pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Anyone ever lengthen a rod on the butt end? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm
tackleholic

I know I'm asking for it with the wording of this question, but I recently picked up a rod that was wrapped with the butt end too short. Since it's a heavier rod in the 30-80 lb. range, it has a heavy duty aluminum reel seat. I need to add maybe 3 inches to the butt, already cut the cap off, the blank is over 1-1/4" diameter. I don't want to take off the finish, rewrap the guides, it aint worth the work but it's a nice blank that I could definately use with a 16 or 20 size reel. If I somehow managed to grind off the reel seat, I'd be unable to put another one further up from the bottom end since even an aftco ars3 wouldn't fit over the bottom end. If I add a gimbal, that might add 3/4 of an inch, but that's still to short. Any suggestions?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:30 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

It seems you have a stand-up rod, I have lots of those. They are made with a longer fore grip than at the bottom grip. If at all possible you should keep that rod for later use than try to modify it. For a casting rod I like to have 18" from the bottom of the rod to the middle of the reel.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:19 pm
tackleholic

I have stand up rods as well with long foregrips, but this one is just way too short. I like about a 10-12" rear grip before my reel seat, this is like 6-7 inches. I might have to fashion some kind of makeshift sleeve or gimbal from some metal tube scrap then throw a butt cap on it and seine twine the butt up to the reel seat or something and just use it with a day belt and the rail.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 am
FishermanDan

If its a casting rod, maybe you can cut out the reel seat, and attactch the reel higher up. Just give the but a quick wrap where the old reel seat was. Or use it the way it is, forget about it, or get a new rod, Wink.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:12 pm
gyozadude

For a butt that size, you can try a solid hardwood dowel that is tapered to slide in the inside diameter from the bottom. That's unless you have access to a thick wall sacrificial butt section off of another older rod that will fit inside as well and are willing to cut a section off that fits.

Basically, you need to measure and test carefully so that at least 6 inches of the dowel is tapered and inserted firmly into the butt section with no play and still long enough for your extension. To get the taper, measure with calipers approx wall thickness and the change in outside diameter over the inserted length.

Don't jam it in just yet. Do gentle press fit for now and when you think you've got the right section and taper for fit, then remove the dowel and wrap the butt section in heavy guage thread, double layer, then seal, let dry, and epoxy over to make a ferrule and let harden overnight. Use generous epoxy resin this time and spread on dowel and inside ferrule, and then slide and twist dowel into ferrule and then let harden while keeping rod vertical with butt section down.

If you're really hard core, and went to a good autobody store or hobby store and have fibreglass cloth and resin, mix a batch up and slather over the new butt section and on to the top original shaft. wrap tightly a good 4 - 5 layers of fibre glass with resin and let dry and then sand a bit.

Now your butt section should be extended and you just need to put on the right butt cap and wrap and you should have an extended handle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 pm
tackleholic

That's a pretty good idea. I l.ike the idea of using a section of a fiberglass rod that would fit inside...even better if it's a section of solid fiberglass rod like those broomstick penn senator rods. Heck, if I secure a butt section from another rod, maybe a cutoff job on the butt, I could join them up. I already have some fiberglass cloth scrap leftover from when I used to repair surfboards. It will definately be a project, I'll just have to keep my eyes open for some rod butt scraps of the proper diameter to use for the inner ferrule and the outer extension. I did something similar to a town and country surfboard that had about a foot of the nose snapped off by some airline luggage loader, used 3 wooden dowels, 2 hour epoxy to jointhe 2 end pieces, then wrapped the join with fiberglass matt and surboard resin. It wasn't pretty but I surfed that board for 2 more years before selling it. I don't think I'd want to use a wooden dowel as a joiner though, since that area would have a bit of pressure in a belt or under my armpit on the rail on a larger fish or in a harness.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:55 am
billfishhead

i dont know where to find glass rod that large but a pool cue might work. go find a broken house cue from a bar
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: