pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Kicked up soup - to go with your seafood [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:48 pm
frozendog

Mrs. Kittyfish likes tomato based vegetable soups. Her favorite canned soup has been discontinued, so I have been looking for a replacement. She does not like to cook so she will just open a can and heat and eat. Whereas, I like to play with my food - adding this of that, making it semi-home made - like on the cooking show. I started with a can of light Italian-style vegetable (Progresso is good) and put on my thinking cap. Went to the fridge and pulled out all the vegetables we had. Chopped up onion, zuchini, red bell pepper, celery, garlic and a little jalepeno. Sauted these in a little olive oil.

Now, I looked for ingredients to make a male happy with soup - give it a little body. I sliced up some salami and found some leftover ravioli and tortilini. I threw them in the pot with 1/2 can of chicken broth (so it wouldn't be so tomatoey which I don't like).

Started smelling good, so I went to the spice rack. Added a little oregano and cilantro and finally dumped in the original can of soup. Simmer, simmer, simmer.

I topped it with lots of pepper and some shredded parmesan cheese. Came out good!
Easy - use whatever you have in the fridge and what you like.
This turns a can of cheap soup for one into a good meal for two. And since the Bay Area and the whole north coast is in perpetual winter, you could have this every day of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm
dsrtegl

jUST A LITTLE HEADS-UP BUT sPICY v8 JUICE MAKES a KiLLER SouP bASE

DSRTEGL
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:50 am
illcatchanything2

Sounds good. What my grandmother calls kitchen sink soup....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 am
muttfishr

Yea, you can hook it up! If your lucky enough to catch some midsized mackerel, you can cut the heads off and gut them, when you make soup, cut them into 1" chunks like "steaks" and at the last minute throw them in, simmer for a minute or two, and yer good to go! Side note; when I clean my catch like that, I save the heads in ziplocks for bait later...mutt.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: