Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Central Coast Rocks, Feb 2 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm
frozendog

Low tide was at 5:30AM at 1.6ft
High tide was at 11:30 AM at 4.9ft

I started fishing around daybreak at a place I donít fish very often. Why? Itís getting hard to get down to the water because of the erosion. Not so bad getting down, but coming back up can be difficult. When I get down there, for the first few hours of fishing, all I think about is how I am going to get back out of there. But thatís part of rockfishing.

The morning started out slow, I didnít get a bite until right about noon, right at high tide. The fish was a 16Ē cab caught casting out far.

Fishing was still slow and I was thinking about moving when I made the first cast in close and got bite number two and fish number 2 - another 16Ē cab. Not big, but big enough for my frying pan.

That prompted me to make a few more casts in this spot, which led to bite number 3.

This fished looked like the identical twin of the first one. This fish bit right when one of the bigger surfer swells came through. I wasnít sure if it was the water or a bite, so I wound down to take the slack out of my line, pulled back and hooked a fish. So glad I did that and didnít assume it was just the water pulling on the line.

All fish were caught on squid.

Obviously, I did make it back up the bluff with my three fish or you wouldnít be hearing about this now.

Another interesting day on the Central Coast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm
therealhobos

Great report as always. When fishing the rocky shorelines, how do you decide where or what to cast at?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm
sea++

Beautiful trio of cabs! Looking at that weight, were you throwing 8oz?? Or is it a 3oz and the shadows are playing tricks on my eyes?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 pm
frozendog

therealhobos wrote:
When fishing the rocky shorelines, how do you decide where or what to cast at?

Thanks for the comments. Most spots, I cast to where I have gotten bit before. I keep a log, scout out spots at high tide, low tide, so I know the structure. Trial and error, experience fishing the spots. If you know the structure, you can cast toward the rocks you can't see, but you get snagged a lot. You just have to go out there and lose your sinkers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 pm
frozendog

sea++ wrote:
Looking at that weight, were you throwing 8oz?? Or is it a 3oz and the shadows are playing tricks on my eyes?

And the winner is....tricks on your eyes. I use 3oz 90% of the time and once in a while, 4oz. If 4oz won't hold, I quit and go scout out potential spots for another time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm
giantbrookie

Nice cabs and a really informative post as always. There are many lessons for comparative newbies like me, not the least of which is the perseverance: start fishing at daybreak and didn't get a bite until noon. Wow. My sessions are not long enough and I certainly don't stick with it long enough when things are slow.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 am
sea++

frozendog wrote:

And the winner is....tricks on your eyes. I use 3oz 90% of the time and once in a while, 4oz. If 4oz won't hold, I quit and go scout out potential spots for another time.

Wow that's a lot lighter than what I typically throw; 4oz on the lighter end unless I'm bottom bouncing, but typically 5 or 6oz. It's not so much that the swells are that big but rather some of the holes I fish are surrounded by jaggies or I'm fishing as close to the edge of a cliff wall as I can, and so the amount of energy even a weak swell produces as it terminates is strong enough to move around even a 5 or 6oz at times, and I'd like my tackle to stay put Smile

But back to your 3oz, is that typically because you find the areas you fish along the Central Coast are a bit calmer on average? Or do throw the 3oz against 4-5ft swells and just take into account that it's going to get pushed around a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 am
uglystick

I notice the terminal tackle is a three-way swirl. What is the advantage of this v.s. attaching hook on the dropper loop? Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm
frozendog

sea++ wrote:

But back to your 3oz, is that typically because you find the areas you fish along the Central Coast are a bit calmer on average? Or do throw the 3oz against 4-5ft swells and just take into account that it's going to get pushed around a bit?

The water is shallower here. There are some deeper spots but I haven't been fishing them lately. You have to wait for a really calm day to fish the deeper spots. Yes, I want the water to move the sinker and bait around a bit to get the fish's attention. But that also causes more snags...a trade-off. I do find that I get snagged less with a 3oz than with a 4. And 3oz sinkers are cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm
frozendog

uglystick wrote:
I notice the terminal tackle is a three-way swirl. What is the advantage of this v.s. attaching hook on the dropper loop? Thanks!

I use the 3-way swivels because I got a good deal on a bulk order. I used to use a dropper loop but a 3-way swivel is easier for old eyes to tie up a rig. I tie up 3 rigs and put them in a zip-lock bag. So that I save rigging time while fishing.

rigs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.08 KB
 Viewed:  852 Time(s)

rigs.jpg

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: