pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
>> Need advice on Surf Casting [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am
DPRICENATOR

So I am going to Playa Del Carmen in late June. I am not going to shell out the money to go boat fishing, but I want to cast off the beach. I have the small gear and technique handled. However I need help with my bigger gear.

I picked up an Okuma Nomad 10Ft travel rod, and paired it with a Penn Battle II 6500. I went down to the beach to practice casting it, and had mediocre results. Using a 1.5 oz lead head and a 9in big hammer I could only get it to go about 50 yards. Granted it was a little windy, but the lure is not aerodynamic at all. Then I switched over to a 3.7 oz CANDY BAR Spoon. Man that thing flies. the 1st 3 cast were well into the 100 yard range. But on my 4th cast my line snapped, and I sent that spoon at least 120 yrs, to it's final resting place on the bottom. Good thing it was not a $30 popper.

My main target species are Crevalle Jack and Cuda. So I want to be able to get 100 yards out, with out snapping the line. Any of you guys have tips or recommended reading watching material? I would be grateful and will post pics after the trip.

Thanks in advance.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am
Mahigeer

Did the Nomad come with one or two tip section?

There are a lot of YouTube videos about surf casting in Baja.

Jensen is one of the best. He uses long rods.

I would say practice is the only way to get better.

I am going to Cabo myself shortly and taking a Lamiglass rod with me for my surf fishing time.

Don't forget wire leader as Sierras could be lure killers.

I found reasonably priced poppers on EBay if you have time to get it before leaving.

Tight lines.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:47 pm
porkchopXpress

Yeah Mahigeer is right about there being great videos on that. Is the power of the rod the heavy or the medium/heavy? You could try a shock leader to counter the line breakage. That combined with a lighter weight braid might help you hit your desired distances. I dunno might be worth a try
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 pm
DPRICENATOR

Thanks guys. I've watched a few of the casting videos and plan on doing some practice this weekend. I'll have to look up the shock leader, but I was going to add a small length of mono, to help prevent the line breakage
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:01 am
bosslzkib

I've been surfing for a couple of years. and achieved many good results, I feel professional. In fact, not only practice is important but the theory https://under-the-open-sky.com . They have topics about fishing, oh, and with me such a good hunter. Sometimes it seems that I'm perfect
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: