pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> hotrodding a jigmaster [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm
billfishhead

i recently bought a bunch of reels and must have 6 or 7 jigmasters. considering a revolving spool will cast farther than a spinning reel, what all can be done to help the 500 cast?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:23 pm
snotrocket

Oil, and lots of practice that reel is not the best casting reel and the retrieve will give you a workout
because its slow but I have seen some good distance by an experienced fisher person. oh and use 15lb or 17lb MONO once you get used to it but start with 30lb its easier to pick the backlash out Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 pm
billfishhead

would magging this reel help ?
if so who knows how ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 pm
billfishhead

are there any high speed gears available ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:16 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

Are any of them a 505HS? It has ball bearings on each side and the gear ratio is 5 to 1.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 am
billfishhead

i think ill get some 505 gears and see if they work in the 500s
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:39 pm
FishermanDan

The best and maybe only thing you can do to make casting truely easier... is practice, practice and more practice. That will add distance. Also lube the bushings, and using a smaller diameter line. Using braided line will add considerable casting distance to any reel.

As far as hotrodding the 500 for better performance, you'll want to upgrade with a Power handle, stainless steel gearsleeve, and greased carbonfiber drag system. These basic upgrades along with a thorough rebuild will inhance the the performance, strength, comfort, and durability of your reel. Sure there are more things you can buy/add/do, but they really only serve as cosmetics. If you want a faster retrieve, just get the 505.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm
FishermanDan

Here's a list of of Drag Ranges on old Penn's, prepared by Alan Tani:

"penn 114h (and 115L) - 5 stack of #6-115 drags, working drag range to 20#'s, max drag range to 30#'s or more, damage to the brass gear sleeve at probably 25#'s. the 114H and 115L (6/0 and 9/0) have the same gears and drag washers.

penn 113h (and 320/330gti!) - 5 stack of #6-113h/320 drags, working drag range to 15#'s, max drag 25#'s, damage to the brass gear sleeve at probably 20#'s.

jigmaster 500 (and 309, 112h, and 113) - 3 stack of #6-309 drags, working drag range to 10#'s, max drag 15#'s, damage to the brass gear sleeve at greater than 8#'s.

squidder 140L - 3 stack of #6-60 drags, working drag range to 8#'s, max drag range 12#'s, damage to the brass gear sleeve at 8#'s.

beachmaster155 - 3 stack of #6-155 drags, working drag range to 6#'s, max drag range 8#'s, damage to the brass gear sleeve at 8#'s. "

So if you are planning to exceed 8#'s of drag, you'll want to upgrade to a stainless steel gear sleeve(i beleive its part #098-060 - and costs $20 for the stainless steel). Email Alan Tani, he can help you with anything related to reels!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:14 pm
dsrtegl

I have a LOT of Penn 500 reels.

Take them apart (ONE AT A TIME TRUST ME) and be careful not to lose the dog spring. Strip all the grease off the parts and clean thoroughly. Then re-grease using a quality lube and reassemble.

You will be fine for years.

Magging the reel is good if you use lighter lines or weights but can only be effectively done with an aluminum spool. I rarely use less than 20# on a 500 and prefer 25-30#. Hotrodding the reels is fine but I would use them as is first to see if the expense is even necessary.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:47 pm
alantani

billfishhead wrote:
are there any high speed gears available ?

unless a 25% increase in speed will make or break you, i'd pass. the penn gears will not fit. you will need newell gears and they are very expensive. stick with the 4:1 penn gears. they should be fine. alan

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm
gordo grande

Do a search on the old board. I know there is at least one thread there about magging a 500.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: