pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> crusty abu garcia [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:39 pm
pinfish

Tried to go fishing at lunch but my Abu Garcia 5600 C4 Mag wasn't engaging gears after depressing the thumb bar. In other words, when you crank the reel, the spool is not spinning. The thumbar would not catch anything and be useless. Adjusting the tension knob and drag does nothing.

This has happened to me before. But the cause was a metal pin not sticking out of the plastic thumb bar. It was not long enough to push the plates that was part of the bail.

So I just cleaned up my reel this evening. Opened it up to find crust and corrosion. This reel is only a several months old. Even though this reel hasn't been dunked, just overall use -- the line gathering water from the spool, handling fish with wet hands and then grabbing the reel, (and sitting around in my car trunk) -- is good enough to get this reel dirty. I would also rinse this reel at times after use. But not often.

All the crust and dirt absorbed and somehow diminished the previous lube job. Some of the parts inside the reel are made to slide against surfaces. Cleaning and greasing this up allowed these parts to slide easily.

So the moral of the story is to rinse/mist/spray your reels with fresh water after use. And perhaps clean and lube them regularly. Perhaps every few weeks.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: