pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Returned my 8'6" Lamiglas to Sportmart. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:11 pm
mel

I was really unhappy with it. It was supposed to cast 1 and 3/4oz of weight but it felt like it was going to break on me casting 1 oz. Also, one of the guides on it cracked, and I didn't even own it long enough to really start abusing it yet. I got a store credit for about 50 bucks, (got it on sale), and I bought a...golf bag. I could've got something else fishing related but I used the credit and some cash for a freakin' new golf bag. What is this world coming to? Right now though, I'm staring at my old golf club bag thinking hmmm... it wouldn't make such a bad rod holder/carrier after all. It's got the pockets for tackle and the handy strap for quick movement...Lots of possibilities, huh?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:51 pm
pinfish

i've seen this rod at sportsmart too. the length is nice but it seemed brittle to me.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:18 am
mel

Yeah, it's the green lamiglas. Very brittle and I should've told myself not to get it when I noticed that on the rods displayed there were a lot of broken guides. I'm still looking around for an 8'6" to maybe a 10' casting rod with some backbone to cast 3/4 to 1 3/4oz lures. Might have to go get another Sealine-x.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:09 am
red fish

Mel, for the money, I think it is an excellent rod and has caught many fish for me (the previous one before I slipped and feel on it). The replacement that I got on sale for 38.99 out the door has a little crack in one of the guides I just noticed and an insert slipped out. All salmon/steelhead rods are fragile Mel (except for maybe an Ugly-Stik Intercoastal). I'm sure a G-loomis is going break if you fall on that as well. But for high intial cost, they will replace it for "free." Bob has one of these bottom of the line Lami's along with a GL-2 Loomis. That Penn Sabre steelhead rod was probably a deal I shouldn't have passed up when they were like 50% off at Big 5. Ed got one and so did Monte. I tell you, I don't much care for the new Fenwicks because they will snap in too if you handle them with a delicate touch. The Daiwa Heartland is a decent steelhead rod and I have a spinning one. Also, some of the Quantam or Shimano Clarus are decent lower priced salmon/steelhead rods. A Daiwa Sealine is really not a light-lure casting rod. That is more like a Miki-jig 2 oz Crocodile throwing rod. You might be happier with a heavier Ugly-Stik Intercoastal. Heck, the kids (Phong John) liked those rods until they had to have G-Loomis Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:35 am
mel

red fish wrote:
A Daiwa Sealine is really not a light-lure casting rod. That is more like a Miki-jig 2 oz Crocodile throwing rod. You might be happier with a heavier Ugly-Stik Intercoastal. Heck, the kids (Phong John) liked those rods until they had to have G-Loomis Wink

I'm not really looking for a light lure casting rod as I already have a Quantum combo I use for that, which I'm very happy with. (Until it starts to wilt in my hands). The Sealine-x is more suited for me I guess. I can't afford a G-Loomis right now. Phong and John can afford it now. They're working and they aren't married. ; )
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:21 pm
red fish

That's cool Mel. I just find that I can get more casting distance out of an 8'6" rod than a 6'6" rod. Actually, Phong is always selling his rods when he needs money and then replacing them with new ones. Bob thought thought the rod did not have enough backbone, but it is a light rod, not for throwing 4-6 ounces of weight. I use it effectively with a 4 ounce drift-ball but that's it. Bob must like it enough for the price as he dropped one in the water and went out and bought another. But, everything is person preference AND price! Bob actually loves a $16 Tica casting rod about 7 feet that he favored over the bottom of the line Lami before he purchased his Loomis. Happy fishing Mel!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:33 pm
jph

Mel,

which one did you get ?
i recently got a Lamiglas G 1313-T at sportmart, and i'm quite happy with it. i've been throwing 1, 2 and even 3oz with it.

J.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:29 pm
mel

jph wrote:
Mel,

which one did you get ?
i recently got a Lamiglas G 1313-T at sportmart, and i'm quite happy with it. i've been throwing 1, 2 and even 3oz with it.

J.

I don't remember the model but it was the skinny green one. I know for sure it won't cast 3 ozs. 2 is really pushing it too.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:53 pm
jph

mel wrote:
jph wrote:
Mel,

which one did you get ?

J.

I don't remember the model but it was the skinny green one. I know for sure it won't cast 3 ozs. 2 is really pushing it too.

must be a different one then. mine's graphite colored. i remember holding a few different ones there, including a skinny green colored one Wink

you almost scared me there for a minute Wink

J.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:37 pm
kin

mel, you shouldn't waste your money on those green ones, if you are going to get a lami, make sure you get one that is at least a g1000 series or a norwest. all of my friends that own lami all agree that the green ones are not worthy of the lamiglas name. better off buying a shimano scimitar. 1/2 the price, a little heavier, but a bit more backbone.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:37 am
mel

Lesson learned. From now on, I'll be a little more careful. One thing though, Sportmart didn't give me any problems whatsoever returning it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:31 am
stripesidechaser

Just one thing to say on this topic... in the words of the BP kids: "GGGGGGGLoomis!" Wink
I really do love that hotshot rod for my 975CS... never had anything so strong, stiff and sensitive all at the same time.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: