Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET????? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:30 pm
kevin531tw

i wanted to get some tackles these days
and i don't wanna spend more than 50$
cuz im not that pro yet.

few days ago, i bought a shimano TX, but i found out that it doesn't have anti-reverse system, which is kinda bad....i dont know if i should return it and get something else.

right now, i saw a few good deals, but i dont know which one is better and i dont know the difference
so i hope someone could help me here plz

basically, i am using a daiwa D-shock 2500 rod&reel combo for 15$ which is very cheap for me, and i often go to the piers for fishing cuz its free, sometimes to the lakes. And i bought the license for next year 2009 already, i will probably go to some jetties or surf fishing. plz give me some ideas!!

items:

daiwa D-wave 4000 3bi, rod&reel combo, $30
mitchell 3500, rod&reel combo, $16.99
shimano TX 4000 fd, $24.99
quantum 40f, $19.99
shimano FX 4000, $14.99

i also saw few shakespear's baitcasting reel and spinning reels that are around 30-45$, but i dont know if its good or not...

could anyone also explain the difference of the shimano lower price spinning reels..and which is the best to get with its low price
there are too many of them, so i will just list some
like:
CX, TX, FX-FB, FX-RB, AX,
slade, sidestab, syncopate, sienna
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 pm
FishermanDan

Get the one you like the most.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 am
pinfish

get any of them except the quantum
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm
tackleholic

If you get the Shimano reel, I'd try to get the one with instant anti-reverse. FB is the front drag model, rb is the rear drag model. That's about all I know...Of all those reels, I think only the TX or the CX might have instant anti-reverse (no backplay) but I can't remember. As I recall, the TX felt like a Sedona without the anti-reverse.

The Daiwa combo is decent, or at least the reel is, I don't trust the rods on any of the cheaper combo's in general.

You might want to check places like Sports Authority and Sports Chalet for sales on combos or Ebay. There are some killer deals to be had there now, lots of people looking to clear out space and needing extra cash, so it's a buyers market. If you can't find a decent deal, I have a 2 bearing Shakespeare spinning reel that is about the size of a 4000, maybe slightly larger capacity, with a spare aluminum spool, and it has instant anti-reverse feature, I can sell you for $15, new, but I'm in Sou Cal. I have a couple of those.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:18 pm
kevin531tw

tackleholic wrote:
If you get the Shimano reel, I'd try to get the one with instant anti-reverse. FB is the front drag model, rb is the rear drag model. That's about all I know...Of all those reels, I think only the TX or the CX might have instant anti-reverse (no backplay) but I can't remember. As I recall, the TX felt like a Sedona without the anti-reverse.

The Daiwa combo is decent, or at least the reel is, I don't trust the rods on any of the cheaper combo's in general.

You might want to check places like Sports Authority and Sports Chalet for sales on combos or Ebay. There are some killer deals to be had there now, lots of people looking to clear out space and needing extra cash, so it's a buyers market. If you can't find a decent deal, I have a 2 bearing Shakespeare spinning reel that is about the size of a 4000, maybe slightly larger capacity, with a spare aluminum spool, and it has instant anti-reverse feature, I can sell you for $15, new, but I'm in Sou Cal. I have a couple of those.

what is the difference between front drag and rear drag??
by the way, i went to sports chalet today,
and i saw a spinning reel that is daiwa regal 4000 XIA, 2007 model.
the price was $55 right now its $40, it has 10 ball bearing, but when i spinning it,
i dont think its more smooth than the shimano TX,
dont know why...
you think daiwa one is better??
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 pm
alantani

rear drag spinners are a nightmare to work on.

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 pm
gyozadude

Cabelas.com has a Daiwa Dwave40 combo on sale now for $24.88 plus shipping. There's a sold out combo for a 9ft rod plus Dwave50. But the Dwave40 plus 8ft 2pc rod are still available.

Personally, for starters, if you can find a Daiwa sweepfire 3500-B or 4000-B and then get a cheaper 10ft 2pc Beefstik rod, that might be the way to go. I've seen both Fisherman's Warehouse, and Coyote Bait & Tackle sell the Sweepfire-B for $15, and a beefstik for around $20. No shipping. Just sales tax.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:45 pm
tackleholic

Front Drag are the ones that you tighten the top by screwing the dial on top of the spool. Rear drag, you tighten a knob on the bottom of the reel. As Alan mentioned, the drags are harder to work on. I used to have a cheap AX rear drag, it fell in the sand and sand worked itself into it and was a by---- to get out. It's easier to change spools with rear drag because they are usually just a push button swap on top, but it's a lot easier to clean, lube, swap out the drag washers on front drag reels. As far as the Shimano's go, unless you get one of the lower end ones for like $5, I wouldn't even mess around. Spend a little more and get yourself at least a Sedona, if not a Sahara. Of the ones you mentioned, I think only the Sienna has instant anti-reverse.

The lower end Daiwas are a little better than the lower end Shimano's, imho, but again, if you spend say $20 more for the reel, you'll have a reel that will last a lot longer. Lower end breaks down a lot quicker.

If you can wait, there should be some good after Xmas sales...it's not like fishing is off the hook right now. Try to combine coupons with clearance sale red and yellow tag markdowns for excellent savings. Right now at Sports Chalet, I think through the 20th, if you spend 100 bucks on a single item, you will get an instant savings of $25, so there's 25% right there, but there's also a concurrent deal where if you sign up for their action pass program, and spend I believe $125$, you get an action pass gift certificate of $20 or $25, so you could save possibly $50 off a 125.00 purchase....something to think about. Unfortunately, they don't have much good on sale now...One thing I did notice is they have a large 5000 size Daiwa Regal for about 35.00 on sale...no biggy but this one I saw has a baitrunner feature which is new for the lower end daiwas.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:13 pm
Sin_Coast

If you want to go cheap, those Cabelas Salt Striker spinning reels are nice. (I've got 3 of em LOL)
Speaking of cabelas, they have Shimano Sedona and Sahara on sale right now. But sizes available are limited.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat21406-cat601360&id=0023112118275a&navCount=1&podId=0023112&parentId=cat601360&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat21406-cat601360&id=0023120118274a&navCount=4&podId=0023120&parentId=cat601360&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=OG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:18 pm
kevin531tw

daiwa regal Xia 4000
shimano sonora 4000

which is better??
the first ones got the 10 ball bearing
shimano ones got the 20lbs max drag

price are about the same...
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:30 am
tackleholic

One's as good as the next. The Daiwas tend to cast a little better imo, especially with braid, due to spool design. If you get the sonora, or daiwa, try to make sure the part that connects the line roller or guide to the bail is metal, not plastic, because if you fish braid later, if it gets tangled, the braid can cut a groove into the plastic which is what happened to an older model sedona 4000 I have when fishing fireline. Shimano may claim to get 20 lbs. of drag for that reel, but I highly doubt it...maybe 10 unless they've done some dramatic improvement but I doubt it. Whichever one you get, make sure it comes with a spare aluminum spool.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:19 pm
newcastle

Sin_Coast wrote:
If you want to go cheap, those Cabelas Salt Striker spinning reels are nice.

I have one and i'm about to get another one
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: