|Pier Fishing in California—
Message Board Rules & Guidelines (Revised 6/6/09, 6/19/10, 7/18/10, 8/27/11 and 3/13/14).
Pier Fishing in California (PFIC) is dedicated to the saltwater pier and shore anglers of California.
The PFIC Message Board is designed as a way for saltwater pier and shore anglers to share their knowledge and experiences in that environment and, hopefully, help increase their success in that particular environment.
The PFIC Message Board is dedicated to providing a quality web site that can be enjoyed by the entire fraternity of pier and shore anglers (which includes many children). We attempt to maintain a “clean” site that restricts vulgarity and “inappropriate” messages and pictures.
To keep in line with those goals the following rules & guidelines have been established.
Think before you post and then recheck your message after it is made. People have fifteen minutes to edit or delete a message so be careful in what you say.
1. Posts that contain personal attacks will be deleted and the person posting the message may lose posting privileges without notice. [If you have an argument with someone do not use the Message Board as your medium of communication, take it off the board.]
2. Posts that contain vulgar/obscene language (including abbreviations and/or Internet acronyms) or vulgar/obscene pictures (including avatars) will be deleted and the person posting the message may lose posting privileges without notice.
3. Deliberately altering photos detracts from the informational and educational aspects of PFIC. And, while we acknowledge and respect angler's efforts to guard their "secret spots," anglers are encouraged to frame photographs in such a way that either the locations are not betrayed by the photograph, or (preferably), they are shared in the benevolent spirit of the pier and shore fishing fraternity.... But please, do not alter pictures.
The same conditions apply to altering appearances. Anglers unwilling to show their face in the picture should not include a personal image. Do not simply erase facial images; such pictures will be removed. As always, editorial license is retained by management and moderators, and any photo can be removed with or without cause.
4. In regard to the issue of alcohol and/or tobacco: Moderators will automatically delete any picture showing (known) minors smoking or drinking alcohol. At the same time we realize that these are legal items for adults and used by many PFIC members. As such, we have no intention of deleting pictures that inconsequentially display such use of these items. However, if a subject is showcasing or glorifying the use of alcohol (i.e., the bottle is used as a prop), if the picture causes controversy, or if the moderators feel the picture has been contrived in such a way as to cause controversy, then it will be removed. In such cases the moderators are empowered to delete those pictures felt inappropriate.
In regard to the issue of illegal drugs: Moderators will automatically delete any picture showcasing or glorifying the use of illegal drugs. If the picture causes controversy, or if the moderators feel the picture has been contrived in such a way as to cause controversy, then it will be removed. In such cases the moderators are empowered to delete those pictures felt inappropriate.
5. Habitually negative posts directed toward fellow board members, the site, or moderators may cause the loss of posting privileges. This includes using pictures or quotes of fellow board members as part of a person's signature.
6. Posts should be made to the appropriate boards.
The Pier and Surf Fishing Board is the place to post reports, questions, answers, and topics related to California shore-based, fishing. (Allowed areas include all saltwater areas and the Carquinez Strait and West Delta region, up to Rio Vista)
The Off Topic Board is the place to discuss non-pier and non-shore related fishing, i.e., fishing reports from party boats and/or private boats, kayaks and float tubes, freshwater fishing and fishing reports from outside California. This board is also intended for general, non-fishing related discussion.
The Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Board is the place to share information and opinions on the MLPA, Bay-Delta and other fish/game related issues.
The Rod and Reel Advice/Seminar Board is the place to view and learn technical information from past threads of “the experts.” This board may change in the future.
The Seafood Recipe Board is the place to share favorite seafood recipes of the species typically caught from pier and surf—fish, lobster and crab.
The Pier Fishing in California Fishing Clubs Board is the place to plan individual fishing trips with fellow members or to plan larger "Get Togethers" among members.
The Favorite Video’s Board is the place to share opinions on the listed videos.
7. If you have a question please use the Search Engine before you post! You can either search the current boards that were started in June 2008 (the Off Topic started in 2005), or search the original PFIC Message Board that contains over 250,000 archived messages from 1997-2008. Chances are, the topic may have already been covered. If you can't find what you are looking for, or have something new that may be of interest to others, feel free to post a message.
8. Gratuitous posts of a personal nature are subject to deletion.
9. Commercial posts or advertisements are prohibited unless permission has been obtained from the PFIC staff. This includes signatures. Contact Ken Jones for permission before including commercial ads or links in your posts or signature.
10. The Message Board is not a chat room. For that reason we have activated the Private Messaging feature at the top of the page (see personal mailbox). Use the PM feature to send personal notes to someone on the board. However, the PM feature is designed to help people share information, it's not supplied as a means to circumvent the posting rules or facilitate attack-type messages. Both the Message Board and the Personal Message feature are designed to help anglers enjoy PFIC and to become better anglers. Members, especially new members, should not feel that their words and questions will lead to attack. We realize members will have differences but we hope communication both on the Message Board and in Personal Messages can remain civil. If however a member feels they have been attacked unjustly by another member using the PM feature they should send the moderators a note and we will (A) try to mediate the dispute between the members and (2) try to determine the appropriate response to the situation.
The rules & guidelines listed above are by no means complete. The moderators of the PFIC message board are given discretion to determine the appropriateness of posts. If your post gets deleted, try not to take it personally. The goal is to have messages that benefit the entire PFIC family.
Last edited by Ken Jones on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 14 times in total