pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Pacific Bonito revised [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm
Ken Jones


Posts: 9718
Location: California

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2012/02/pacific-bonito-%e2%80%94-a-true-fighting-fish/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 am
mav


Posts: 248

I think my older bro knows that guy on th IB (Imperial Beach) pic. I'm probably fishing closer to the restroom. It gets too crowded at the end.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 am
mav


Posts: 248

There is also a small population that hangs out in the warm waters of south san diego bay but I DO believe they are too over fished now. At one point in the late 90s, when nobody knew about them, you coud hook up on a huge 6 pounder during the cooler months. Now you'd only get rare 2 pounders and far between. These days you would have 15 anglers bunched together, all targeting the occasional bait boils, lines crossing everywhere, tempers flairing. Not Fun!

I'd rather go fish for dinky bay bass in peace.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm
Ken Jones


Posts: 9718
Location: California

mav wrote:
There is also a small population that hangs out in the warm waters of south san diego bay but I DO believe they are too over fished now. At one point in the late 90s, when nobody knew about them, you coud hook up on a huge 6 pounder during the cooler months. Now you'd only get rare 2 pounders and far between. These days you would have 15 anglers bunched together, all targeting the occasional bait boils, lines crossing everywhere, tempers flairing. Not Fun!

I'd rather go fish for dinky bay bass in peace.


I thought I read somewhere that there was a power plant that discharged warm water into the south bay and that perhaps it was no longer doing that. Do you know if that is true?

_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 pm
sphunfishing


Posts: 81

I used to catch these at Long Beach and Redondo Beach. They can put up a fight. The popular way to catch these was with Bonito fly, with a clear bubble caster filled with BBs. That's what I used back in the days.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm
Ken Jones


Posts: 9718
Location: California

sphunfishing wrote:
I used to catch these at Long Beach and Redondo Beach. They can put up a fight. The popular way to catch these was with Bonito fly, with a clear bubble caster filled with BBs. That's what I used back in the days.



Yep, in the article.

_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm
mav


Posts: 248

Ken Jones wrote:
mav wrote:
There is also a small population that hangs out in the warm waters of south san diego bay but I DO believe they are too over fished now. At one point in the late 90s, when nobody knew about them, you coud hook up on a huge 6 pounder during the cooler months. Now you'd only get rare 2 pounders and far between. These days you would have 15 anglers bunched together, all targeting the occasional bait boils, lines crossing everywhere, tempers flairing. Not Fun!

I'd rather go fish for dinky bay bass in peace.


I thought I read somewhere that there was a power plant that discharged warm water into the south bay and that perhaps it was no longer doing that. Do you know if that is true?


There was, but it's been shut down for a few years and now it's gone, as of 2 years ago. The bonito are still around. I think it's a "food" thing or a combination of the sort, with the relatively warm water. You can see them chasing bait fish in December and January. It's possible they are a lesser known inshore strain. I say that because the stripping closer to the tail is slightly more horizontal. It's odd looking compared to the ocean caught bonito at near by Imperial Beach during the late summer and fall. These fish were first being caught in decent numbers during one of the el nino years in the late 90s. After prior el ninos, the ocean going bonito would reach the south bay and disappear the next year but these fish hung around and stayed.

On a possible related note, now there is a estuary restoration provides project going on in the south bay around the Otay River delta.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: