pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Shore areas of greatest importance? San Diego County— [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:46 am
Ken Jones

San Diego County Beaches—which are most important?

Posted by Ken Jones, May 2008

San Diego County:

1. Border Field State Park
2. Imperial Beach
3. Silver Strand State Beach 4. Coronado Shores Beach
5. Corondao City Beach
6. Ocean Beach City Beach
7. Ocean Beach Park
8. Mission Beach
9. Pacific Beach
10. Tourmaline Surfing Park
11. La Jolla Strand Park
12. Windansea Beach
13. Marine Street Beach
14. Children's Pool Beach
15. La Jolla Cove
16. La Jolla Shores Beach
17. Black's Beach
18. Torrey Pines State Beach
19. Del Mar City Beach
20. Seascape Shores
21. Fletcher Cove Park
22. Tide Beach Park
23. Cardiff State Beach
24. San Elijo State Beach
25. Swami's
26. Boneyard Beach
27. D Street Viewpoint
28. Moonlight Beach
29. Stone Steps Beach
30. Encinitas Beach
31. Beacon's Beach
32. Ponto Beach
33. South Carlsbad State Beach
34. Carlsbad State Beach
35. Carlsbad City Beach
36. South Oceanside Beach
37. Oceanside City Beach 38. Harbor Beach
39. San Onofre State Beach

Posted by ol dirty basser

Don't have time to rank them all in order, but from the areas I have fished I would vote to keep the following open:

Border Field
Imperial Beach
Coronado City Beach
Mission Beach
Ocean Beach
Windansea
Black's
Torrey Pines
San Elijo
Ponto
Carlsbad City Beach
Oceanside City Beach
Oceanside Harbor Beach
San Onofre

Posted by dompfa ben

FWIW. I acknowledge that these areas are specific to ME, and are not intended to represent the interests of ALL SoCal anglers.

Frankly, I think the rules will need to be changed for SoCal, and the precedent supposedly created in CenCal and NorCal can't be used here. When you have widely accessible beach areas used for a variety of purposes adjacent to metropolitan areas with high population density... how can you exclude only "fishing" and expect that it will somehow help stocks?

Anyway, before I get too upset, here's my San Diego Co. notes:

San Diego County:

2. Imperial Beach
3. Silver Strand State Beach
4. Coronado Shores Beach
5. Corondao City Beach

I’ve lumped these five together because I rarely fish them…which is to say, I’ve fished them in the past. When I’m that far south, I’m more likely fishing in the bay--or in Mexican waters--than on the beach. Still, these areas are widely accessible sandy beach areas with a strong urban influence. How could “fishing” be isolated as the sole activity that would be banned in these areas should they become MPAs?

7. Ocean Beach Park

The OB Pier and adjacent beaches are critical fishing areas…although the adjacent beaches are often too crowded in the summer months to be fishable. This HAS THE EFFECT OF MAKING IT A DE FACTO MPA…at least from fishermen…for a good part of the year.

8. Mission Beach
9. Pacific Beach

Ditto. Both of these areas are important surf fishing areas adjacent to an area of incredible population density. High beach traffic in the summer months makes them essentially unfishable, except maybe early morning/late afternoon on weekdays. Again—I’m more likely to be fishing in Mission Bay than on Mission Beach.

Unknown.

11. La Jolla Strand Park

Limited access, cliffs, etc. A few stairways to small beaches amidst rocky areas. I had my “spots” here when I used to visit San Diego several times a month, but haven’t fished it in years.

12. Windansea Beach

I never fished there. Looks fishy.

13. Marine Street Beach

I never fished these areas.

15. La Jolla Cove

While I never fished ON the beach here, these areas are critical launch spots for kayak fishing. Kayak fishing/private boaters/party boaters fishing outside of the La Jolla reserve is well established.

17. Black's Beach

Great summer surf fishing here, but it would not be as great a loss to me as other areas. I’m more likely to fish Torrey to the north.

Critical surf fishing area. I’m VERY WORRIED about this area, because it represents one of the only accessible beaches in the area that is not adjacent to a dense population center.

19. Del Mar City Beach
20. Seascape Shores
21. Fletcher Cove Park
22. Tide Beach Park
23. Cardiff State Beach
24. San Elijo State Beach
25. Swami's
26. Boneyard Beach
27. D Street Viewpoint
28. Moonlight Beach
29. Stone Steps Beach
30. Encinitas Beach
31. Beacon's Beach

#19 – 31 have a variety of fishing opportunities. Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach can be fishy, and Moonlight SB has great opportunities both on the beach and in the nearshore kelp beds. These areas are also important to the Oceanside sportfishing fleet, and the private boaters/kayakers in the area. I have not fished them extensively, but I have fished them throughout my life. Since some of these areas have limited access due to private land ownership interests and limited parking, they make more sense as MPAs than, say, Carlsbad.

32. Ponto Beach
34. Carlsbad State Beach
35. Carlsbad City Beach
37. Oceanside City Beach
38. Harbor Beach

Again- critical sandy beach surf fishing, widely accessible, multi-use areas. I have fished these areas extensively, including O-side pier. Busy in the summer, esp. on weekends.

39. San Onofre State Beach

As a kid, my family fished this beach at least twice a month. The beach used to be a lot “sandier” than it is now. The state beach day use fees are ridiculous, and the power plant makes an MPA in this area laughable. “The Domes” is an important private boater fishing area. Very fishable, but nothing like it used to be.

Posted by aaronL

I have not been lucky enough to fish every stretch of coast, so I will limit myself to what I know, or am familiar with through reading, my studies, etc.

Imperial Beach-6

Ocean Beach through La Jolla- 10 (much of this area is already protected, or is otherwise overseen by Scripps, who , judging by my talk with the director, have conservation interests at heart and are taking good care of the coast.)

SD Bay- 8, but I would be very surprised if they tried to ban all fishing in the Big Bay. If the bay is to be broken up, then South Bay (south of Coronado Bridge)-10
North Bay(Coronado Bridge to open ocean)-6

Mission Bay-9

Carlsbad area beaches-5

Oceanside beaches-6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 am
havo

I am very hesitant about the entire process here. Anything that focuses so much on just fishing and does not take into account other factors such as pollution, population, and military impact is a problem. I am also wary of the makeup of the action team. Too many professors from too many "Alternate Reality" universities.

Any area with a pier of Jetty needs to be left open to sports fishing. The ones we have are too crowded and closing one will have too significant an impact on other areas. After that I can only comment on some of them.

A - Both of these have major pollution impact so I am not sure if closing them without dealing with that will do much. Then again closing them might help.

2. Imperial Beach

B- These hold some of the best pier fishing in San Diego with OB and Crystal piers as well as the jetties. These need to be open.

7. Ocean Beach Park
8. Mission Beach
9. Pacific Beach

C- I questions many of these. They are not open to fishing as it is much of the time due to swimmers and surfers.

11. La Jolla Strand Park
12. Windansea Beach
13. Marine Street Beach
15. La Jolla Cove
17. Black's Beach

c- These need to be left open to fishing. They are some of the few large sandy beaches that are not directly impacted by the Down Town/Mexico pollution problems.

34. Carlsbad State Beach
35. Carlsbad City Beach
37. Oceanside City Beach
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: