pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Corn flakes instead of seasoned bread crumbs [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 pm
norcalrod

Being oriental...

My parents use to bread their fish in Panko. Other frying recepies that I've use call for seasoned bread crumbs.

Personally, I found that crushed corn flakes are much better. The corn flakes give a nice crunchy crust to the fillets, and add a sweetness to the flavor, especially for rockfish.

Take the fillets, dry, season if desired. Dip in flour, hit it with an egg wash, then cover with crushed corn flakes. Fry on each side golden brown, serve with your favorite dressings/tartar etc.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:13 am
polishfromthedeep

Haha, that's awesome.... i never thought if that....

Do you crush the flakes a little bit or keep them whole?

Also, i ran out of bread crumbs one day frying rockfish and used some crushed white cheddar cheese-its..... amazing is the only word to describe it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm
jgy

I do the same thing with chicken quarters. Throw them in some flour/cayenne mix, then eggwash, then crushed corn flakes. I then "flash fry" it in butter for a few minutes on each side then finish it off in the oven at 375 for about 30 min. Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmm good!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:04 pm
Sin_Coast

For rockfish, I prefer 50% Panko and 50% Zatarains Cajun. But you can use pretty much any type of cracker/chip, as long as it doesn't burn. Heck, I tried crumbled nacho cheese doritos once! Wasn't very good but that's all I had at the time.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm
illcatchanything2

Sin_Coast wrote:
For rockfish, I prefer 50% Panko and 50% Zatarains Cajun. But you can use pretty much any type of cracker/chip, as long as it doesn't burn. Heck, I tried crumbled nacho cheese doritos once! Wasn't very good but that's all I had at the time.

Sounds like a bachelors meal..... Use whatever is there, and maybe some left over dominoes (pizza) that is a couple days old, but still doesnt smell funky....... Sorry, reliving my college days there for a minute....Smile

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: