pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Sea Sickness on a boat? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:38 pm
ark

I get seasick on a boat very easily. I've pretty much tried all kinds of medicine such as Dramamine, Bonine, Marezine, pressure bands, ginger remedies even the prescribed Transderm Scop patch didn't work for me.
I came across Scopace online and found out that its actually the same medicine as the patch except that its in tablet form. I decided to give it a try since the dosage is 4x the patch since this is taken orally. I called my doctor and he prescribed it for me. The lady at the pharmacy had never heard of it and I had to order it and got it within a days wait.
To make a long story short, it worked. I was still dizzy but I certainly was not nauseous on my boat trip last weekend. Did well and caught 2 lings and my limit of rockfish using a diamond bar with a very small hook with an octopus tentacle trailer.

Hope this helps someone out here. I really suffered on all my trips for the longest time but I finally got the right medication to help me. While this still might not work for everybody who gets seasick but at least it just might help some people out who love fishing as I do. Check with the doc.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:29 pm
mtnviewfisher

Glad to see you found something that works for you Ark. Maybe we can set up another skif trip soon.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:44 pm
phishinpat

What!?...no more chumming...

Just playing, glad you found something that works.
Time for a farralones trip or potluck trip!?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:48 pm
ark

Thanks Angel. Well the weather was calm last weekend so I might have spoken too soon Smile
Anytime guys. Lets set up a time for some rockfishing off a boat or something.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:00 am
mel

ark wrote:
I get seasick on a boat very easily. I've pretty much tried all kinds of medicine such as Dramamine, Bonine, Marezine, pressure bands, ginger remedies even the prescribed Transderm Scop patch didn't work for me.

Ark, also what helps is a lot of sleep and a big hearty breakfast in the morning. Although I rarely get sick but have come pretty close, I find that's what works best for me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:36 am
pinfish

also helps to have alot of fresh air (don't go below deck) and look out to the horizon
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:54 pm
ark

mel wrote:
ark wrote:

Ark, also what helps is a lot of sleep and a big hearty breakfast in the morning. Although I rarely get sick but have come pretty close, I find that's what works best for me.

Heya Mel. I've tried that too. If I eat in the morning, I end up puking it all up. I've taken other medication the previous night and that doesn't seem to help me at all as well. I'm pretty susceptible to getting sick and if I venture just outside of the gate, I'm sure to feel lousy even if I don't throw up. I've been on about 15 party boat excursions (excluding Capt Ted's psychic boat trips) and I'm pretty sure I've thrown up on each one.

But I'm not complaining now, I've got my cure..even if it lasts only for the duration of the trip.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:04 pm
thecrw

good job ark,

I'll have to pass the word to OCD, another chum buddy.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:14 am
kin

i heard that you're actually supposed to take the sea sickness stuff a few days before your trip in order for your body to have enough time to adjust to it, but that's comming from me, a person who's only been on a party boat once in his life and got sick like a dog too...also, in regards to chumming, better to eat something and puke it up, than to puke nothing but stomache acid...or even worse...nothing at all to satisfy that horrible feeling...
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:58 am
ark

kin wrote:
i heard that you're actually supposed to take the sea sickness stuff a few days before your trip in order for your body to have enough time to adjust to it, but that's comming from me, a person who's only been on a party boat once in his life and got sick like a dog too...also, in regards to chumming, better to eat something and puke it up, than to puke nothing but stomache acid...or even worse...nothing at all to satisfy that horrible feeling...

It all depends on what you're taking. Scopace lasts for 8 hours while the patch lasts 3 days.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:35 am
red fish

I get way sick on anything out of the gate these days, just ask Phishinpat Smile I need to try what your talking about Ark. I could have sworn I used the no-drowsy dramamine before even taking some the night previously and it didn't work. True, many of those trips I didn't sleep the night before, and didn't eat anything substantial in the morning. One thing I am convinced of is that when you are younger, your body can withstand more. When I was 18, 21, 23 or so going on the "Huck Finn" every August to the Farallones, not once did I get sick. And, that would be after partying at a club, no sleep, heading out on the boat the same night/morning after the club, and not eating anything all day! Oh, I,m alright with salmon trolling, when you stop the boat though to drift, it's all over for me. BTW-never puked on the many times I have been on Capt. Ted's that is why his charter reigns supreme!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:41 am
ark

red fish wrote:
I get way sick on anything out of the gate these days, just ask Phishinpat Smile I need to try what your talking about Ark. I could have sworn I used the no-drowsy dramamine before even taking some the night previously and it didn't work. True, many of those trips I didn't sleep the night before, and didn't eat anything substantial in the morning. One thing I am convinced of is that when you are younger, your body can withstand more. When I was 18, 21, 23 or so going on the "Huck Finn" every August to the Farallones, not once did I get sick. And, that would be after partying at a club, no sleep, heading out on the boat the same night/morning after the club, and not eating anything all day! Oh, I,m alright with salmon trolling, when you stop the boat though to drift, it's all over for me. BTW-never puked on the many times I have been on Capt. Ted's that is why his charter reigns supreme!

Hey Red, I doubt if anyone could get seasick more easily than I do. I always come to the boat in the morning with positive furor and determination to conquer the fish and beat the senseless crap out of the jackpot competition. In the end it always turns out me being immobile with a spinning head who could care less about fishing all the while puking my stomach contents out.
Capt Ted hardly ever takes out his boat outside the gate so its not too bad. Its a different story that he usually has his fishfinder turned off and uses his psychic abilities to locate the fish which usually are never there.
One thing about the transderm patch is that it doesnt affect some people even though the medication is the same as in Scopace. If you're thick skinned as I am (quite literally), it might be that the drug in the patch won't seep through and you will not be affected. At least that might be the case for me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:13 pm
red fish

ark wrote:
red fish wrote:

Hey Red, I doubt if anyone could get seasick more easily than I do. I always come to the boat in the morning with positive furor and determination to conquer the fish and beat the senseless crap out of the jackpot competition. In the end it always turns out me being immobile with a spinning head who could care less about fishing all the while puking my stomach contents out.
Capt Ted hardly ever takes out his boat outside the gate so its not too bad. Its a different story that he usually has his fishfinder turned off and uses his psychic abilities to locate the fish which usually are never there.
One thing about the transderm patch is that it doesnt affect some people even though the medication is the same as in Scopace. If you're thick skinned as I am (quite literally), it might be that the drug in the patch won't seep through and you will not be affected. At least that might be the case for me.
Thanks
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:14 pm
phishinpat

So now that Ark has the hookup for Red, maybe a Farralones trip is in order. I wanna get into some giant vermillions and those spanish mackerals look fun to catch.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:13 pm
ark

I'm on the Tigerfish out of HMB on sat. Looks to be a great day. Last time I was on it, for 17 ppl there were 26 lingcod caught and limits of rockfish for everyone. Hope we have a repeat spectacular day.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: