Location: Pasadena, CA
|Hey SoCal guys,
Our next pierfishing derby is Nov. 21st at Venice Pier from 9AM to 1PM to benefit UPSAC's outreach and conservation efforts. Not only will you be helping a worthy organization, it'll be a chance to meet your fellow pier rats and to engage in some friendly competition. There's no food for the event so you'll have to bring your own lunch, but we'll have a raffle for some nice prizes. In addition, we'll be handing out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies to the winners. So please reply and let us know if you'll make it!
Place: Venice Pier
Date/Time: Saturday, Nov. 21, 9AM to 1PM
Entry Fee: $10 (includes bait, while supplies last, and 1 raffle ticket)
Raffle Prizes: These guys believe in what UPSAC's all about and we appreciate their support.
- Subscriptions to Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine
- voucher for 2 on a half-day or twilight boat out of Marina del Rey Sportfishing
- reel/rod combos from Wylie's Bait Shop
- lure/jig packs from Sunrize Tackle/Big Hammer
- ghost shrimp vouchers and $10 gift certificate from Paul's Bait and Tackle
- copy of PFIC from Pier Fishing in California/Ken Jones
- and more...
Our thanks to Paul's Bait and Tackle for providing bait for the derby, NOAA for providing goody bags (while supplies last), and AT&T Interactive for their financial support.
- Each paid participant will receive a score card.
- The fishing area is limited to the pier only.
- Two rods are allowed with (2) hooks max. on each rod.
- Any bait or lure is allowed.
- Upon catching a fish the judge will be summoned to mark the participantís card. The card will be marked by the judge according to the chart below.
- All DFG regulations will be followed.
- If the fish meets DFG regulations and the angler wishes to keep it, it will be marked to ensure the fish won't be counted again.
Here is a partial list of species and points. Points for species not listed below will be determined by the judges.
Perch, Smelt, Blacksmith, Sardine, Senorita 1 (max 6 pts per species) | Mackerel, Rock Wrasse, Rockfish, Kelpfish, Halfmoon, Sargo 2 (max 6 pts per species) | Bass (under 12") 5 | Bass (12" or more) 10 | Bonito 10 (max 20 pts) | Ocean Whitefish 10 | Opaleye (under 12") 5 | Opaleye (12" or more) 10 | Scorpionfish (under 10") 5 | Scorpionfish (10" or more) 10 | Sheephead (under 12") 5 | Sheephead (12" or more) 10 | Cabezon (under 15") 10 | Cabezon (15" or more) 20 | Halibut (under 22") 10 | Halibut (22" or more) 20 | Leopard Shark (under 36") 10 | Leopard Shark (36" or more) 20 | White Seabass (under 30") 10 | White sea bass (30" or more) 20 | Barracuda (under 28") 15 | Barracuda (28" or more) 20 | Yellowtail 30 | Garibaldi 0
1. kelpangler (Eugene)
2. Riplee781 (Wes) maybe
3. gordo grande (Ross)
4. richd1963 (Richard) +1
5. fishinfanatic (Ryan) +1
6. santa (Mike)
7. toejamb (Tim)
8. fishmandude (Smith)
Last edited by kelpangler on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:32 pm; edited 9 times in total