pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> At home caviar? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 am
SurfFisher08

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to cure sturgeon caviar for consumption & storage. I'm looking online and can't find anything. Thanks for the insight.

-SF
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:46 pm
tinman

there were a couple threads about it

not sure if you can access the archives or not, but they should be in the "old" database

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm
t177

Here ya go.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=0&viewid=170876

I found similar (same) method online while searching for "caviar recipe" or "caviar preparation" on google.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:24 pm
FishermanDan

How many keeper size sturgeon have enough eggs to make caviar? I remember hearing that Sturgeon only reproduce at a certain age/size...I'm just wondering if that fits into the keeper range? Or if thats actually even true.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:21 pm
SurfFisher08

Don't know for sure, but a few anglers around me said they occasionally get a large female with eggs. For the sake of the species, I would let it go (who would keep a pregnant female anything, just not sporting). Just like perch though, mistakes occasionally happen and you don't know until you cut the thing open. When I finally catch a keeper sturgeon and I subdue it and it turns out the be a female with lots of caviar, I wouldn't want to let it go to waste. Just my two cents.

-SF
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm
tranbaby2

how would you know a female is carrying eggs without cutting it open? on that note, how can u distinguish sexes?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 pm
SurfFisher08

Just like most fish species, a female full of eggs or young (in the case of Surf Perch) are usually really plump. I mean obviously carrying eggs. Though many of my halibut this year were females and showed no sign of carrying eggs. I've seen pictures of really fat sturgeon swollen with eggs.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 am
dsrtegl

Sharks, skates, rays, AND STURGEON male fish all have claspers.

i.e. EXTERNAL MALE REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS".....Covered more than a few times on the old board and with diagrams if I remember properly..

With proper education it is impossible to get a male sturgeon mixed up with a female, and in my experience, a slot female is gravid.............never have seen one that wasn't.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 am
eelmaster

"in my experience, a slot female is gravid.............never have seen one that wasn't. "

So, let me get this straight. You think that a female sturgeon, with in the slot limit, is always going to be gravid? What is that, a 20 year gestation?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:52 pm
northern boy

SF; ChuckE on NCKA is the man to ask.

dsrtegl wrote:
Sharks, skates, rays, AND STURGEON male fish all have claspers.

i.e. EXTERNAL MALE REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS".....Covered more than a few times on the old board and with diagrams if I remember properly..

With proper education it is impossible to get a male sturgeon mixed up with a female, and in my experience, a slot female is gravid.............never have seen one that wasn't.

Unfortunately, this is untrue. Sturgeon do not have claspers and it is not possible to accurately determine the sex of adult sturgeon.

A new method, based upon examination of the urogenital opening, was published in 2003. Whilst it seems reasonably accurate, the photographs contained within demonstrate that the actual examination would be very tricky on a live, legal-sized sturgeon and would almost certainly break DFG rules. Here are some exceprts from that paper followed by a link to the original.

Vecsei et al. "A noninvasive technique for determining sex of live adult North American
sturgeons."

Environmental Biology of Fishes 68: 333338, 2003.

"......researchers have concluded that there is no external sexual dimorphism in sturgeon morphology
(Berg 1962, Scott & Crossman 1973, Doroshov et al. 1983)........... Thus most authorities have concluded that there is no reliable method for determining the sex of adult sturgeons from external morphology."

"We have developed a noninvasive technique to determine the sex of adult North American sturgeon by examination of the external morphology of live individuals.We analyzed four sturgeon species taken by commercial and scientific harvest: white Acipenser transmontanus, green A. medirostris, Atlantic A. oxyrinchus and shortnose A. brevirostrum. Males have a urogenital opening in the shape of a letter "Y", while the opening of females is in the shape of the letter "O". We accurately sexed 26 of 36 sturgeon using this criterion. Accuracy was highest in live fish (82%), and significantly lower in dead fish (29%). Dead sturgeon usually have the rectum prolapsed so that the urogenital opening is protruded, and thus making the sexes indistinguishable."

Link to the original: http://www.springerlink.com/content/r1753l46m5w47016/fulltext.pdf (You may not be able to access this without subscription. If anyone is interested I will send them a copy but posting the contents on here will almost certainly amount to a copyright infringment).
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:43 pm
clayman

While sturgeon are old fish, they aren't quite as old as sharks and rays. The Elasmobranchs evolved as a completely separate lineage from other fishes. Sturgeon actually derived from bony fishes, and over time evolved back to a cartilaginous skeleton. The reason Elasmobranchs have claspers is for internal fertilization. Sturgeon do not have claspers because they are broadcast spawners, laying their eggs across cobble/boulder substrate in deep river pools.

Some female sturgeon can reach spawning maturity at 38 inches in length, so there's definitely the possibility of catching a gravid female that is legal to keep. Plus, sturgeon do not spawn annually, so just because it's a female near spawning season doesn't necessarily mean it'll be gravid.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: