pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Fishermen Rally in Monterey [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm
dsch2251

I found a flyer on my car yesterday about a fishermen rally in monterey this saturday from noon to three. It seems to be sponsored by People United for American Commercial Fisheries. www.puacf.com Also cited is www.unitedwefish.com. It looks to me like its a commercial fishing lobbying group. I was just wondering if anyone has any info on this rally? There was a small article in the Monterey Weekly newspaper last week about the Monterey harbor master wanting to get the commercial halibut fishery open again in Monterey Bay. Hmmmm.. dont think I'd back that one...
Anyone have more info?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm
Ken Jones

Good questions but I'm not aware of the protest or its reasons.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm
Sin_Coast

Hmmm, that's weird. I haven't heard anything about an upcoming rally. And they're about 4 years too late.

I'll have to go find a copy of the Weekly to read the article/piece by the harbor master [who happens to be a great guy]. Kinda surprised I didn't hear about it already because my wife works for the weekly. Lots of people fish commercially for halibut in Mbay w/hook+line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:06 pm
dsch2251

I will try to find which issue it was in so I can refrence it correctly. Also, I have no idea if it is related to this rally in any way.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 pm
dsch2251

Hey Sin,
This is the article that I saw. Like I said, I have no reason at to think that the two things are related, I just connected them because I fish...
BTW, we should fish down here sometime...

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/archives/2010/2010-Feb-04/monterey-harbormaster-pushes-to-reopen-monterey-bays-halibut-fishery/1/@@index
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm
dsch2251

Well, now that I read the article again, and looked at the websites that support the rally, Royal Seafoods is a sponsor of the rally so.....
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 am
Sin_Coast

Thanks for the link to that article man. That was interesting. And like I said, surprised I hadn't already read it. Unfortunately, the girl who wrote it doesn't have all of the facts [even though she's an excellent writer and pretty dang hot]. These guys are crazy if they think the state will allow the bottom-trawl fishery to reopen in the Monterey Bay Nat'l Marine Sanctuary lol. They can fish commercially for halibut in Mbay, they just have to do use hook & line methods. Maybe they're just too lazy/unskilled to target them with a rod & reel. And to say Santa Barbara is the nearest commercial halibut fishery is way off-base. Maybe it's the closest trawl fishery, but there are hundreds of commercial halibut fishermen in SF Bay and they work HARD for their money/fish and are very skilled w/the rod & reel.

Yeah, we should definitely get together soon and go fishing. Maybe next wknd? Or maybe even a lunch session @ the jetty next week.

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: