pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> MLPA - Project in progress [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm
thefrood

It really bugged me that the MLPA maps are so obtuse and user-unfriendly to use... so I got on google maps and started working on a little project which has turned out to be... well... very time consuming. Finished the Central Coast but frankly I'm kind of pooped now. If anyone finds it useful and would like to see more regions put up on the map then let me know and I'll motivate myself to finish. Otherwise, think I'll just save myself the time end effort.. Smile

Brief rundown on the legend of it... red = don't bother fishing here. Blue = finfish or other recreational okay to do here... click the area to see the actual MLPA text.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116499658933837439244.00047ecf3b6a0bbd648b2&ll=35.862344,-121.486816&spn=4.736079,10.601807&t=h&z=7

Please look and give feedback.

Thanks

Scott

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?

Last edited by thefrood on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm
iamfisherman

where they at Scott
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 am
CRASS

Very cool! ive been wanting to do something like it, but have yet to really plug at it.
Very nice, thanks!
id love to see the North Central coast, next, if/when you feel up to another section.

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 am
fishlady

Hey thefrood,
"Great work!! You deserve to be 'pooped'!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:34 am
thefrood

I'll keep working on it then. Please don't use this for kayak/boat angling though... I only included the MLPA areas that could impact a shore-fisherman...

Hope ya'll find it useful.

Scott

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:07 am
kelpangler

Nice job, it's too bad there isn't a Marine Map for the Central coast like they've created for the South and North (and I'm sure the Bay will have one when it gets started there).

Just a note... is there a reason for using the pins at the corners of each reserve area?

Sorta related, here's a map of California piers I created awhile ago based on Ken's book and other sources. It's unfinished and probably not 100% accurate. http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=33.979809,-118.124313&spn=0.423626,0.891953&z=11 Love playing around with Google Maps!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am
thefrood

The pins are there because I didn't think of removing them once I'd mapped the lat and long coordinates of the area... good point though, they can probabally be removed and still not detract from the map... maybe just one pin per MLPA to bring attention to it or something...

Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:21 pm
lucy

Good job on that-- very handy and useful.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm
Ken Jones

I'm wondering if your maps and Eugene's could somehow be incorporated onto the UPSAC website. We're looking at different ways to help shore/pier anglers and I think soon we'll have some interesting information/graphics showing up on the upsac.org site.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm
thefrood

It's easy enough to copy the link and post it into somewhere on the website... you can even post an interactive map on the website instead of just a link. Not sure how but the tools are there if you are looking at it... and you can "save this map" if you want to as well (you may need a google account for this).

Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm
CRASS

yeah id say itd be a little easirt to browse and a little more pleasing to the eye sans pins.. you could always mark em with the fish head and hook image.. make em color matched and the like.. ya know, just to keep it with the theme Razz

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 pm
thefrood

Map Update. Cleaned up a little and now includes the MLPA areas that will effect shore based anglers for the following:

North Central Coast
Central Coast

Use the link below:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116499658933837439244.00047ecf3b6a0bbd648b2&ll=37.500874,-122.511463&spn=0.072451,0.165653&z=13

Suggestions for next? Northern or Southern?

Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:36 pm
foodandfun

Hi thefrood: Thank you so much! This is one of the nicest treasures I found during the past three days indulgence in PFIC. Good job and thanks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:41 pm
thefrood

Bumping this topic...

There have been a lot of new members recently so just wanted to bump this topic (yeah I know dredging up ancient posts. Sorry.)

Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: