pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> This is a first for me. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:08 pm
Rebop

I was at San Gregorio today during the incoming tide. I was originally out for crabs but this perch had another idea.

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm
sea++

How in the... how did you... huh?!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm
Rebop

This was about the second or third cast.
I was just sussing out the current and working a flat section of beach like normal. I set my rod in the sand spike and started strolling the beach for glass and interesting washed up bits.
Occasional glances back to my rig to make sure everything is still good and I notice the rod tip dancing around a bit. I jog back and gently pull on the line to feel whats going on; something is there but it doesnt feel right... all that missing squid after the first cast or two should have been a clue. I thought it was a ray or something that wouldn't let go. I was very confused as I was pulling it in. Even after I got it on the sand it took a moment to process.

I immediately changed to a Carolina rig with 2oz egg, flouro leader and #2 hook with a 2 or 3 inch piece of gulp sandworm. (Had to change reels too but it was worth it).
Managed to get a decent redtail after that.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 am
charro

Was that you I spoke with yesterday around 3 pm? You mentioned you had caught a perch, but I did not notice what rig you were using.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am
Rebop

That was me! I had just changed to the carolina rig and moved to a steeper part of the beach when you walked by. About 10 minutes after you left I got that redtail.
A few more casts and my sandworm got absolutely obliterated by something (felt like a whale of a perch), with dinner already in my bag I called it a day.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am
sea++

Awesome story! I knew throwing out a cage filled with bait would attract nearshore fish but this is the first time I've ever heard of someone catching a fish in one of the snare loops. Very cool.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am
Rebop

Coming from Florida I was surprised it took this long. A baited snare wouldn't work where I'm from due to the number of fish (I never even saw a crab snare before moving out here 2 years ago).

To give you an idea, here is a random vid of a pier by my old house. I don't even think the bait would reach the bottom before it was gone.

https://youtu.be/yh9t3Rfts9o
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:34 pm
sea++

Rebop wrote:
Coming from Florida I was surprised it took this long. A baited snare wouldn't work where I'm from due to the number of fish (I never even saw a crab snare before moving out here 2 years ago).

To give you an idea, here is a random vid of a pier by my old house. I don't even think the bait would reach the bottom before it was gone.

https://youtu.be/yh9t3Rfts9o

Haha I guess so. Really cool footage though! Here it seems to be the opposite if you're bottom fishing. If they're around it's near impossible to keep crabs off the bait long enough for a fish to take it. That's why if it's feasible where I'm fishing, to take a snare with me and hand-line it near where I'm casting to keep the crabs occupied while I drop my line around different spots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 am
Sofa King

I have actually caught perch and leopard sharks in my snares. On several occasions. I even once caught a sand dab.
If its in the loop when pulled its caught.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm
dompfa ben

Very cool. I've caught a few mackerel at piers that hit the shiny torpedo sinker so hard, it pierced their bottom jaw and went clean through.

But my favorite: I once caught a barred surf perch, in which I discovered 65 cents when I filleted her... two quarters, a nickel, and a dime. Really cleaned-out some unsuspecting kid of his milk money, apparently!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm
mav

Lol Wow!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: