Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Ken's Monthly Pier Reports Reply to this topic
>> November 2008 Fishing Report—Cen Cal (#130) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:27 pm
Ken Jones

Central California

San Luis Obispo County Piers

Pismo Beach Pier—Blair, from Sheldon's Clam Stand (on the pier), says the perch action has been fairly slow but jacksmelt remain in god numbers (although few mackerel). There does remain some fair shark and ray action although the threshers are missing in action. How To Get There: From the north, take Hwy. 101 to the Five Cities Dr. exit; follow Dolliver into the middle of town, then turn west on Pomeroy and follow it to the pier and parking lot. From the south, take the Pismo Beach Exit (Price St.), follow it to Pomeroy; turn west and follow it to the pier.

Avila Pier – Louis at Avila Bait & Tackle on the pier said that tings have been slow with only an occasional mackerel, jacksmelt or shark. How To Get There: Take Hwy. 101 to Avila Rd. and go west; turn left off of Avila Rd. on to Front St. and follow it to the pier.

Port San Luis (Harford) Pier — Alex at Patriot Sportfishing on the pier says there has been a red tide by the pier the last week and it has slowed the fishing. How To Get There: Take Hwy. 101 to the Avila Rd. turnoff and head west; follow the road to the end and the pier.

Morro Bay Wharf – No report this month. How To Get There: From Highway 1 turn south onto Main Street, follow it to Morro Bay Boulevard, turn left toward the bay and follow it to Embarcadero, turn right and follow Embarcadero to the end of the public parking which adjoins the piers.

Cayucos Pier —Nellie at the Tidepool says some halibut are being reported during the day, some sharks at night. How To Get There: Take Highway 1 to either Ocean Boulevard, which is the main street and will take you past the pier, or take the Cayucos Drive exit which will take you straight to the pier.

San Simeon Pier — No report this month. How To Get There: Highway 1 to the entrance to the park.

Monterey-Santa Cruz-San Mateo County Piers

Monterey Wharf #2 — No report this month. How To Get There: From Highway 1 take the central Monterey exit and follow Del Monte Avenue to Figueroa Street, turn left and follow to the wharf.

Seacliff State Beach Pier — Things have slowed although a few perch and small croakers continue to be taken. How To Get There: How To Get There: From Highway 1 take the State Park Drive exit; follow the road west to the park entrance.

Capitola Wharf — Ed, at the Capitola Bait Shop, on the wharf, says the wharf has been decent lately with some barred and black perch showing up, short halibut, and a mix of Spanish mackerel, Pacific mackerel and jacksmelt. He says some small squid are also being taken by anglers using bait rigs. He also saw an 11-inch sand sole one day. The bait shop also now has a fishing report on the tackle shop’s web site for those wanting additional information (http://capitolaboatandbait.com/fishing-report). How To Get There: From Highway 1 take the Bay Avenue exit west until it hits Capitola Avenue where you turn right; stay on this to Cliff Drive, turn right and park wherever you can find a spot.

Santa Cruz Wharf — Christina, at Andy’s Bait and Tackle, at the end of the wharf, says she’s mainly seeing mackerel and some have been good sized. PFIC reports indicate some halibut continue to show inshore (where the wharf widens) and that the mackerel mix includes both Pacific and Spanish. The macs are joined by a few jacksmelt. How to Get There: There are many ways to get to the wharf, the way I usually go is to take Ocean Street south from Highway 1; when you get to Laurel Street turn right and follow it to Pacific Street, turn left and follow Pacific to the wharf.

Piller Point Pier — No report this month. How To Get There: From Highway 1 simply take the Pillar Point Harbor turnoff and follow the road down to the main parking lot. This pier is to the far right of the parking lot

Pacifica Pier – Closed? How To Get There: Take Highway 1 to Pacifica, take the Paloma Avenue-Francisco Boulevard exit, take Paloma west to Beach Road, turn left and proceed a short way until you see markers indicating the way to Fort Point, turn left on Long Avenue and it will take you down to the pier.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 pm
XengineSlug

You doon't do the north coast reports anymore?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 pm
expo23

pacifica pier a central Ca?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:59 pm
XengineSlug

North of the Bay is considered northern california, SF Bay middle of the state, but I do believe the bay are piers were included in the norcal reports.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am
expo23

yeah exactly.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 pm
bayfishing

I thought pacificia never closed, 24X7 and all year round?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:12 am
Ken Jones

I ran out of time to do the Nor Cal reports for last month because I was moving on the first. They'll be back up next month.

Last edited by Ken Jones on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:33 am
illcatchanything2

bayfishing wrote:
I thought pacificia never closed, 24X7 and all year round?

Not open 24/7. Open from (I think) 4:00am-10 or 11pm. There was some rumors a few weeks ago about it being closed for some repairs or something, but I don't think that happened. It is open year round, but I think it has been closed off for short periods in the past due to high swells and/or repairs, but I am no Pacifica expert.

PFIC Message Boards >> Ken's Monthly Pier Reports Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: