Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Anybody fishing? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm
Ken Jones

Too much rain?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:58 pm
porkchopXpress

Just got back from Mendocino. Fished the headlands yesterday for about 3 hours. Got there at high tide and got a cabbie off a 4" white grub on a drop shot rig. Later got a ling off a red 6" grub dropshotting. Got lucky with the weather. Sun was out with no rain. Water had decent clarity and swells were about 6'-7'. Went out again today for a couple hours but not a single strike. Saw a ton of whales pretty close in. Always cool to watch while fishing
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 am
Ken Jones

Sounds like a good trip.n Always fun to see some whales; saw quite a few last week down at the Balboa Pier.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 am
pinfish

too cold and morning tide was too low this weekend. no fish all over the bay

my friend showed me a cellphone shot of the rocky shoreline near robert crown beach alameda. there were tons of people fishing there for something

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 am
YoungAsianFisher

Saturday was reported to rain in the Delta so I stayed home but supposedly it didn't even rain... Went out Sunday with a few friends, and only one keeper striper a little over 18in. Low tide was low, high tide came around garbage everywhere. Just a few more days until I'm reunited with the salty Pacific chasing lingcods
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am
nacho

We did some fishing on Sunday for many, many hours, but except some exciting bites, we didn't hook anything.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:01 am
sea++

Worked our ways from Steamer Lane at sunrise to Bonny Doon later in the day. Beautiful scenery, good company, and some occasional feisty bites that the hooksets were missed on-- I had my first legitimate hookset of a fish on a swimbait at Bonny Doon but it came off on the retrieve-- so while it wasn't productive it was a lot of fun. Always good to get out and explore some new spots (and pick up some beers from local breweries for home)

nacho wrote:
We did some fishing on Sunday for many, many hours, but except some exciting bites, we didn't hook anything.

Hold on now! I caught and released that 12.5" cab, Uglystick landed a smaller cab, and you had anchovies haha

but yes, of the three of us, you were the only one to go home with food for home that didn't come from a market Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am
sphunfishing

I got one of these and went to the Dumbarton Pier to tested out last week. https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-FFW-718-Wireless-Portable-Finder/dp/B00MARDOCW/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1521483840&sr=1-19&keywords=portable+fish+finders

The fisher finder is either broken, or there's no sign of life at the Pier.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am
pinfish

sphunfishing wrote:
I got one of these and went to the Dumbarton Pier to tested out last week. https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-FFW-718-Wireless-Portable-Finder/dp/B00MARDOCW/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1521483840&sr=1-19&keywords=portable+fish+finders

The fisher finder is either broken, or there's no sign of life at the Pier.

the latter, lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:47 pm
giantbrookie

I have a done just a smidge of fishing in the past week plus. Here's a summary.

Sunday Mar. 11. Land's End, SF ca. 3-4 pm or so . After doing some geologic field work, I scrambled down the spine of a ridge to a nice little casting platform at its end (probably 20' above the water) and fired a few casts into a nice hole using a hi-lo with shrimp. I had no action other than some hits on one cast that stripped my lower hook. It is clear that many others had been there before because there was quite a few little pieces of line and other stuff there. It was too bad I didn't have more time to spend there. Looked like a fine spot.

Saturday Mar. 17. Southern Sonoma Coast. I was up there leading a geologic field trip and staying at Doran Beach. My Saturday geologic activities were short enough to allow for some fishing time. I had planned to take a few casts off of the point between Schoolhouse and Portuguese beaches, but a couple firing casts from the upper level had that spot pretty well covered, so I fished Portuguese beach itself from about 3 to 5 pm. The surf was fairly high, so I used a 6 oz weight, but still found it was getting moved around. I believe the tide was outgoing at that time. I ended up catching a 11" red tail surf perch, a 12" striped surf perch, and one subsize red tail of about 9" or so and having a lot of hits that stripped bait. Earlier in the day, while looking at geology, we saw several folks fishing at Blind Beach (south of Goat Rock). One of them was having a banner day and the others were getting skunked. The guy who was killing it had a streak of at least 4 impressive red tails in a row. The largest of these looked to be in the 16"+ range. I say "at least" because I witnessed 4 in a row (with very little wait time before being hit on each cast) and then went around a corner to look at geology where I couldn't see the guy fishing. It is entirely possible that his win streak extended longer than that. After we finished looking at geology and walked past this guy again, he caught another one, but this was a junior red tail of about 9" which he quickly released. Meanwhile back and Doran some of the students reported seeing folks do well for crabs (off the jetty).
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm
DragonDJ11

Hit the Baker Pier in San Fran on Sat with my GF. It was an absolutely beautiful day weather wise. I did catch one decent sized smelt, and she missed something that would have been pretty substantial. Otherwise a few missed bites.

Guys over from us, managed to catch a good number of Smelt and even a Cab in the crab trap. Cab didn't go sown without a fight though, as it stuck a few of his spines in one of the guys hand.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm
dan v.

Must have been misidentified , don't believe Cabs have sharp spines ?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 pm
Rufio

I fished the Pebble Beach pier today. Caught a few black perch and a striped perch. Senoritas kept stripping my hooks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 pm
CatchinKelp

Me and my lady fair made a stop at Harford Pier (Port San Luis) yesterday evening from 7:00.- 8:00 PM for not-too-serious bait jigging on the way back from a Sunday drive. It was more to see if she could catch some little fish for amusement and for me to get off the skunk of night fishing O'Neill Forebay last Tuesday (a la no catfish or stripers). There were several parties fishing but pretty dead seeming. I managed just one small white croaker on squid-tipped sabiki casting far, and she was fishing a cut squid high low for no bites. It was light breeze from west but chilly. Maybe catch some big smelt next time.

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am
Mikeriv

Too much rain and havenít had much free time lately. Been wanting to get down to Balboa but I figure the weather might drive the mackerel away.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: