pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Penn 525.............A Renewed Repect [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:04 am
dsrtegl

Fished my Penn 525 at Paradise yesterday and have developed a new found respect for the reel. The dust was THICK on it when it came down off the shelf but I do not think that it will get dusty anymore. The reel is loaded with 15# test with some old spectra for backing and I was using about 1/2 the spool on my longer casts with 4 oz weights and the reel mounted on my 10' Tica salmon rod. Usually you can't cast lighter stuff on the Penn reels without backlash issues but after some fiddling I was able to handle 1oz rattletraps without too much trouble and get some distance on the casts.

The only thing that keeps this from being a nearly perfect reel as far as I am concerned is the lack of a level-wind (I am lazy....what an I say?).

There are a lot of used ones out there so you might want to take a look.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm
snotrocket

525 has the best level wind ever made its located on your left hand and it has an extra drag feature on your right hand Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:11 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

I have found that dust works great to protect any chrome surface. Just blow the dust off and clean it up and it looks great again.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:26 pm
dsrtegl

dealt with PLENTY of dust today. Started dusting and sorting the Penn (and other)reels I have in my display case. Forget sometimes just how many I have and it was a wake up call.....5 Penn 100s, 10 variations of the Squidder, 15 of the Jigmaster....12 Abu Ambassadeur reels...........Kicked up so much dust that I turned the HEPA filter up on HIGH to keep my allergies from killing me. I will have to start culling the hear and choosing the best stock....Like my Senators.....have 2 1/0 Senators that will stay for sure.

Need to find out who cracked the sideplate and bent the ring on my ONLY truly MINT Penn 25......You ask people to look not touch but..........

Sigh
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: