pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Number 2 This Year So Far [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 am
snookie

Yesterday we got lots of bait, smelt, and not too many strikes. I did catch and land a 22 1/2 inch halibut which is now my second for the year. I"ll take one a month. That's okay. I lost another one right after that.

Snookie
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm
mav

Congrats!

I enjoy fishing for halibut too. Did you know they shrink? I've found that if I get a 22" leagal halibut, it's time to go home. Lol Or I'll release it, depending on condition or location caught.

I've had a 22" halibut shrink by a quarter of an inch by the time I got it home.

I've had a 29" halibut shrink a whole inch. I caught it and told the game warden, waiting near the shore section of pier, "Yea, it's 29." We measure it and it's only 28". I reply, "Well, it was 29".." lol It took only the half an hour to get up and leave from when I caught the fish, and it shrunk.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 am
songslinger

Snookie rocks!

What bait were you using for those halibut?

Mav: it's true. They shrink. I never keep halibut at 22" or striped bass at 18" for that very reason. Actually witnessed this guy taking home a 22-inch flattie he scored on Berkeley Pier, only to be confronted at the parking lot and cited because the warden measured it out at 21 inches. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:24 pm
mav

I've found that in the near shore areas that I fish for halibut, they prefer smelts BUT they wont pass up an opportunity. Ive caught large halibut from an 8" sardine to a 3" anchovie. I've also caught them on 5/8 chrome krocodile spoons and on plastic grubs as a bi catch while spotted bay bass fishing.

The funny thing with halibut is that, sometimes they'll come up easy like a piece of kelp, and once the see you, they peal off at full speed.

Best fight was a 28" on #6 mono. I was fishing for mackerel with anchovies and I got hit close to the surface. That fish took off like a bat outta hell. I was affraid that I wasn't going to be able to turn it. I faught it hard for 15 minutes, trying not to pull too hard and break the line. Then thankfully, I started gaining after that.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am
spicytuna

songslinger wrote:
Snookie rocks!

What bait were you using for those halibut?

Mav: it's true. They shrink. I never keep halibut at 22" or striped bass at 18" for that very reason. Actually witnessed this guy taking home a 22-inch flattie he scored on Berkeley Pier, only to be confronted at the parking lot and cited because the warden measured it out at 21 inches. Bummer.

+1. If I have to measure it twice, I throw it back.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 am
thebayway

Nice work, Snookie. Thanks for the report.

I caught my first and only halibut on a perch grub last spring. They're great table fare.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: