Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Ferries to the Fort Baker Pier? I hope not. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 am
Ken Jones

http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20180130/NEWS/180139984
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm
songslinger

I've been hearing about this for a long while. 2015 was the first proposal for a ferry that made it to a council vote. Even before that, the National Park people have been gentrifying the Fort Baker area, evicting long term boat residents (some of whom served our country in military combat) and sprucing up the commons to make Cavallo Point Lodge even more attractive for the very well-to-do.

The Sausalito city council voted this proposal down in summer 2015 and looks to be heading that way again. On the other side, each time this comes up, San Francisco has not been keen on a ferry project at Fort Mason. (This would be the main connector to Fort Baker's proposed ferry.)

But one day they will relent. Lawyers are tenacious and do not like to lose. Developers are likewise. Cities are cash strapped and will endorse anything that seems like a profitable venture.

Originally this ferry was conceived for special events only. Now it's to be twice a day and 200 people per ride. If you've ever driven or used that area during peak hours with museum traffic, you can see how packed it gets. This almost doubles the crowd.

The pier will close when the renovation commences. Who can say if or when it will reopen. The adjacent jetty will be congested and littered.

As in most developments, fishing and conservation are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 am
Ken Jones

I saw the lodge (and increased number of cars) the last time I was there. To me this proposal doesn't make much sense but as you say, fishing and conservation seem to be irrelevant, at least to some.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm
xpostman

Cool only $400 to $900 per night. The popular trend is to roll back National Park boundaries for private enterprises, ranching, mining, fracking, etc... I feel this is only the beginning.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am
pinfish

pretty soon Crissy
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: