pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Time for a PFIC miss farallones trip? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:06 am
gyozadude

I'm in. Please post directions. I'll see if my bro-in-law wants in.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:37 am
salty nick

Pat, I'd like to give it a try - must say, I'm a total boat rookie though. (I went on one salmon trip outside the Gate and didn't get sick, so I'm probly okay).
Where from SF do they launch? I guess at 5am, should be able to find parking, even in SF?
You said spinning gear is okay? I have a lefty Abu 6501 w/ 15# test, a Coronado 65 w/ 25# test and a Daiwa Regal w/ 15# test - I'm guessing any of these are OK?

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:07 am
gyozadude

Note that mono has -less- drag than braid for the same pound test in the water when drifting or trolling. The reason is simple. Braid is rough and causes turbulent flow which in this geometry causes more drag. It's quite significant. 15# test works, but I tend to go heavier like 20# or 25# in case you hook a big ling. I use a 30# - 40# fc leader.

My rig will be a 6.5 - 7ft one piece casting stick with conventional. Spinning works too, but I like the levelwind for counting down the passes of the levelwind to keep track of depth. This way, if the captain tells you the depth, you can quickly get it down. A line counter reel works well in this case.

An Abu 6000 series is good enough for most applications. I actually went on one trip with an old Bantam Mag 10X and 200 yds of 15 lb braid, and caught a limit of good rockfish in short order, but lost 4 massive fish, most likely lings, that nearly spooled me. So I've decided to go heavier to haul up what I hook. Lower gear ratio is better for a lot of applications.

The tip should be able to handle 4 - 8 oz of torpedo lead and have lifting power to get the fish up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:16 pm
gyozadude

New info on Miss Farallones and Captain Ted:

new phone: 925-689-0900

Webpage Info: http://www.sfsportfishing.com/missfarallones.html

They leave out of Fisherman's Wharf according to the webpage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:18 pm
salty nick

Thanks for the info, James. Being unfamiliar with conventionals, I didn't think about counting passes of the levelwind to estimate depth. Another newbie question - on the 3-way rig, what's the common leader length? I've heard anywhere from 18" to 5'. Does it make that much difference. Thanks.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:43 pm
rock hopper

I might be able to go the week-end of the 23rd if you guys are still planning that one.

Good luck this week-end. I have plans to fish rockfish out of Bodega on my buddy's boat, or else I'd go out with you cats.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:03 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
Thanks for the info, James. Being unfamiliar with conventionals, I didn't think about counting passes of the levelwind to estimate depth. Another newbie question - on the 3-way rig, what's the common leader length? I've heard anywhere from 18" to 5'. Does it make that much difference. Thanks.

Salty.

Coventional or spinning, like James said, you want atleast 20lb line. Last year my leveldrag sliped and I got taken in the rocks, when I managed to get it half up it regained itself and took a mad dash down and rubbed my 30lb. mainline till it snapped.

Leader length depends on how close the person next to you is. AT least to me. But Scotty(deckhand) will sell you a rig that has about a three foot leader on it.

Sorry for not getting directions so soon, i just woke up and now gettign ready for work. It's on the Embarcadero, past pier 39 a few blocks you can't miss it. I believe the cross streets are jones and jefferson, but not quite certain.

So now, I have James+1, Saltynic, Kin(?)
We have quite a boat load. I got my party of 12 now, so everyone else just call cpt. ted and tell him you with pat.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:21 pm
gyozadude

Pat:

Do we need to call capt. ted now? Or are we (me+1, Salty, Kin) part of your crew and don't need to do anything?

Salty:

There's several rigs to use. For shrimp fly with strip bait (like cut squid), I take a 4.5 ft long length of 30# leader, make an end loop on one end, tie a swivel on the other end, and put a single long dropper loop about 2/3rds up from the bottom. I use a 7/0 octopus or o'shaunessy hook with a glittery hoochie and tip the hooks with strip bait for smell. A single hook works just as well as two hooks for me. Works great on lings and rockfish.

Next, if you plan to drag live or dead anchovy, just remember that they spin. You don't want too long a leader without a swivel in the middle or else you will get major line twist. Rockfish aren't wary like salmon (and this year, I bet the salmon don't care either - they're all hungry because of the shortage of bait fish and krill). Anyway, if bottom bumping, I use a 2 ft long leader from swivel to sinker. On a separate line, I use a reversed ball bearing snap swivel attached to 3 ft leader. You can use a single hook or double snell rig. Just in case there's salmon, I use a barbless 5/0 circle and hook chovie from under the jaw straight up thru the head. Then I secure the gills with an orthodontics (large size) rubber band. When the fish hits, I don't set the hook. I let it pull until I feel pressure, and the rod tip is bouncing, and then I crank. The fish practically hooks itself and usually in the jaw. Great for lings because then the hook is usually outside and not buried inside the gut where the ling's teeth are shredding the leader.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:15 pm
mtnviewfisher

gyozadude wrote:
Anyway, if bottom bumping, I use a 2 ft long leader from swivel to sinker. On a separate line, I use a reversed ball bearing snap swivel attached to 3 ft leader.

James, can you explain this one? I got a little lost trying to visualize it.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:57 pm
notsosmart

What's good for sea motion sickness ? In in case.

Thanks!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:24 pm
songslinger

Seasickness happens. Some helpful pointers:

Bring raisins along on a boat. In a pinch they can often be the difference between feeling lousy and okay.

Stay away from booze or other stuff, including tobacco. Don't mess with your sugar balance on a boat.

Don't fixate or stare in one place. Keep occupied, tie knots, don't let your mind dwell on anything aside from fishing.

H
A
V
E

F
U
N
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:37 pm
bungle

grammar police wrote:
Good luck fellers. I'll hit you with a phone call after your trip. I will be a go for next weekend though.

Tight lines and wish me a shovlenose!

Have a safe trip, and good luck GP.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:02 pm
gyozadude

mtnviewfisher wrote:
gyozadude wrote:
Anyway, if bottom bumping, I use a 2 ft long leader from swivel to sinker. On a separate line, I use a reversed ball bearing snap swivel attached to 3 ft leader.

James, can you explain this one? I got a little lost trying to visualize it.

Think of a 3 way swivel, with the line tied to the top, the sinker tied to the middle ring, and the hook tied to the bottom. Some folks tie the hook to the middle loop on the 3 way, and some use trisected 3 way swivels.

In a pinch, some folks can even take a 6 ft piece of line, then tie an end loop with 2 ft of line on one leg, and 3+ feet on the other. The sinker goes on the short line. The latter rig requires correct alignment of bait so it doesn't spin too much when fishing the bottom. But you can also clip the long leader line and tie on a swivel in the middle some where to alleviate twist.

rockfishswivelrig.gif
 Description:
bottom rig for bait
 Filesize:  5.1 KB
 Viewed:  9206 Time(s)

rockfishswivelrig.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:09 pm
phishinpat

[quote="gyozadude"]Pat:

Do we need to call capt. ted now? Or are we (me+1, Salty, Kin) part of your crew and don't need to do anything?

G-Dude,

you+1 and salty and kin(?) are part of my group.
According to cpt. ted he has 18 including my(our) group. So if any one else wanna roll, just show up.

The link G-dude provided should have directions.
Don't forget to arrive early for street parking.

Any one else need three way live bait rigs? I'm stopping at fishery supply tomorrow before I come in to work. Let me know, as I have about 2 packs of rigs left.

Sea sickness shouldn't be too bad, listen to 'Slinger and don't eat any chocolate or sweets prior to boarding. Constantly look around, stay a way from the diesel fumes and don't forget to breathe...hehe, get plenty of sleep. Some herbal remedies should work prior to boarding. If you are really worried bout it, you can get some motion/sea sickness pills at longs or any local drug store.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:27 pm
phishinpat

gyozadude wrote:
New info on Miss Farallones and Captain Ted:

new phone: 925-689-0900

Webpage Info: http://www.sfsportfishing.com/missfarallones.html

They leave out of Fisherman's Wharf according to the webpage.

James, you link doesn't work.
Just Google miss farallones and it'll come up.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 4 of 6  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: