pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> proposed herring limits [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm
Eekamouse!

Article about potential limits for recreational fisherman. Some folks are already complaining that keeping a couple hundred pounds is not enough.

http://www.marinij.com/sports/20180305/fishing-proposal-to-limit-recreational-herring-fishing-raises-questions
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm
YoungAsianFisher

I don't really understand why... From my reading commercial fisherman net in roughly 1000 tons of herring per year which is estimated to be 5% of the herring biomass where as recreational fisherman are taking in total an estimated 200 tons which should translate to another 1% of the herring biomass. Yet some commercial are complaining that this needs to be restricted even more? Shore based netters only have so many opportunities to get to the herring. One day the spawn is in X location and the next day it'll be at X2 location. Netting herring is not their main profession so they're stuck at work wishing they coul chase the spawn for that bucket or two...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:22 am
ING

Using 10'-12' casting nets and loading huge containers in the track - it is not recreational fishing. It is pure commercial.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am
k1n

I'm going to rattle some cages here...

Commercial guys telling rec guys that they're taking too much because of what they perceive is a bit of a joke.
Rec guys get limited chances at herring with a labor intensive method of take. No matter how much they take in a given spawn session, it is nowhere as much as commercial guys nor anywhere as effective per set. Ever see the herring boats work the schools?
"Excess" herring are usually pickled/dried/smoked/preserved to be consumed in its entirety at a later time vs egg harvesting/industrial use for by product.
It is stated in the article that the fishery is already conservatively managed. Give us numbers to prove recreational take of herring adversely affects the population in a significant way then we'll talk.
Although I do find it difficult to consume more than a small cooler full in a few days, this is just myself as an individual. When I take into consideration of multiple mouths in a household and multiple households, its not far fetched to be able to consume what some perceive as "excessive" amounts.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm
YoungAsianFisher

k1n wrote:
I'm going to rattle some cages here...

Commercial guys telling rec guys that they're taking too much because of what they perceive is a bit of a joke.
Rec guys get limited chances at herring with a labor intensive method of take. No matter how much they take in a given spawn session, it is nowhere as much as commercial guys nor anywhere as effective per set. Ever see the herring boats work the schools?
"Excess" herring are usually pickled/dried/smoked/preserved to be consumed in its entirety at a later time vs egg harvesting/industrial use for by product.
It is stated in the article that the fishery is already conservatively managed. Give us numbers to prove recreational take of herring adversely affects the population in a significant way then we'll talk.
Although I do find it difficult to consume more than a small cooler full in a few days, this is just myself as an individual. When I take into consideration of multiple mouths in a household and multiple households, its not far fetched to be able to consume what some perceive as "excessive" amounts.

I don't think it can be explained any better than how you just did!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm
xpostman

Great article. Commercial vs Recreational = Fertilizer vs Food. Recreational fishermen eat their catch. Itís not easy for shore fishing folks to catch a spawn unless they are retired or have a lot of free time. I have been stuck at work during last big spawns in. 2017 and 2018. I was lucky in 2016. Smoked my herring catch and shared with so many friends and family many are elderly. Also we only get the bycatch that got through the commercial nets strung up nearshore. A lot of the herring fishermen are immigrants or a minority racial group. I smell a hint of racism or elitism when an an observation is made during a successful spawn. I also believe in conservation. Start by reducing commercial quotas as well and adjust recreational catch limit based on solid science facts.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 am
songslinger

xpostman wrote:
I smell a hint of racism or elitism when an an observation is made during a successful spawn.

And your suspicion has merit. Which will make enforcement problematic. Even so, it is high time there was some regulation on angling behavior that flaunts ethics and sneers at common sense manners. It turns my stomach to witness such greed and rudeness during these spawns, where people stock up, cache the herring in their cars, and return with 30-gallon bags for more. If you happen to be alone, they will push you out of the way. (Sure, you can fight back and conjure your best Donald Tough Guy avatar, but what's the point?)

For the record, I've seen people from all nationalities and skin hues take part in the abuse. No racial group is immune.

Take heed. Unless you don't mind referring to herring the same way we do now for sardines. "Back in the day..."

Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: