pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Smokey Tomato Fish Stew [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 pm

This recipe is originally from the site Cooking on the Weekends [LINK] and while I'm pretty faithful to the types of ingredients used, I do tend to add more stock, paprika, cayenne, as well as of all the vegetables (corn, spinach, onion) in trying to make it a heftier stew. It has an incredibly robust, smokey flavor that is great both fresh out of the pot but continues to change and get "deeper" overnight in the fridge. Makes fantastic leftovers and is a great stew for any meaty mild-flavored fish like cabezon or MFPB.

In the pictures below I used the meat from a few monkeys since they are mild and hold up well in slow-cooked stews like this. I imagine kale or other hardy greens would work well in this stew too.

RECIPE (original recipe here: http://cookingontheweekends.com/2012/01/smoky-tomato-fish-stew/)

olive oil for the pan
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 cup thinly sliced brown onion
4 whole garlic gloves stems removed and sliced thinly
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 cup corn kernels (see notes)
1 cup roasted red pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup packed spinach leaves
1 pound+ fresh fish fillets cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice

optional: smoked sea salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Coat the bottom of a medium-large soup pot with olive oil, and place it over low-medium heat. Add the paprika and let it cook until it begins to sizzle, about 4 minutes.

Add the onion and turn the heat up to medium. Let the onion cook for about 5 minutes and then add the garlic. Continue to cook until the onions are very soft, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the rosemary and thyme and let it cook until it's very aromatic, about 30 seconds.

Add the corn and roasted peppers and combine. Cook until the bottom of the pan is very brown, about 5 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes, stock and wine. Add the cayenne, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the spinach, fish and lemon juice, and cook just until the fish is cooked, about 5 minutes.

Season generously to taste with smoked sea salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper.

If you haven't figured it out by now, mise en place is definitely a thing in my kitchen Smile

Making sure to really cook those spices, garlic, and onions in the olive oil will ensure a deep, smokey flavor that will only get better the next day should you have leftovers.

Adding the corn and peppers.

Deglazing the pan with a mixture of stock, wine, and tomatoes was new to me but works really well. I also added the remaining juice from the jar of roasted red peppers.

Adding the fish, spinach, and lowering the heat to let things slowly cook for longer than the recipe calls for is how I did it.

A couple slices of toasted sourdough complements things nicely.

Catch & cook. No time for selfies.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: