pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Shore areas of greatest importance? Orange County — [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:47 am
Ken Jones

Orange County Beaches—which are most important?

Posted by Ken Jones, May 2008

Orange County:

1. San Clemente State Beach
2. San Clemente City Beach
3. Poche Beach
4. Capistrano Beach
5. Doheny State Beach
6. Salt Creek County Beach
7. 1,000 Steps Beach
8. West Street Beach
9. Aliso Creek County Beach
10. Victoria Beach
11. Brooks Beach
12. Main Beach
13. Picnic Beach
14. Rockpile Beach
15. Diver's Cove
16. Shaw's Cove
17. Crescent Bay Point Park
18. Crystal Cove State Park
19. Little Corona del Mar Beach
20. Corona del Mar State Beach
21. Rocky Point
22. China Cove Beach
23. Bayside Drive County Beach
24. West Jetty View Park
25. Balboa Beach
26. Newport Beach Municipal Beach
27. Santa Ana River County Beach
28. Huntington State Beach
29. Huntington City Beach
30. Bolsa Chica State Beach
31. Sunset Beach
32. Surfside Beach
33. Seal Beach

Posted by dompfa ben

Orange County:

1. San Clemente State Beach
2. San Clemente City Beach
3. Poche Beach
4. Capistrano Beach
5. Doheny State Beach

Critical surf fishing areas, including San Clemente Pier. Nearshore rocks, reefs and kelp beds make private boating/kayaking in this area important.

6. Salt Creek County Beach
7. 1,000 Steps Beach
8. West Street Beach

These three South Laguna/North Dana beaches are very fishy, but I have not fished them as much as other areas. I know that Salt Creek is fished by many…or at least used to be.

9. Aliso Creek County Beach

I still fish this area frequently. Sand and rocks. I miss the pier. Like most/all of the Laguna beaches, this area allows limited fishing (some species are protected).
10. Victoria Beach
11. Brooks Beach
12. Main Beach
13. Picnic Beach
14. Rockpile Beach
15. Diver's Cove
16. Shaw's Cove
17. Crescent Bay Point Park

There always seemed to be many fishing opportunities here… I’ve rrely fished most of these areas, due to limited access, limited parking, private drives, private land ownership, and more accessible areas nearby.

18. Crystal Cove State Park
19. Little Corona del Mar Beach
20. Corona del Mar State Beach
21. Rocky Point
22. China Cove Beach

These areas are used for fishing, but I think it is limited. I could be wrong about that. Needless to say, I don’t SURF fish these areas, but I have fished off them in my kayak. They are an important area for kayak anglers who launch from Newport harbor.

23. Bayside Drive County Beach
24. West Jetty View Park

Hmmm… why does this feel like a prostate exam? Let me just say: “these areas are very important for shore fishing.”

25. Balboa Beach

The pier is critical, the beach is very important… how can you separate the two? How can you have an MPA in front of all those beach houses?

31. Sunset Beach
32. Surfside Beach
33. Seal Beach

Ditto. These areas are critical surf fishing areas…and heavily used for a variety of other activities. Why castigate surf fishermen, and allow all the other degradation to continue unabated? It DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

Posted by snookie

Frankly they are all important to the fishermen, but the best ones are starting at the south end of the county: the old state beach at San Clemente. It was a great surf perch area. Doheny Beach was and is great for spotfin, halibut, yellowfin, corbina and an occasional seabass. San Clemente Pier is great for a lot of things such as halibut, bonito, spotfin and yellowfin. The jetties at Dana are good for a lot of good fish. Salt Creek is a good spot for corbina. There are many other good fishing areas along the Laguna Coast up to Corona del Mar. The CDM beach is a good place to surf fish when the people aren't there. Again the jetties are great if you want to chance walking out there. From the wedge to Balboa Pier is a very good surf fishing area when the surf isn't too big. Halibut are there frequently along with corbina, surf perch, etc. Balboa and Newport Piers are very good fishing at times all year. Huntington is a great fishing pier too. As to the rest of the piers up the coast, my knowledge is limited. Those groins in Newport have a lot of good fishing around them.

As to the areas that are best, I believe that from Doheny's south border down to the pier would be a 4. The Wedge up to 15th street would be a 10. The Bolsa Chica could be a 4. If some of these areas extend to 3 miles out, they are getting into some good fishing areas with a boat. NOT GOOD!

Snookie

Posted by Jimbojack

Not very familiar with many of the South County beaches. I've fished Salt Creek a few times and it already has restrictions.

24. West Jetty View Park
25. Balboa Beach
31. Sunset Beach
32. Surfside Beach
33. Seal Beach

These are all continuous sandy beaches occasionally broken up by a pier or jetty and not rockfish habitat. Are they going to tell us that perch, halibut and guitarfish are endangered? Newport and Huntington Harbors are breeding grounds for certain species, but I never thought of them as over-fished. I know that boaters can clean up on other species just offshore, but fishing from the beaches, piers and rocks don't pose a threat to anything.
Jim

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: