pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Rod advice please... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 pm
xmenrsix

Hey all... I'm not new 2 the board, but a new member...

I was planning on getting a new rod to fish rip baits from the shore in the bay for striped bass and halibut. I heard alot of guys using bass rods so I was thinking of maybe a Lamiglas 7' xcf 705 or 705r. Anyone have any experience with these rods? Right now i'm using a Lami 8'6 steelhead rod and it gets hard to cast when the shore is tight. I plan on tossing 5/8 - 3/4 baits and I want to cast a decent distance.

any advice would be great... thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 pm
pinfish

i have my eyes on those two fiberglass rods too. i tried the 7 footer at guns 'n fishing and it was surprisingly light. if it can set the hook hard, then i'm sold

i think with a 7 footer you won't be able to cast as far as an 8'6" rod. should be okay though.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:26 pm
xmenrsix

pinfish wrote:
i have my eyes on those two fiberglass rods too. i tried the 7 footer at guns 'n fishing and it was surprisingly light. if it can set the hook hard, then i'm sold

i think with a 7 footer you won't be able to cast as far as an 8'6" rod. should be okay though.

thanks for the input pinfish...

I'm really in the market for a new set up cuz i think i need alittle more backbone in the rod... and I might need a new reel as well... currently i'm using a citica 200E and wanted 2 upgrade to a curado... I hooked onto a leopard shark (my first fish on a lure) and I was getting close to being spooled
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm
pinfish

curado and citica have the same drag
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:30 pm
iamfisherman

i don't know about something smaller then your current setup. i love those salmon/steelhead rods. and definitly you will not be able to cast further with the 7ft rod. plus you will get even more spooled on the shorter rod.

i just purchased a curado 300dsv reel and i'm going to pair it up with a new clarus 8'6" rod. i'll let you know how that goes.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 pm
xmenrsix

pinfish wrote:
curado and citica have the same drag

ic... thx...
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 pm
xmenrsix

iamfisherman wrote:
i don't know about something smaller then your current setup. i love those salmon/steelhead rods. and definitly you will not be able to cast further with the 7ft rod. plus you will get even more spooled on the shorter rod.

i just purchased a curado 300dsv reel and i'm going to pair it up with a new clarus 8'6" rod. i'll let you know how that goes.

sweet... keep me posted
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm
iamfisherman

had a chance to test my new curado out today for a few hours. man, sweet reel even though i got skunked, so freakn windy today. has a freakn smooth ... cast, i love it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:00 pm
pinfish

iamfisherman wrote:

cool dude. i have almost the same setup. i have the 200 reel though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm
SurfFisher08

iamfisherman wrote:
had a chance to test my new curado out today for a few hours. man, sweet reel even though i got skunked, so freakn windy today. has a freakn smooth ... cast, i love it.

Yeah, I beat you today w/ that rock crab I caught on a fish trap.

8'6" Clarus? Do they even make them that long for baitcasting?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 am
iamfisherman

SurfFisher08 wrote:
iamfisherman wrote:

Yeah, I beat you today w/ that rock crab I caught on a fish trap.

8'6" Clarus? Do they even make them that long for baitcasting?

yep, its a salmon/steelhead setup though but it is a casting rod...i like long rods especially 8'6" for some odd reason.

http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4229

i'm going to pick it up today. maybe try it out this weekend with the new reel, and put the scimitar rod back on the abu reel.

and yes you beat by catching that rock crab on the fishtrap. dude i still think that was funny as hell. crab on lures. awesome....
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:13 pm
xmenrsix

iamfisherman wrote:

sweet... i ended up with a curado 200 but have yet 2 test it yet... still deciding on a rod
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: