pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Thoughts On Categories For This New Baord [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:58 am
2d

Not sure if I'm overstepping my bounds here, but what about the main board, an off topic board and a garage sale board. reason to separate garage sale from ot is to generate a little revenue for the site. maybe a buck a sale or a small percentage? all of these changes have to be paid for someway, and, I don't think claiming the board as a promotional tool for the book is sufficient. flame away if necessary.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:07 pm
jelorian

Here is my suggestion. Very similar to 2d's.

Main Board
Off Topic Board
Classifieds Board

Nice and simple like the original site.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm
2d

Forgot to add
this is, afterall, a pierfishing site. the purpose of the site should be in line with the main focus of the boards. as such, a pier/shore board should be the star,and not just a player in the game. anything else should be considered off topic, with classifieds offered separately for reasons I already went into.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:07 pm
tacedeous

i think what songslinger posted originaly is a great layout, i know im new around here, and am not trying to intrude, rather particapate, i see the new pierfishing.com being one board with with the main topics mentioned above, the only thing i could think to add, would be a sub-catagory for the reports for nor-cal and so-cal...just another idea....great to see the progress, and thanks to those behind the scene making this work
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:46 am
johnthefisherman69

how about a forum about smurfs who fish?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:34 am
mel

Does Red deserve his own forum?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:03 pm
notsosmart

- Cooking recipes. Yum...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:26 am

2d wrote:
Not sure if I'm overstepping my bounds here, but what about the main board, an off topic board and a garage sale board. reason to separate garage sale from ot is to generate a little revenue for the site. maybe a buck a sale or a small percentage? all of these changes have to be paid for someway, and, I don't think claiming the board as a promotional tool for the book is sufficient. flame away if necessary.

i don't know matt. if PFIC were to take any portion of the revenue, wouldn't they be held also liable for bad sales? i do agree tho, that the way it is set up now (Pierfishing/shorecasting board and ot board) plus a classifieds section is a good thought.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:42 am
songslinger

Oh well, thought I had some good ideas. The point of a mere two-tier board--pier and shore fishing on one side and EVERYTHING ELSE on the other--eludes me. This will only exacerbate the problem of spurious and fatuous posts and further depart from the spirit of the message board. Sigh...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 am
tacedeous

yea i thought the point of all the hard work, was to better this board (not thats its bad in anyway!)easily searchable posts and tutorials will cut down dramaticly on repetitive posts, and allow a easy format to build upon and further ideas and techniques...time will tell,
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:35 pm
unclesteve

When I first started posting on the board, the jargon used sometimes confused me. I would suggest a section that defines some of the fishing related words used. Imagine not knowing anything about the board and you see a couple of us talking about fishing for gangstas...!

just a thought, back to work
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:15 pm
bungle

I liked the idea that 'slinger and others mentioned, of having multiple boards covering specific aspects.
You could easily log on, and narrow down the field when looking for, or avoiding a specific topic. It would also be a big help to include a section for people new to the board, or even just fishing. If you're feeling helpful, you could go add to the board; and if not, you could skip over it and not waste your time just typing "use the search feature".
But, regardless of how the final version turns out, I'll still be here. Just my .02...
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:23 am
pescare

songslinger wrote:
Oh well, thought I had some good ideas. The point of a mere two-tier board--pier and shore fishing on one side and EVERYTHING ELSE on the other--eludes me. This will only exacerbate the problem of spurious and fatuous posts and further depart from the spirit of the message board. Sigh...

I think most agree that your ideas are good. Ken and Rich already had a plan for the rollout though, so I don't think the fact that they will begin with two boards should be taken as a slight. I think either way would work, and both would certainly be improvements. Nobody will be entirely pleased, but given a fair evaluation, I think most will be satisfied.

The way I see it fleshing out is that we have the P&S board for everything that the original PFIC was and should now be. I think that many of the things listed in this thread as 'Off-Topic' really aren't, given the history of PFIC and its development over the years. Rod repair, activism and eel skinning really belong there, I think, while the classifieds, potluck trips and the like will go the the catch basin (I was going to use 'dumping ground' but I'm trying not to show my real feelings on this) that will be the Off-Topic forum. I don't think anyone has a real problem with discussions about fishing in Hawaii or links to catfish noodling articles, but they really need a place other than P&S to allow its focus to stay cleaner. The number one complaint I hear as a moderator is the amount of fatuousness there now that dilutes the real value of the place. With a place available for that (and it will show up on 'Off-Topic' because moderators will have the ability to move posts, rather than just delete them) I see P&S being a much cleaner place than PFIC is now, with its biggest problem eliminated.

Aside from what will go where, we have a big win with this change since it allows preview, edit, delete and SPELL CHECK. Also, the search function is much-improved and those that care to use it will benefit greatly.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: