pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> New pier for the Bay area - we'll see [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 am
Ken Jones

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Bay-Bridge-officials-planning-18-million-fishing-12513619.php
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am
beutelevision

I wonder if this would be a good halibut spot.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am
Ken Jones

I know there used to be at least one fishing pier on Treasure Island and reports said it offered good fishing. Always wished I had fished it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 am
fatcartmon

Coming from the East Bay would be a hassle:

Paying Toll
Traffic going in
Traffic coming out

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm
skyhook

There was a short piece on local news stations recently about the proposal to build a new public fishing pier extending out from the area near the roadway landing of the eastern span of the Bay Bridge. The artist conception showed a pier that was fairly long, being supported by the remaining pilings from the old eastern span. Not sure how something like that would be funded, or how that would impact any plans to restore Berkeley Pier.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am
pinfish

fished the old Treasure Island fishing pier before. Lots of kingfish, bullheads, and sharks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 am
songslinger

pinfish wrote:
fished the old Treasure Island fishing pier before. Lots of kingfish, bullheads, and sharks

+1, though kingfish seem to be MIA all over the bays now. On the east side, facing Emeryville, I've picked up perch and the occasional cabezon.

beutelevision wrote:
I wonder if this would be a good halibut spot.

Good question. I target halibut and have fished for the weird-eyed flatfish in the bays and in the ocean. When it comes to Yerba Buena and Treasure Island, boats rule for halibut, and most of the success is north of TI on the shallower and sandy flats. Halibut congregate in that habitat during the spawning season. That's why you could catch them on Berkeley Pier. Pretty deep and rocky around Yerba Buena, more of the province of sharks and rays. I used to park my van right next to a footing/pillar at Yerba Buena (obviously before 9/11) and fish facing east. Tons of large pogies and the ubiquitous bat rays.

Keep in mind that construction tends to roil up the bottom and make the water funky, plus all the noise. This scatters fish, and it takes years, sometimes, for an area to sweeten up again and produce good fishing. Unless they remove all the old cables and who-knows-whatever insofar as submerged toxic barrels and sundry construction beams and rebar, it could also be a place of many snags.

If that pier gets built it will probably be good for perch, rays, and sharks, but you might get lucky and pick up a wandering halibut or, more likely, a striper. Don't think it would be my first choice, though.

fatcarmon wrote:

Coming from the East Bay would be a hassle:

Paying Toll
Traffic going in
Traffic coming out

I know that's right! And the more attractive to the general public, the more of a nightmare parking will be.

Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: