pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Depth Appreciation [February 2018 Report; MNTRY/SMC/SF/MRN] [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:46 pm
Rebop

I just bought some sprinting shoes from Marshalls or TJMax for about 15 bucks. They have metal spikes that screw into the soles. Been meaning to try them out but haven't had the time.

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 pm
sea++

Rebop wrote:
I just bought some sprinting shoes from Marshalls or TJMax for about 15 bucks. They have metal spikes that screw into the soles. Been meaning to try them out but haven't had the time.

Nice! Yeah definitely interested to hear how they hold up on some of the more slippery surfaces.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Rebop

Me too. Tried just about everything else so far. We recently settled on some sandals from bass/outdoor world that were pretty inexpensive and they have a tread like a hiking boot. I still have to take my time to not slip but at least I can wade without care when I need to. I think the sole is too stiff and I'm sometimes unsteady and teeter on big rocks like the jetties at HMB.
With these Adidas, the back of the sole has a texture that supposedly works well on wet grass (almost sharp and painful to touch), and the front has removable/replaceable metal spikes (you can also order different sizes). The rest is a rubbery plastic, so I'm hoping they'll hold up around salt water. Might need to punch some holes in them or saw the toe off a little so they drain nice. They were also stupid cheap. We'll see once it gets a little warmer out.
Finding the right thing has been fun, even the falling down parts haven't really taken the wind out of our sails. LOL
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 pm
Sin_Coast

Excellent report, again! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
I'd venture a guess that colorful grassy is actually a kelp rockfish. They tend to have a lot of color variations during the spawn, especially the fins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 pm
sea++

Sin_Coast wrote:
Excellent report, again! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
I'd venture a guess that colorful grassy is actually a kelp rockfish. They tend to have a lot of color variations during the spawn, especially the fins.

Thanks for the compliment! I've received so much from the reports on this board that it feels good to give back a little.

As for the fish ID, that'd be a first for me if it was a kelpy! I caught that guy at the same area at point lobos that I've pulled out countless grassies and (mostly) undersized cabs. It's a sandy bottom littered with large mussel covered rocks and is around 6-8ft deep at its deepest during high tide, but no kelp that I can see. There is some visible vegetation below the surface in two spots but I've never pulled up anything that looked like kelp whenever I've gotten myself snagged in it. I only bring this up because my understanding is that this type of environment isn't all that appealing to kelp rockfish. But hey, Uglystick has pulled a legal striper from this hole so anything is possible Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Sin_Coast

They're usually in the same general area as grassies. But it sounds like it's probably a grassy based on what you mentioned below. It's funny how I always catch grassies from shore, but if I fish the exact same area from my kayak in 15-40fow, I catch tons of kelpies. They seem to be particularly voracious during the spawn. And the pregnant kelpies are really easy to spot because they have super fat bellies.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: