pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> A River Runs Through It [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 pm
red fish

Quick trip up to Guernville and a quick report. Made my way up past Santa Rosa and through Sebastopol and Forestville to Guernville Road. Big Rich always took River Road /116 which was a longer route (and more scenic). I made the ritual stop at Kingís Sporting Goods for the 411. Made the easy kill at Johnsonís Beach. No drifting, bobber-dogging, or plunking - just tossed a Lilí Cleo(gold) and a knock-off Lilí Cleo. Actually, the knock/off, that was a little more dense (ywith gold falling off and a fat red stripe in the middle) got more fish.

Got a late start of 11:30 crossing the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and got there in 1.5/hrs and made the same timing on the return trip.

A little sprinkling rain on and off a couple times but I was able to avoid it completely on the Russian while I fished. I was going to make the loop as Rich usually did past Duncan Mills and Jenner through Bodega Bay, but with the current report of 22mph, I decided to stay in Guernville and return on Guernville Road!

Caught a bunch of smolt and a California squawfish.

0F799F0D-A3CC-4933-A8FE-62F8BDB0D6E1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.66 KB
 Viewed:  1193 Time(s)

0F799F0D-A3CC-4933-A8FE-62F8BDB0D6E1.jpeg

E65DD3B7-9665-4EA6-AC9A-BB691683F8C2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.26 KB
 Viewed:  1193 Time(s)

E65DD3B7-9665-4EA6-AC9A-BB691683F8C2.jpeg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 pm
red fish

red fish wrote:
Quick trip up to Guernville and a quick report. Made my way up past Santa Rosa and through Sebastopol and Forestville to Guernville Road. Big Rich always took River Road /116 which was a longer route (and more scenic). I made the ritual stop at Kingís Sporting Goods for the 411. Made the easy kill at Johnsonís Beach. No drifting, bobber-dogging, or plunking - just tossed a Lilí Cleo(gold) and a knock-off Lilí Cleo. Actually, the knock/off, that was a little more dense (ywith gold falling off and a fat red stripe in the middle) got more fish.

Got a late start of 11:30 crossing the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and got there in 1.5/hrs and made the same timing on the return trip.

A little sprinkling rain on and off a couple times but I was able to avoid it completely on the Russian while I fished. I was going to make the loop as Rich usually did past Duncan Mills and Jenner through Bodega Bay, but with the current report of 22mph, I decided to stay in Guernville and return on Guernville Road!

Caught a bunch of smolt and a California squawfish.

RR_Comp.jpg
 Description:
*That's a G-Dude Special (Bull-Trout Rod)/ UPSAC Edition 10'/10-17
*Shimano Solace 4G
*20# Red PP fused to 10 feet of 10# moss green Stren
 Filesize:  62.19 KB
 Viewed:  1181 Time(s)

RR_Comp.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:32 am
Ken Jones

Robert, good to see someone is getting out. Looks like a good time.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 am
Sin_Coast

Right on!! Nice work, Red. Sounds relaxing AND fun. Thanks for the report.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am
calaznfisher

Thanks for sharing, Red.

BTW, the 2nd fish you have pictured appears to be a Sacramento Sucker (Catostomus occidentalis). Interesting catch on a lure.

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am
red fish

calaznfisher wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Red.

BTW, the 2nd fish you have pictured appears to be a Sacramento Sucker (Catostomus occidentalis). Interesting catch on a lure.

Thanks, I thought that was a sucker by the mouth. Which makes me wonder if the other really small ones I have caught previously were squawfish (pike minnows) or suckers. The last time I identified a Sacramento sucker was when my oldest brother was graduating from Sac State in Ď88 and we were wading in and fishing at Howe Street. My brother caught a sucker of about 3# in the fast moving part of the river on a Budís Steelhead Spinner as I recall. I havenít heard of anyone catching a pikeminnow on a lure but I guess if you got a plastic worm in front of one, maybe?

The other error I made was that it was a Shimano Solstace 4000 which is a made up word from combining soltace and solstice perhaps?

Question is does anyone have any tactics for catching less steelhead over smolt in the Russian River? I have one fly rod that is a 5-weight but I have never caught anything on it (left it at home that day).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 am
sphunfishing

Nice catch. On the 2nd pic, it looks like the spoon is a bit large for the fish, but it took it anyway.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: