pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Grandma's Rod Wrapping - The Legend - (Warning 56k Users) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:46 pm
gyozadude

1014 wrote:
thanks again g-dude.

i too have an assortment of spinners and buzz bombs for this year. unfortunately, the group i have the least of is the blue stripe that you rec for california king!

i do have to pick up some new hooks tho. i have some 4/0 barbless circles tho, so i might try those as well.

i have yet to spool my c5, because i am flopping between mono and braid. you being a strong proponent of braid, as well as seeing gp casting a mile out at the steps... made me second guess my original choice of 15# mono.

anyways, the whole point of this is i am having mixed feelings about putting the buzzbomb straight on my mainline due to fear of losing both fish and lure due to the fraying that may occur from the buzzbomb. have you experienced this. braid, not being very abrassion resistant, i have encountered some bad experience from carolina rigging in rocky conditions. just would like to know if you recommend the mono leader or should i be ok with straight to mainline.

thanks g-dude. one last question: what do you recommend as a keeping size for king salmon caught in the delta? i know you say release the bigger size, but what is big to you? for example my keeper striper size= 19-24"... everything else released. what would be for salmon?

If I cast 30 lb braid or higher, I will thread the buzzbomb directly. But for thinner braid, I use a 5 ft section of 20 lb fluourocarbon leader attached to a small size 1 barrel or bearing swivel (small). The braid attaches to swivel, and I attach the swivel to the leader material. As the leader wears, I clip the last 6 inches and retie. After two times, the leader is too short and I tie a new long leader. Note that you may want to put a soft bobber stop or bead with rubber band on the line ahead of the swivel. This prevents you from cranking too hard and too high, and having the swivel chip the insert on your tip top.

As for keeping salmon caught in the Delta, I don't know the guidelines. But since they are just migrating, I would suppose they are okay to eat, but my preference is to eat the smaller spawners and release the big ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:55 pm
climberb9

for those of you that don't know what a buzz-bomb is, I believe that these are the ones g-dude is referring to

and you can purchase them online at http://www.tyeetackle.com/buzzbomb.htm

I'm jealous, now I wanna go up to brittish columbia
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:13 pm
stripers_sturgy

grandma got skillz nice work
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 am
grammar police

One Rod left! (6'6" Chevron Pattern)

Once gone, I plan to send a check to the UPSAC as stated in the first post. To date I have about $60 of funds generated from the rods. No I didn't sell 3 rods for $600! I simply have decided to donate more than 10% Razz

In the near future, and at the request of some local fishermen, I plan to see if I can get some rods with spinning fishermen in mind. To include any misc. rods she has for me.

I wouldn't mind a spinning rod from grandma...
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: