pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Advice needed on Avet drags [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:42 pm
tackleholic

I recently picked up an Avet Hoo-X, 2 speed. It's a beautiful reel. I can tell however that the drags were installed dry or on the dry side, by the way it feels. Question is, is it preferable to fish these with wet drags or were they designed to be fished dry. I have both cal drag grease and shimano drag grease that I use to relube my sealine's, torium's, penn and shimano reels. I'll most likely be fishing 80 braid with a topshot of 40-50 mono. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, anything I should watch out for like flying part?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm
Rockman

Tacleholic, congrats on your new HX.
This has been a very controversial topic. We (myself and the Avet brothers)conducted some very extensive testing with both greased and non-greased drag/s and after the smoke (literally) cleared, Avet has maintained "NO" grease needed.
I did write an (overly extensive results) article on Bloody Decks that you might find interesting. I've been on the Avet prostaff since they started in the business of building reels, fish Avets exclusively and never once have needed or used any grease on drag washers. I will also admit that I have taken some shots for my firm stance, but I truly believe that a good high quality carbon fiber washer should not need grease. The more the drag/s get worn in, the better they respond. My break-in procedure (condensed version)is as follows:
Fill the reel with line/spectra
Adjust drag to a high setting (based on line strength)
Put the reel on a heavy rod
Attach line to trailer hitch
Check for kids (late pm works better)
Ask wife /friend to drive down the street
Do this two or three time at different speeds from slow to faster.
Yes the reel will get hot to very hot. It's OK, their made to get hot.

As far as parts flying out and having to wear eye protection...... not to worry. The reels are very simple and don't need much attention. Keep them clean and after fishing put a drop of oil down the two-speed plunger.
Sorry for getting too extensive, but I hope this helps.
Rock
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 pm
alantani

yeah, but the real reason to grease the drag washer is prevent this........

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:29 pm
santa

Hey Rockman, Is Avet thinking about retrofit kits (maybe magnets) to upgrade some existing reels so the casting can be dialed in like the new casting system?
Just picked up a new MX(GREAT reel) B4 the system came out and am interested in such a system(can't afford another new reel right now). Gimme a PM if the info is secret/proprietary. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 pm
Rockman

Santa, I spoke to the Avet folks today and got some prices for the MC upgrade. Since the whole frame (with the exception of the side drive plate and spool) has to be replaced, it is a little pricy ....about $140.00. They will send it to you and the change-over is very simple. Just remove the three screws on the right side (drive side) plate pull the spool out of the frame and bolt the new frame on.
Hope that helps.
Rockman
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:45 pm
tackleholic

Rockman,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I took it apart yesterday to check it out after a multiday trip, had to clean all the chrome parts before corrosion set and the drags were dry, didn't see any evidence of saltwater intrusion in the gears or anywhere near the drag, but I kept it sprayed down with freshwater. Good reel, pulled in about 4-5 smallish tuna, 3-4 smallish yellowtail, and a decent wahoo with it. Love this reel. Used it mainly with jigs, but found it to be an excellent reel to lob a butt hooked sardine, heck of a lot easier to cast a bait than any of the tld or other lever drag reels I use and I can imagine it'd be spectacular if paired with a proper bait rod like a 700m instead of a heavier jigstick. If I do lube the drags, it'll probally be just an ultralight coat.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 am
santa

$140.00! OUCH! Since it's a new reel and $140.00 is 2/3ds the original cost, I'll stick with the traditional (thumb) cast system. Thanks for the info Rockman. BTW got my first drag screeming run last Tues. fishing the 7 bouy in Morro Bay. Drag set @ 4, cranked down all the way and just touched my thumb to spool to finesse it when the 65lb braid snapped like 2lb. Oh well, just wasn't ment to be.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:07 am
FishermanDan

Sounds like you ran into a Morro Monster! Sometimes you just can't stop em, no matter the reel/drag. Any telling if it was a Shark or Ray?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:56 pm
santa

Not a clue. Bet it was a ray as I was soaking whole frozen squid on the bottom.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Ken Jones

There's a reason they're called freight trains.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

I run across them in the bay. I love seeing 50lb peeling off of the reel. You can just feel how much power they have.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:05 am
FishermanDan

santa wrote:

Probably a ray, but you never know. The Leo bite (along with rays too) was hot this time last year. Lasted through December. Low Tides.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:24 am
illcatchanything2

FishermanDan wrote:
santa wrote:

Probably a ray, but you never know. The Leo bite (along with rays too) was hot this time last year. Lasted through December. Low Tides.

Is the bite hot this year? I may head down that way on Thanksgiving weekend (depending on the weather)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 am
FishermanDan

Wish I could say, but I can't. I did see though, that FD caught a few sardines in the bay. That and the low tides @ sunset go hand in hand with the good Leo Bites. Last year this time was pretty darned good. This year, however, the bay experienced soem dredging, that would have effected the fishing. My thought is that the bite was postponed, and will come later. If I had to guess, I'd say theres a good bet the bite is on. If you can catch some fresh sardines they will likely produce a shark or two, if they are in. The frozen ones also work well. Big baits rule. Cast just past and to the left of the 7 Buoy, Wink. If you make it, don't forget...fish the lowest tide(especially at/after sunset)!

Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 pm
Kumho

Yah, like FishermanDan said, lively sardines catch sharks, BIG sharks.(I recall the time when I caught a thresher shark on one at Pacifica pier)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: