlight of the trip was a humonguous Octopus that one of the deckhands caught. I mean it was huge and its arms were about 6 ft long. It was gaffed and the poor thing tried to escape off the deck but was shoved into a large Igloo chest.
So it was limits of Rockfish for me and there were 30 legal Lingcod landed on the boat.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 am
grammar police


Posts: 441

The real question is... DID YOU CHUM THE WATER ARK? Or did you keep your breakfast?

Maybe now RedFish can try a boat trip if your new medication works!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:43 am
ark


Posts: 110

grammar police wrote:
The real question is... DID YOU CHUM THE WATER ARK? Or did you keep your breakfast?

Maybe now RedFish can try a boat trip if your new medication works!


heheh.The medication actually worked pretty well. Didnt feel sick at all when fishing. Woozy yah but not even close to nausea.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:52 am
mel


Posts: 2349

Sounds like you guys had a good time and congrats MVF. Thanks for keeping us posted on the seasick thing too Ark. It's really messed up (pun intended) when you go out on a boat looking forward to a great fishing trip only to spend your day over the rail.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:35 pm
phishinpat


Posts: 293

Right on MVF on your firt hali.
Glad you guys got your limit.

I didn't do as good as you guys though, just a few lil ones.

Hey Ark, what rig did you have the whole herring on?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 pm
ark


Posts: 110

I was using a sliding sinker setup with an 8 oz sinker. The leader was about 3 ft long and was double hooked Salty Nick style. I stuck the top hook near the head of the herring and bottom hook towards the end. I also aligned the herring up with the leader and tied it with magic thread so that it would be vertical going down.
Those Mutu circle hooks work wonders without getting snagged on the bottom and they worked very well indeed.

BTW, I also removed the treble hooks from the diamond bars and replaced them with circle hooks. Add some baby octopus tentacles to the hooks as trailers and you have a deadly combination there as well.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 am
phishinpat


Posts: 293

ark wrote:
I was using a sliding sinker setup with an 8 oz sinker. The leader was about 3 ft long and was double hooked Salty Nick style. I stuck the top hook near the head of the herring and bottom hook towards the end. I also aligned the herring up with the leader and tied it with magic thread so that it would be vertical going down.
Those Mutu circle hooks work wonders without getting snagged on the bottom and they worked very well indeed.

BTW, I also removed the treble hooks from the diamond bars and replaced them with circle hooks. Add some baby octopus tentacles to the hooks as trailers and you have a deadly combination there as well.


Pretty much the same way I rig when fishing for lings. I like to bounce the sinker on the bottom. You seen how i fish for rockies/lings.

How did you like the two cirlce hooks compared to a traditional trap rig?

I've just recently started replacing my metal jigs with barbless octopus hooks so we can target rockies with salmon on board.

Where did you get the baby octopus tentacles?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:20 am
ark


Posts: 110

phishinpat wrote:
ark wrote:
I was using a sliding sinker setup with an 8 oz sinker. The leader was about 3 ft long and was double hooked Salty Nick style. I stuck the top hook near the head of the herring and bottom hook towards the end. I also aligned the herring up with the leader and tied it with magic thread so that it would be vertical going down.
Those Mutu circle hooks work wonders without getting snagged on the bottom and they worked very well indeed.

BTW, I also removed the treble hooks from the diamond bars and replaced them with circle hooks. Add some baby octopus tentacles to the hooks as trailers and you have a deadly combination there as well.


Pretty much the same way I rig when fishing for lings. I like to bounce the sinker on the bottom. You seen how i fish for rockies/lings.

How did you like the two cirlce hooks compared to a traditional trap rig?

I've just recently started replacing my metal jigs with barbless octopus hooks so we can target rockies with salmon on board.

Where did you get the baby octopus tentacles?



Compared to a Trap rig, I think the doubled hook rig would be just as effective. With the circle hooks, you're very likely to just lip hook the fish since you hold your rod when bouncing the herring on the bottom. I think in a trap rig, the treble hook would be harder to remove and is used when you definitely aim to keep the fish and not release it since the treble can do some damage.
Thats a great idea Pat about using barbless hooks on bars during a potluck trip. I had never thought of that. About the baby octopus, you can get that at any asian market in the frozen foods section for about 2 bucks or so. Just thaw the octopus out and cut the tentacles off. Being harder to tear off the hook, they're pretty effective.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:20 pm
phishinpat


Posts: 293

True the trap rig is design for meat fishing and the trebles are a beotch to remove.

Your double circle hook rig sounds like it would work really nice since lings just bite and pull anyways and so do most rockfish. I think you got a winner on your hands, Ark. And like you said less snags.

Dude, the barbless octopus hooks on the metal jigs and bars are pocket savers, you'll reduce your snags by 50% at least, if you keep them in motion.

Shoot me an email the next time you plan on heading back out and I'll see if I can roll with ya.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: