pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> hotrodding the ambassaduer 5 and 6 series reels [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:07 am
alantani

when i first started doing reel seminars 5 years ago, one fourth of the reels brought in were ambassaduers. initially, they took up a third of the time. it took quite a while, but i figured out the right combination of penn ht-100 drag washers and metal washers. my problem was always a space issue. the penn washers i had were always too thick. recently, dawn at http://www.smoothdrag.com/ came out with a line of carbontex drag washers that fit perfectly. just slap on a coat of cal or shimano drag grease, switch out the drags and witness the miracle!

many of you have these old ambassaduers. it had been a love/hate relationship.

good looks and cheap, but unreliable. well, i want all of you to pull out those old seized up ambassaduers, and get ready to fall in love all over again. this is one reel that anyone can fix at home. here's how....

first, check out the smoothdrag website at http://www.smoothdrag.com/ and check out the carbontex drag washers. DO NOT get the old green or black smoothies. then call the smoothdrag lady. her name is dawn and her phone number is (760) 949-0271. order up a set of drag washers and some of cal's drag washer grease. she is absolutely one of the nicest people in the world. and tell her alan said hi!

next, go the the ambassaduer website at http://www.abugarcia.com/schematics/index.cfm and find the schematic for your reel. just as an example, i'm going to pick ambassaduer -> c3 -> 5500 -> 9909.pdf. let's start....

start with the left side plate. back off one screw (key #199) ONLY. squirt a small amount of grease into the screw hole and put the screw back!!!! do not remove the side plate. remove the next two screws, one at a time, and grease them as well.

remove the handle nut cap and screw (key #'s 14868, 96274 and 15359)

remove the c-clip (key #4490)

remove the handle nut (key #15359), the handle (key # 24500), the stainless steel spring (key # 5115), the star (key # 24502) and the cast control knob (key #'s 21717, 20917, and 20090)

remove the right side plate assembly (note that this photo shows the cast control knob still in place. it must be removed first).

separate the reel as shown below.

lube the level wind assembly.

lube the left spool bearing (key #13472) by popping out the nylon sprocket gear (key #23403). don't forget to pop it back in!

lube the right spool bearing (key #13472)

replace the spool assembly (key #970823) back into the frame and insert the spool shaft (key #802630)

now, for the right side plate. remove the two right side plate bridge screws (key # 5229)

NOTE THIS IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE: older reels have a more reliable anti-reverse dog (key #20671). note that the dog has to "grab" the ratchet gear at base of the gear sleeve (key #22079), as shown in the schematic that i've chosen to work with. newer reels have a less reliable anti-reverse roller bearing, as shown in the photo below

if you have a dog, note the proper position of the dog now, and make sure it is reassembled in the same way.

remove the right side plate cover (key #24511). note that the anti-reverse roller bearing sleeve and the two cupped pressure washers (key #5131) stayed with the side plate cover.

grease the screw holes

separate the drag/gear cluster as shown. note left to right, the ....

thrust washer (key #5189)
gear sleeve (key # 22079)
fiber washer (key # 13169)
main gear (key #21200)
3 alternating drag washers (key #20907)
flat slotted metal washer (key #20906)
flat keyed metal washer (key #20905)
cupped slotted metal washer (key #20960)

also shown in the photo are four new carbon fiber drag washers and a second flat slotted metal washer. ignore the second flat slotted metal washer.

apply a generous coat of cal or shimano drag grease to the new carbontex drag washers, rebuild the gear drag/gear cluster and discard the orginal ambassaduer drag washers.

if your reel has a dog (key # 20671), put the dog back onto the ratchet gear (key # 22079), install the spacer (key #22001) and then drop the drag/gear cluster back onto the right side plate base (key #24508) .

if your reel has an anti-reverse roller bearing, replace the roller bearing sleeve as shown in the photo below.

replace the right side plate bridge screws (key # 13369) and install the cupped pressure washers in a "()" orientation as shown below.

find the small white plastic brakes on the spool (key #20211) and press them in. failure to do this and the right side plate assembly may not seat properly.

install the right side plate assembly back onto the frame. make sure that the brakes are pressed "in" and that the anti-reverse dog is also "in." the right side plate assembly should seat cleanly, flush and with a "snap." tighten down the three right side plate screws. now check to make sure that the gear sleeve (key # 22079) turns freely and that the anti-reverse mechanism functions properly.

install the cast control cap assembly.

install the star and spring.

grease and install the handle.

install the handle nut and c-clip

install the handle nut cap and retaining screw.

pat yourself on the back and have a beer. well done!

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:33 pm
salty nick

I only have one conventional - an Ambassaduer 6501 C3 lefty. I have a problem where the drag doesn't want to engage upon cranking. I've temporarily solved the problem with a combination of duct tape and rubber bands, but am afraid to pop it open and try to really fix it - as I can just see springs, screws and misc. pieces flying everywhere! But with your detailed, step-by-step pictures/instructions, I just might be tempted to open 'er up. Thanks for the detailed tutorials.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
alantani

go for it! if there's a problem, drop me an e-mail. and post your results, good or bad. alan

Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:37 pm
bungle

Thanks for the step by step, Alan. How much work space would you recommend for this, or any reel repairs I suppose? My apartment is pretty small, and I have two extremely inquisitive cats.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:41 pm
grapeape168

THANKS!!! I will try it this weekend.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:45 pm
stripesidechaser

bungle wrote:
Thanks for the step by step, Alan. How much work space would you recommend for this, or any reel repairs I suppose? My apartment is pretty small, and I have two extremely inquisitive cats.

When I tear my reels down, I use a tv tray (the kind that has a lip on the edges so that parts don't roll off. Doesn't take much room at all.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:50 pm
alantani

yeah, that works. at the reel seminars, we use soda can trays. at home, i have a larger cardboard box cut down to leave a 1 inch lip.

guys, report back and let me know how you did.

Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:52 pm
grammar police

I think I will just let you continue to service my reels Alan. Not only can you do it blindfolded, I get to hang out and drink beers! Smile

Thanks for another stellar write-up.

Now its time to work on "how not to get your arse kicked in a RF tourney!" Hhahahahha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:09 pm
red fish

Good stuff Alan! I will print out this material and go to work when I have a little Miller Time. Luckily, I have an old 6500-L that is old, banged up, and a parts reel now, that I can practice your instructions on Wink I still want the knowledge that can be gained by listening to a full day of classroom instruction. The picture layout of the steps is very good (even better than video) in this case.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:15 am
guycognito

Thanks for taking the time to take such a detailed series of pics, alantani. I openned up my 5500c3 once to clean sand out, but after reassembly, the drag hasn't been the same as before. It's a lot tighter. I'm gonna check out those new drags soon.

BTW, do you have any suggestions for replacements for the baitrunner drags on a corrida br90? I think I got a bum reel b/c sometimes the baitrunner doesn't engage.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:33 pm
alantani

penn drags and shimano grease work just fine. if you're anywhere near saratoga, swing by the house sometime. as far as the baitrunner feature, i's have to look at it, but i'm not much at spinners. alan

Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:02 pm
patrick333

Alan, I told Clark about this post today while fishing with him in the delta. I told him to check out these new drag washer, but he told me that he's quite happy with the Abu you worked on for him with the HT-100. With your expertise, which one is better? Because I am thinking about hotrodding my Abu 6501 C3. Thanks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 am
alantani

they're equivalent in terms of performance. with the thicker ht-100's, i have to change out a few of the washers to make it fit. pretty simple, really. with the carbontex, you can switch them out with no other alterations.

Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:04 am
grammar police

alantani wrote:
they're equivalent in terms of performance. with the thicker ht-100's, i have to change out a few of the washers to make it fit. pretty simple, really. with the carbontex, you can switch them out with no other alterations.

So can I come by and switch out the 3-HT100's for 5-corbonex drags in the saltist?

I think I lost about 1/3 the drag range as noted by your quick home test. LMK.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 pm
tranbaby2

This definitely comes in handy. I too have the 6501C3 model with the same defect? as Salty's. Also, one with a drag that isn't as smooth as before.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: