pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> lafayette reservoir [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:55 am
east bay fisher

2 days ago my friends brother drove us out and we trolled for trout for a while and got nothing. So we drifted along the tules and my friends brother casted a shad rap and we would cast worms at all the little 6-10 in bass that followed it. That was fun. We also caught a few nice bluegills. I saw a huge 8+ lb bass by the shore but it wouldn't take anything.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:49 am
mel

How was the algae along the shore line? I know around this time of year the algae and weeds get out of control there. Usually, as soon as it gets hot, the trout bite turns off and the fish go way deep there. It's a good time for catfishing though. I've seen some 15 pounders pulled from there a couple of years ago.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:25 am
red fish

Uh oh Mel, don't have me post pictures of my 16# cats and the 18#er I got there Smile Stop giving away all the secrets Mel Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:02 pm
big one

I fish this lake about twice a week and usually catch at least 3 trouts and 1 catfish within a 3-4 hour span. Troll with Kastmasters and you should get a few hits. Every catfish caught was on orange powerbait.

last week there was a 21 or 24 pounder caught on worms.

I caught a lightning trout on powerbait which seemed to fight much stronger than the regular rainbows there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 pm
q3fishboy

A friend and I are hoping to try fishing at lafayette reservoir in a couple weeks but are stuck in school for now. We don't really care what we catch. So, yeah, any tips, techniques, locations, or whatever other help any of you could offer would be great. Thanks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 am
big one

q3fishboy,

My favorite spot would be the south side.
If you drive past the bait shop and park at the upper parking lot by the grass, you would need to walk approx. 1/4 to 1/3 mile. From that path, if you walk to the 3rd bench, you will find a shoreline and that is where i usually fish. I only use sliding egg sinker setup and orange power bait with about 2 feet of leader. If you fish here for about an hour and it doesnt produce, then walk around the lake to the pier directly across from this spot, and that should produce due to the deeper and colder water.
Good luck.

~big one
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:41 pm
mel

For the big cats, try a sliding rig baited with a chunk of Spam.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:47 pm
mel

big one wrote:
q3fishboy,

My favorite spot would be the south side.
If you drive past the bait shop and park at the upper parking lot by the grass, you would need to walk approx. 1/4 to 1/3 mile. From that path, if you walk to the 3rd bench, you will find a shoreline and that is where i usually fish. I only use sliding egg sinker setup and orange power bait with about 2 feet of leader. If you fish here for about an hour and it doesnt produce, then walk around the lake to the pier directly across from this spot, and that should produce due to the deeper and colder water.
Good luck.

~big one

Is that spot that you're referring to on the right side of the lake as you drive in, or all the way to the left? There are some good trout docks on the left side too, but being that it's so warm now, the area might be a little slow for trout, but great for cats. The catfish there don't really start biting until the sun disappears over the trees. Just listen for Red "making noise". Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:40 am
q3fishboy

Mel, I am a little confused. So, the same spots that you mentioned that are good for trout are good for cats once the sun goes down? Thanks so much for the info everyone.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:57 am
big one

I have never caught a catfish on the left side, however that was where a 20+ pound cat was caught last week. I use to fish for trout on the first two docks on the left, and manage to catch at least a couple within a 3 hour span. The spot that I was referring to is all the way right, which is the south side. I have had more consistent bites there.
Myabe i'll see you guys out there sometime. I usually bring a little german sheperd with me...trying to train him to jump in the lake and retrieve some fish.

~big one
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:17 pm
mel

q3fishboy wrote:
Mel, I am a little confused. So, the same spots that you mentioned that are good for trout are good for cats once the sun goes down? Thanks so much for the info everyone.

Yes, good for cats. BIG cats too!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:50 pm
big one

Hi all,

I fished Lafayette yesterday with a couple of buddies from 5-8:30 in the area i mentioned above. We used only orange powerbait, and caught no trouts, however we managed 3 catfish.
We also missed about 3 hits while trying to keep my dog from jumping in the water and rolling in the poison oak. Two catfish were about 2-3 pound range, and one was a fatty at 26 inches long. I'm guessing it is approximately 10+ pounds. I asked for a camera from Matt, the dude from the office, but was told everything was locked since it closed. So i ended up taking pics of it from home, and since i live around the corner, i was able to release him. We wont go into detail as to how it got back in the lake.

since this is a reply to the same thread, i am unable to hit report. Maybe this can be changed by the moderators since we may tend to reply to old threads with reports. Or maybe i just dont know how to use this message board yet.

i'll post pics later....

~big one
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:55 pm
q3fishboy

So you caught the catfish on orange trout powerbait? I am assuming you are using a caralina type rig with an egg since and then hook? How long was your leader, and what size hook were you using. Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:07 pm
big one

q3fishboy wrote:
So you caught the catfish on orange trout powerbait? I am assuming you are using a caralina type rig with an egg since and then hook? How long was your leader, and what size hook were you using. Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions.

I believe it is the carolina rig, with the egg sinker and split shot. I use a 3/4 oz weight and 6 pound test to launch it out as far as i can. The fish dont seem to care how heavy the weight is, and i assume they cant feel it since it slides. The leader is about 3 feet long to allow the bait to float above the weeds. I usually catch more trout than catfish, but yesterday was not the case. I think all the trout are across the lake in deeper waters. We saw quite a few fish jump in the middle of the lake, between the far dock and the spot i fish at. Hope this helps. We also cleared quite a bit of the tules to fit about 6 poles comfortably.
Good Luck.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:25 am
q3fishboy

Thanks for the info. What size hooks were you using? And, did the catfish come on orange trout powerbait as well?
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: