pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Lessons Learned from California's MLPA [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm
Ken Jones

Date: February 17, 2010 7:11:06 AM PST
To:
Subject: Re: Fish and Game Commission Meeting Agenda for March 3, 2010 in Ontario

Diane - could you forward this message on to your list-serve? Thanks!

A fascinating part of this meeting was overlooked: the Public Review Draft: Lessons Learned from California's Marine Life Management Act (Publc Comment Period ended 1/31/2010). This document takes a hard, frankly worded look at the problems and issues associated with the MLMA, and makes for enlightening reading.

Sample sentences from the document:

"Clear, transparent discourse about the progress, and the challenges, of managing living marine resources is the best strategy with which to mobilize public support."

"Successful co-management of fisheries requires a high degree of trust and respect between fishers and managers. At present the necessary trust and respect appears to be lacking in most fisheries."

"Clarify the Ecosystem Based Management model and how it relates to Essential Fishery Information, habitat protection/restoration, and fishery management."

"DFG should convene an advisory committee of social scientists, including economists and social anthropologists, to develop a strategy and a plan for defining essential socioeconomic information and how it can be used in management of fisheries."

I'm attaching the document to this email. It can also be downloaded from a link on this website: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: