pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Central Coast Rocks January 29 and 30 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:12 pm
frozendog

Finally, some calm water. It’s been a while. I wish I could have waited a couple more days because the water had been rough and I would have liked to give the fish a couple more days to move back in. But these were the only calm days predicted. Also, these two days had the first minus tides for a while. I had a couple of places in mind where I can only fish at a minus tide. But just to make things more interesting, the morning high tide was really high, 6.5ft. Going to be a lot of water movement those days.

January 29:
First cast at high tide, I got a nice 17” cab.

The fish bit on frozen squid casting out far. This was going to be fun! A good fish on the first cast of the day. Then, I didn’t get another bite until the afternoon when I was at the low tide spot. Fishing euphoria doesn’t last long.

I continued fishing with no bites until I was snagged. I was pulling on the snag trying to get it loose, and of course, it wouldn’t come loose. So I slacked off on my line, waited a moment, and got bit. I hooked the fish and it pulled me off the snag. I worked him in and found another 17” cabezon.

I was really lucky as the line was frayed on my leader and main line from the snag in the rocks, but it held until I got the fish in. The fish was caught on a smelt chunk casting out far.

I had lots of bait and lots of sinkers left but with two fish, I decided to head on home and come back the next day to fish a couple of high tide spots I had in mind.

But thinking of the cabs, this is how I like to eat them. They make really good fish and chips. Took them to our favorite Mexican restaurant a couple of days later for the hot tub treatment.

January 30:
High tide was around 8 AM at 6.5ft. I had two spots in mind that were close together. Unfortunately, the water was so high that I couldn’t get around the first point to get to the next point I had in mind. So I had to stay in one place, naturally, the spot that hasn’t yielded as many fish for me. I fished for about an hour and something grabbed my bait and took off at high speed. The fish put up quite a fight and I though I might have hooked that rare ling - maybe next time. This fish was a 19” grass rockfish - a big boy! In fact, too big.

I was only casting about half way out. He was in surprisingly close, right up against a rock. I thought there might be a cab there and was surprised when a rockfish bit.

Great fish, but it deserved to go back into the gene pool and produce some more nice fish. Throwing a fish back is a lot easier to do when you have a couple of cabs at home in the fridge.

Where are those big waves when I want to get a fish back in the water.

Finally, one of the bigger surfer waves came in and washed him back out.

By then, the water was low enough to get around point A to point B and do some more fishing . I fished to about half tide and got the final hit. This one a 14 1/2” grass rockfish caught on squid. This one was not as lucky, but I was to take home another nice fish.

Two casts later, the wind picked up, the water picked up and I picked up all my gear and called it a day. The spots that I fished on both days are winter spots. During the summer they are choked with kelp and are nearly impossible to fish. So, I was happy to finally get some decent water and be able to fish these spots.

The rockfish were pan seared and served with an orange marmelade glaze and some fried potatoes. Fisherman comfort food.

Got some good fish dinners on the beautiful Central Coast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm
sea++

Lovely report as always and, as always, an absolute monster hauled in from shore. A 19" grassy?! Beautiful fish.

Looking at that final grassy you caught, I noticed a couple things I wanted to ask about: How long is that sinker's leader? 12"? I guess I tend to fish my bottom hook closer to the bottom but also maybe that's part of what I'm doing wrong since you catch way more quality fish that I do.

Second, the hook in that grassy looks like a "J" hook, and not an octopus like I would have expected. Is that right? I've plenty hookups on some stout owner octos but I definitely lament the lack of barbs along the shank to keep the bait on there a little while longer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 pm
Ken Jones

Love them species!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm
frozendog

sea++ wrote:

Looking at that final grassy you caught, I noticed a couple things I wanted to ask about: How long is that sinker's leader? 12"? I guess I tend to fish my bottom hook closer to the bottom but also maybe that's part of what I'm doing wrong since you catch way more quality fish that I do.

Second, the hook in that grassy looks like a "J" hook, and not an octopus like I would have expected. Is that right? I've plenty hookups on some stout owner octos but I definitely lament the lack of barbs along the shank to keep the bait on there a little while longer.

I use two different leaders. One 12” and another at 18” Each with just a single J hook.
I use the shorter leader in shallower water. I use the old standby J hooks because I lose so many hooks. I buy them in bulk by the 100.
Keep fishing and you will find the right combo for where you are fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm
frozendog

Ken Jones wrote:
Love them species!

If I catch another 200 different species, I may catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 am
RobF

Hey FD -- I sent you a PM, but I don't know if PM is working. Let me know if you did not get it.

Rob
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am
Salty Nick v2

Nice fishing! That's a big grassie - kudos on the release! I like your de-snagging method of letting the fish do the work for you!

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm
frozendog

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
I like your de-snagging method of letting the fish do the work for you!

Salty.

I'm sure you have done the same thing. One of the tricks that we vets know.

Is your daughter still out-fishing you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 pm
Salty Nick v2

frozendog wrote:
Salty Nick v2 wrote:
I like your de-snagging method of letting the fish do the work for you!

Salty.

I'm sure you have done the same thing. One of the tricks that we vets know.

Is your daughter still out-fishing you?

I actually have done that a few times. Or other times, I thought I was snagged but got rocked by a fish that eventually swam out with patience and a slacked line.

We haven't been out for a while, but she usually outfishes me.

Salty.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: