pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Thoughts On Categories For This New Baord [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:51 am
songslinger

Classifieds. It's inevitable. A simple caveat emptor disclamer at the top saying PFIC cannot be held responsible for fraud should do it. Misrepresentation will ban the poster. In the meantime, the equipment freaks can trade or sell to their heart's desire and the neophytes can acquire first-time gear of high quality with excellent support from regular members. It is a win-win situation.

Rod building and do-it-yourself creativity
It's obvious who should run this category. Gyozadude could hold forth and impart his wisdom freely. There are other rod builders who could participate. And lots of us make our own artificials. So there is room for an ongoing discussion regarding homemade lures and so on.

Tutorials and FAQS. Tacedeous brought this up and it is an excellent idea. Ideally it would cut down on the rather mindless repetition of basic questions. Also, a chance for the more verbose of us (yeah, I do not claim exemption!) to opine and share style and technique.

Buddy board.
High time for this category. It really does need its special inclusion. Guys looking to meet up with others either on shore or in boats could get it together without cluttering the board up elsewhere.

Fishing reports. And ONLY fishing reports. What a concept. I'd prefer no pictures, instead referring to them in a separate category.

Miscellaneous off topic.
Well, yeah. Sort of like 99% of the board but consigned to one enclave of mindless minutiae. This will be the most popular category and those of us who do not feel like sifting through the BS will now be able to read what we wish when we wish.

Pictures.
See Fishing reports. If someone really must put up a picture of a 4" wrasse they caught at Catalina or similar, this is the place to do it. Along with the grandparents' cottage pond photos.

Activism. Those politically bent could vent here, and those who have managed to grow up in California with no politics or philosophy can avoid this like the plague. But politics do play a signal role in fishing and the outdoors, and perhaps a healthy--and CIVIL--exchange would be worthy.

Kid's corner. Finally, a place for the minors, no adults allowed except as invisible monitors. We have seen the need for this in past years as the bending over to accommodate the young ones has hindered rather than helped the PFIC message board.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:02 am
grammar police

Great input SS.
I agree with a need for all boards mentioned.

I never thought of a kids only board. I know we have a few... but do a few need there own board? Or are there more young'ins than I suspect?
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:52 am
pescare

Question for Rich or Ken:
Will we have multiple new boards in the end, or just Pier and Surf Fishing and the new Off-Topic board? Maybe I misunderstood, but I was under the impression that there would be just two - PSF for the stuff that should be posted on the original board, and OT for some other things.

If we do have multiples, I'm pretty much in agreement with SS right down the line. Not sure if I'd include the playground though, just enforce the rules reasonably. Plenty of Internet Babysitters out there already.

Happy to see no boat or freshwater boards mentioned. Whatever happens, it will still be Pier Fishing in California and I hope it's focus is not diluted to accommodate those who don't think several dozen existing sites are enough. Keep it what it is - PLEASE.

Pictures. Yeah, pictures. Nothing wrong with a nice shot of your catch or pretty scape or two, but the additonal six pictures of small bass can go OT for sure.

Did I mention that I hope boat and freswater issues continue to be excluded?

Last edited by pescare on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:01 am
jelorian

Looks good to me.

Are these in addition to the Pier and Surfing Category?

Here are my suggestions.

Change "Rod building and do-it-yourself creativity" to

Do It Yourself or How To's or something like that.

"Rod building and do-it-yourself creativity" seems too specific "Rod building" and general at the same time "do-it-yourself creativity".

Or you may want to make a sub-category called How-to's or Do it yourself and under that have Rod Building, Custom Lures and Artificials, Reel Customizing and Modification, and Misc (for custom pier carts, snares, rod holders, cooler/live bait holders, etc.

Something like this:

Do It Yourself

-Rod Building

-Custom Lures and Artificials

-Reel Modification/Customizing

-Misc

As for the Fishing Reports category, I really don't mind the pics as it adds to the overall report, IMHO. You can limit the size and dimensions of the pictures uploaded. It would be nice to NOT have to read the report and then look for the pics in another forum category.

These are just my suggestions/observations, from being a member on many internet forums as well as moderating my own (php based as well).

I'm glad this new message board is coming online. Kudos to everyone involved in getting up and running. Keep up the good work guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:42 am
songslinger

Jelorian has a better title for the do it yourself section, to be sure!

I just realized I forgot to include special niches or categories for species. Anglernet does this and it's kind of cool.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:05 am
2d

I don't like the anglernet/fishsniffer layouts because of the anadramous fish in our system. you look for stripers under freshwater and salmon under salt in fs (iirc), but you could catch them in the opposites many times.
also, I think categorizing by species is a little confining. if I go to crissy field to plug for stripers and pick up a halibut and a lingcod, where does the report go? I know, picking nits here.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:44 pm
pinfish

those are good, here's my ideas:

Gear

Tips and Tricks

Non-pier fishing

Outside California

Completely off-topic
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:59 pm
mel

One more category would be "the best excuses to use when calling in sick at work to go fishing."
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:08 pm
thecrw

Off-Topic Board

I thought the idea of an off-topic board was so that we can talk about off-topic fishing related stuff.

Alot of us who boat/kayak, would like to share our info w/ our pier fishing brethren. This information may also be useful to track fish migration.

Many who pier/surf fish, also boat fish. IMHO, this is a pier/surf site 1st, so would likely remain so. On anglernet, they have a kayak/float section that gets minimal traffic as that site is primarily a small boat site. Same thing w/ NorCalKayakAnglers.com, though primarily a kayak site, we do allow other reports to filter in as it somehow pertains to our fishing or at the very least is entertaining reading.
I say, let this board evolve. If Ken doesn't like it, sell it or give it to someone who'll keep it up.

Though I love the PFIC board, I believe it or have found out it is somewhat elitist much like fly fishing has a reputation to be. Pier/Surf fishing is the most basic fishing there is. Some, like myself, have focused on a different type of fishing, but still have friends on this board who we'd like to share our stories with. Hence the purpose of this board IMHO.

Can't we have the best of both worlds?

~Elric
aka TheCrw
aka Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:20 am
pescare

Crw,
Rather than another head-banging session, let me ask that you look at this from different angles. I do understand your points, but would counter with the comment that I don't think you understand how valuable this resource is in its current guise. Not everyone appreciates the Starbucks/WalMart mentality and many are very thankful that this site remains a refuge. We all got by just fine before the opportunity to purchase underwear, bicycles, guppies, toothpaste and tires at one check-out counter presented itself. Those of us that still buy their bicycles at a bicycle store continue to get by just fine.

I've got to say that I'm sure that part of my problem with this is probably my own fault. I can't for the life of me understand why so many think that changing everything to fit their personal tastes is acceptable, and if that's my weakness, I apologize. Call me crusty, but my feeling is that if a place is good enough to keep you coming back but just not exactly perfect, that should be good enough. If my corner deli has sandwiches to die for, but serves Sprite instead of 7-Up, I'll drink Sprite and be happy to have a great sandwich. Maybe I'd buy the sandwich at the deli and pick up my favorite soda at the 7-11 around the corner. Viable option, and one that everyone here has. Soak up all the pier and shore stuff here, be thankful for the opportunity, and with one click of your mouse you can move to more sites than you can count that will offer you the "Everything for Everyone" menu you apparently must have. To add a San Francisco angle, why pick up a package of Musso's foccaccia in a supermarket when Liguria and Royal Bakeries are available?

How many non-kayak reports actually make their way to NorCalKayakAnglers.com? It's a kayak site, people are happy with that and they leave it alone. If there were a significant number of charter and fly fishing reports all of a sudden, there'd be complaints, right? I think I've used this before, but if you want a hamburger, don't go to Taco Bell and complain that they aren't on the menu.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:56 am
rock hopper

I see both points.

On one hand, I DO kayak fish (both SW and FW) and even go out on my buddy's boat sometimes. I'd like to be able to share my experiences here, because PFIC is my family. Sure, I post on Fishsniffer and Norcalkayakanglers, but I'd rather share my experiences here with my family...not at other sites where I don't know anybody, really. So, with that in mind I'd like to see the main board stay the way it is and have only one "off topic" board.

On the other hand - the original board is fine the way it is, and I would hate to see it changed just for the few of us who want to share our non-shore fishing experiences.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:18 am
pescare

Dustin,
That is the way it will be. I heard back from Rich and he confirmed that there will be just two boards - Pier and Surf, and Off-Topic. Possibly open to change in the future, but it will start this way.

That's not really applicable to my message though, and I may not have been clear. If there were two forums, or two hundred, this SITE is still PFIC. As stated in Ken's own words in his opening statement on the home page, "This fishing website is dedicated to the thousands of regulars (a.k.a. pier rats) who fish California's piers on a weekly or even daily basis." Why is this such a problem to so many? Are the boat sites constantly putting up with pier postings and members complaining about their content?

Again, I totally understand the family thing, but I don't think it's a strong enough argument for visitors to change the focus here. Standing firm on the identity thing. The book is about pier fishing and my hope is that the site with the same name remains about pier fishing.

I wouldn't have a problem with the occasional trip report from Montana or a pic of your next monster ling if it comes from your yak, and that's just what OT means. A flat-out lifting of the rule would be a different story in my opinion.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 am
climberb9

I do a lot of fishing besides pier and shore. I recently got a boat for inshore. I am an avid stealhead angler. I do a lot of trout fishing. I fish for bass through out every summer. I take trips northward for salmon and stealhead in rivers. I love striped bass in reseviors. Hell, you can even catch me trying to catch that 1 pound blue gill that refuses to be caught. I also am a tackle ho to the third degree (though my wallet limits me greatly). All the proposed new categorys would be nice...

BUT I believe that there should only be ONE off topic board so that we can share a few prize catches, perhaps a few views on current events, maybe some one has a kayak for sale. Maybe ken's grandaughter caught a 9 pound large mouth on 4 pound test while going for little pan fish, but that should be all.

Part of what I like about pierfishing.com, besides that is kinda like family like dustin said- is that it does have a specific focus. And it has its own special thing. Every message board in history has those tons of categorys- but we don't. I think the fact that we don't help makes it more of a community because we doen't have people who only check the kayak board, or the tackel board, or what ever.

Just my two cents worth, if it even made sense.

-Hara
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:27 am
salty nick

I like it this way, having the "off-topic" board for everything that doesn't fit the Main board, and keeping the Main board the way it is. I don't mind seeing boat/kayak reports here, as they might provide valuable feedback for nearby shoreline. I also don't mind freshwater reports, although they don't fit in with the website title.

If you are going to have many categories, then SS's suggestions make sense, but I kind of like it this way - Main board + Off-Topic. I'm lazy and don't want to have to search in five different categories for reports and such. That being said, I also don't mind keeping it in its original format. Whatever the Skipper decides is all right by me.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:27 am
dompfa ben

I maintain the idea that two boards would be sufficient--

One, for pier/surf fishing.

The second for... well, that's the rub, isn't it? Some people want to post kayak and boat reports, others want to sell stuff, still others like sharing environmental issues, factoids about the natural world, or dissertations on how tides affect murder rates in landlocked states.

Most of these things make for interesting reading, and in its most simple format, all of these things belong on a second "OFF TOPIC" board. This should adequately preserve the integrity and purpose of the Pier/Surf fishing board, for which the site was created. In fact, I think it will further distill the first board, in that reports about giant Asian catfish, East Coast sharks, and Hawaiian ulua (all about which I thoroughly enjoyed reading) will move to the second off-topic board.

Of course, someone selling a couch or Spinner-Rims for an Escalade has no purpose on either board, and I imagine a whole new list of rules will be needed for the second board, to determine how far "off topic" a poster is allowed to go...before landing on another website altogether.

If the powers-that-be decided to create a multiplex of sub-boards delineated by specie, high tide vs. low tide, day of the week, or brand of tackle used for the catch, that's fine too, I guess. But for my pair of copper coins, I say K.I.S.S.--keep it simple sir (I don't like calling folks "stupid" unless merited Smile
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: