pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Favorite Videos Reply to this topic
>> End of the Line; movie about overfishing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:42 pm
northern boy

Is on at the Red Vic in San Francisco this weekend (June 21-23). I can't decide whether to go before or after fishing this weekend

It's also on in LA later this week.

Anyone else going to see it?

http://endoftheline.com/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:10 pm
sfskunk

if i get a chance ill go. its only a few miles away from the museum.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:33 pm
red fish

'Where are all the fish, where have they gone; we have eaten them.'

An interesting assertion.. BTW-Phil, I am not superstitious, but, you are on your six-hundredth and sixty-sixth post....
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 am
Ken Jones

The film probably makes some very good, logical and thoughtful points. However, when I see the Hollywood riffraff trotted out and offering up support and quotes, as though they had an idea in their head, it's almost an automatic turnoff. And, that's unfortunate because some of the points in the movie are probably valid and worth entertaining. Unfortunately the "entertainment" group being used to advertise the movie will hurt its acceptance by someŚlike myself.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:07 am
JellyFish

cool i want to check it out.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:56 pm
JellyFish

it was a ok movie. honestly i wouldnt recommend it to any one. good think i went in the morning show and got 3 dollars of the regular price of 10 bucks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

JellyFish wrote:
it was a ok movie. honestly i wouldnt recommend it to any one. good think i went in the morning show and got 3 dollars of the regular price of 10 bucks.

Was it yr typical environmental movie?

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 am
JellyFish

Bat-Ray-Dave wrote:
JellyFish wrote:

Yeah it was. They just talk about how commercial fishing is killing all the fish in the sea. which is true and sad. they just interview people form colleges for about 1hr and a half. i wished they show some more of the sea rather then just interview.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:11 pm
northern boy

JellyFish wrote:
Bat-Ray-Dave wrote:
JellyFish wrote:

Yeah it was. They just talk about how commercial fishing is killing all the fish in the sea. which is true and sad. they just interview people form colleges for about 1hr and a half. i wished they show some more of the sea rather then just interview.

I'm not quite sure what you mean Dave.

The movie is pretty much as Jellyfish described, which for a movie that advertised itself as being about about over-fishing is what you'd expect. It leans a lot on the "2048" paper from a few years back, but also presented the other side to that argument. Yep, scientists feature heavily and they did not have many positive things to say about the state of the worlds fisheries. Interestingly, there was little blame attached to fishermen, most of the blame was placed upon politicians, commercials interests and consumers. It was pro-MPA, but given the statistics on fish stocks it's hard not to be in favour of the basic concept of no-fishing zones.

I would recommend it. I learned a lot. There was plenty of fishy footage, although most of it was of them being slaughtered in trawler nets.

Ken; there was no contribution from Hollywood stars, except from the narration by Ted Danson who I guess isn't much of a star these days and to be honest did a woeful job in my opinion.

I won't be eating bluefin tuna again.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 am
Ken Jones

northern boy,

I imagine my reaction was atypical. I simply have an aversion to "stars" who think their voices should be added to debates such as this. Granted everyone has the right to add his or her two cents but in my opinion it actually demeans the presentation (although I imagine it helps grab some people's attention). For me it's a personal thing based upon (a) my low regard for the lifestyles of actors/celebrities in general, (b) my low regard for today's media, and (c) my interest in many of these issues that need fair and balanced study so that good decisions can be made.

By the way, State of Fear by Michael Crighton was probably one of the best anti-global warming books ever written and I'm pretty sure his character Ted Bradley was based on Ted Danson.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 am
northern boy

Ken Jones wrote:
northern boy,
For me it's a personal thing based upon (a) my low regard for the lifestyles of actors/celebrities in general, (b) my low regard for today's media, and (c) my interest in many of these issues that need fair and balanced study so that good decisions can be made.

Couldn't agree more with those sentiments.

BTW, this movie is based upon a book of the same name by a guy called Charles Clover who is himself a recreational fisherman. It was the disappearance of Salmon from his local waters that motivated him to research and write the book.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Favorite Videos Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: