pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Fishcake recipe from the old Board [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 pm
frozendog

Kind of Thai style without the fire power that Mrs. Kittyfish doesn't like. I like the traditional or yankee style of fishcake with leftover fish and mashed potatoes, etc. but I wanted to do something different. I've made this recipe several times and each time did something a little different, but it came out just fine each time. For example, the first time I used filets that had a cajun coating that were destined for fish tacos, but Mrs. Kittyfish had a shopping attack and wasn't back in time for the fish tacos - so what to do with the already cooked filets. The point- you can use fresh uncooked fish, or fish already cooked - works fine both ways. Also, if you have some shrimp, throw it in and if not, it still comes out good.
Ingredients (without amounts. It all depends on how much fish you have and how you like them).
I chopped up a couple of rockfish filets into very small pieces (about the size of the tip of your little finger, at most).
Chopped up raw shrimp in small pieces.
Put together in a bowl.
Pick your veggies. I used zuccini, red bell pepper, jalepeno pepper, onion, and green onion. Chop into small pieces and add to the bowl.
I added some mayonaise and 1/2 of an egg to help thicken the mixture.
Season with whatever you like. I used some cajun seasoning and some lemon pepper and some Old Bay seasoning like you would use with a shrimp boil.
I mixed in enough Italian bread crumbs to hold the mixture together. Don't put in too much or it gets gummy. I used the Cajun flour seasoning instead of bread crumbs once, but it was too hot for Mrs. Kittyfish.
Mix together and form into cakes about the size of your palm and about an inch thick. Very important - refrigerate the cakes at least 1/2 - one hour to keep the cakes from falling apart when you cook them. If they fall apart, don't worry, just scoop it up and eat it like hash. Roll the fishcakes in Italian breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs or a mixture of half and half - gives them a nice brown crust.
I shallow fried the cakes with just a little oil and a pat or two of butter. Cook until light brown on medium heat - turn once. I fry up enough at one time for a serving for both of us and after dinner, I cook up the rest to microwave for lunch the next day.
I made a tomato/mango salsa to top mine. Mrs. Kittyfish likes honey mustard sauce on hers. I made a salad with 10 ingredients and sliced up an avacado and it was a yummy dinner. Also good with some top ramen on the side.
As you can see, this is a way to stretch your fish and also a good way to use up fish almost at the end of it's shelf life. Or you can make it up a day ahead and eat it after you go fishing all day the next day
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:01 pm
polishfromthedeep

mmmmm, i just made this.... kinda.... i didn't have all the ingredients so i improvised a little and it came out great

the only thing is that it fell apart, and that was OK

thanks FD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:42 pm
frozendog

be sure to refrigerate 1/2 to 1 hour before you cook.I still have trouble flipping fishcakes with out breaking them.Glad you enjoyed the recipe.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: